Author Topic: Halloween 2012, The Thread  (Read 24929 times)

Black Delphinium

• The Black Flower
  • Super Hero!
Halloween 2012, The Thread
« on: August 30, 2012, 11:16:48 PM »
So, who's planning already?

I really want to be Flame Princess from Adventure Time:, but there's no "official" costume for her, and the only custom-made one I've seen is a bit too dear.

So I'm thinking of ordering this dress: and this wig: and just making due with make-up and stuff.

So, what are everyone else's costume plans?
When angels go bad, they go worse than anyone. Remember, Lucifer was an angel. ~The Marquis De Carabas

MamaMootz

• I'm a lumberjack and I'm O.K....
Re: Halloween 2012, The Thread
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2012, 12:28:26 AM »
Black Delphinim, that dress works beautifully for Princess Flame!

I'm feeling pretty ambitious this year. I want to be a Minion.

DD wants to be GIR from Invader Zim:

I can find neither costume so I'm going to have to make both of them. And I really can't sew all that well. But I think if I can find a neon green hoodie I can add GIR features to it and she can wear it with black tights. The Minion will be harder.

I've been searching the internet for costume instructions and I found some solutions for both.... and also some really cool house decoration ideas as well with stuff you can make at home. It's going to be a great Halloween at our house!
"I like pie" - DD's Patented Bean Dip Maneuver

Jules1980

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2012, 12:48:35 AM »
I saw a minion costume on Pinterest that was blue overalls and yellow hoodie with the hair sewn or maybe glued on top.  Looked like they used black pipe cleaners.  Then the kids faces were painted yellow and they had on fake black rimmed glasses.

http://www.coolest-homemade-costumes.com/coolest-homemade-minions-costume.html
« Last Edit: August 31, 2012, 12:54:53 AM by Jules1980 »

Nibsey

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2012, 09:19:14 AM »
I'm hoping to get my friend to go as Deadpool and then I'll go as Domino. I already have the pale skin and short hair. I'll have to get a "cheap" black catsuit and I'll prob be mistaken for Catwoman but I'm really looking forward to it.
“I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.”- Douglas Adams
Éire (Ireland)

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2012, 09:27:42 AM »
I've had various ideas for this year.

1st idea: Myself and the Babe going as the Wicked Witch of the West and a Flying Monkey.
2nd idea: Doing a family theme. Dressing  my 3 boys up as the Despicable Me minions, DH as Gru and myself as...um, I dunno, one of the girls or another minion! LOL!
3rd idea: Muppets theme.  We've been watching Muppet movies and playing the Muppets version of Bohemian Rhapsody, and the Babe seems to really like Animal, so I thought of dressing him up like him for Halloween and if the boys want to, making them into different Muppets, somehow. 

That and really, by then he'll be a week shy of his first birthday and Animal? Toddler? Perfect fit! LOL!
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Valentines Mommy

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2012, 09:30:18 AM »
We have dogs, so they are getting the costumes! Valentine is going to be a Honey Badger. We have doggie spray that washes out for that. Hogan is going to be a Vampire; all he needs is a cape. Saber is going to wear bat wings.

Spencer and Tracy are getting camo doggie spray stenciled on them. They will be wearing red "I'm adoptable" collar flags.

We have lots of children in my area and they love the dog costumes, the pumpkin display (10 carved and lit up our walk way) and the fact we give everone enough candy to keep local dentists busy.

I love Halloween!

O'Dell

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2012, 10:23:41 AM »
Oops...hit post by mistake.  :-[
Do I contradict myself? Very well, then I contradict myself, I am large, I contain multitudes.
Walt Whitman

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2012, 10:42:01 AM »
I'm hoping to get my friend to go as Deadpool and then I'll go as Domino. I already have the pale skin and short hair. I'll have to get a "cheap" black catsuit and I'll prob be mistaken for Catwoman but I'm really looking forward to it.

If you're looking for a cheap, black catsuit, you might consider a dive-skin.  These are light-weight, comfortable and reasonably priced garments that make come in a variety of colors and make great bases for all sorts of Super-Hero costumes. 

Tabby Uprising

« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2012, 11:19:30 AM »
YAY! Halloween halloween halloween! *running in circles with much flailing of the arms*

I am excited.

Love Halloween and this is the first time in forever that I get to celebrate in a house!  We have a yard I can adorn with well-intentioned by poorly executed jack-o-lanterns and our neighborhood is packed with kids! Yippee! I have to stop myself from packing the pantry and all available closet space with candy.  If you have decorating ideas - lemme have 'em!

Black Delphinium, I am not familiar with the character, but your costume will be stunning!  That dress is gorgeous!

Piratelvr - I love the Wicked Witch/flying monkey idea and the muppet one and your 1 year old going as Animal.  Do them all? ;D

I want to go as Legolas, but all the costumes are for men.  My only concern with that is sizing.  I can't sew, but I can easily find leggings/long shirt/boots to put together.  I do want the elf ears though!

Yeah, I wanted a costume that wasn't too heavy, didn't rely on wigs/headpieces (have an almost one year old myself), and wasn't too revealing.  I thought of going as an astronaut, but all the female costumes were not what I'd feel comfortable wearing around the moms group. Legolas it is!

Nibsey

« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2012, 03:34:24 PM »

If you're looking for a cheap, black catsuit, you might consider a dive-skin.  These are light-weight, comfortable and reasonably priced garments that make come in a variety of colors and make great bases for all sorts of Super-Hero costumes.

That's a great idea! Especially as I was considering getting a dive-suit anyway for sea swimming so I don't mind investing in that anyway. Thanks  :)
“I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.”- Douglas Adams
Éire (Ireland)

magician5

« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2012, 04:45:49 PM »
I'm busy working on the annual Halloween episode of my PODCAST and I just about have enough ideas (but not quite).

(P.S. - That's one of Edmund J. Sullivan's illustrations to The Rubaiyat of Omar Khayyam ... I added color)
« Last Edit: August 31, 2012, 04:49:24 PM by magician5 »
There is no 'way to peace.' Peace is the way.

TheVapors

• Oh my! I should lay down...
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2012, 05:19:11 PM »
I'm just gonna put this post here, then. I don't have any parties, and I live in a building so children don't come here to get candy, but I love Halloween ^^ So I want to be able to see all these awesome costume ideas.

If I were able to get any costume I'd want, I think I'd go all Masquerade Ball. But, I always want to do Masquerade costumes. (Because they're so pretty!)

Maybe I'd do a joke costume and dress up like Liefeld's Captain America and paint up a refrigerator box.

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2012, 06:24:03 PM »
Because I'm of a somewhat advanced age and have tons of odd clothes hanging around the place, I usually go for a generic 'Member of the Wizarding Folk' or a  'Pirate-like' character.  I have also been known to be an Egyptian Lady or a Druid if I can find the appropriate wigs. 

Because our neighborhood has a lot of creative types, a large number of children and a vibrant LGBT community, Halloween is THE holiday here. I'm really looking forward to the parties, the pet costume shows, the trick or treating along 7th Avenue and the evening parade. 

Woo Hoo! I love Halloween. 

Also, it's Mr. Thipu's Birthday

GSNW

« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2012, 06:29:22 PM »
I love love love the minion idea.  Sometimes our hall at shook coordinates on costumes, this one would be perfect.  One year DH and I made tshirts, mine said "grape jelly" and his said "peanut butter..." the students thought it was hilarious.

MamaMootz

• I'm a lumberjack and I'm O.K....
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2012, 01:58:14 AM »
@jules, I love the way that lady put the Minions together - very creative. I found this link on it and was going to try and attempt it:

http://www.instructables.com/id/Despicable-Me-Minion-Costume/

The sizing may be tough though as I am a plus sized person. But we will see what I can come up with. If DH is around this year, maybe I can get him to be Gru instead of his usual V for Vendetta.
"I like pie" - DD's Patented Bean Dip Maneuver