Author Topic: Halloween 2012, The Thread  (Read 25074 times)

MrsCrazyPete

Re: Halloween 2012, The Thread
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2012, 09:01:50 AM »
YAAAAAAYYY HALLOWEEEEEEN!!!! Ack I'm so excited!! I think this year DH & I are doing Great Gatsby-themed costumes...not sure though, all the flapper costumes are quite "oomph-y" if you know what I mean  ::) Which is basically the opposite of a flapper anyway. So I'm not sure yet.

I also love dressing up as cartoon characters...we've done Smurfs, Thundercats, and Roger & Jessica Rabbit in years past. Maybe the Flintstones this year.

We always have a huge party, complete with costume contests. DH goes a little nuts with decorations as soon as the Halloween store goes up at the mall. Last year we had a half a dozen jack o lanterns, a cemetery area, strobe lights and ghosts hanging from the trees...and that was just outside! He's talking about a fog machine this year.
Sell crazy somewhere else, we're all stocked up here.

MamaMootz

• I'm a lumberjack and I'm O.K....
« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2012, 05:45:33 PM »
YAAAAAAYYY HALLOWEEEEEEN!!!! Ack I'm so excited!! I think this year DH & I are doing Great Gatsby-themed costumes...not sure though, all the flapper costumes are quite "oomph-y" if you know what I mean  ::) Which is basically the opposite of a flapper anyway. So I'm not sure yet.

I also love dressing up as cartoon characters...we've done Smurfs, Thundercats, and Roger & Jessica Rabbit in years past. Maybe the Flintstones this year.

We always have a huge party, complete with costume contests. DH goes a little nuts with decorations as soon as the Halloween store goes up at the mall. Last year we had a half a dozen jack o lanterns, a cemetery area, strobe lights and ghosts hanging from the trees...and that was just outside! He's talking about a fog machine this year.

If you want to get him really excited, have him check this site out:
http://www.halloweenmonsterlist.info/

I plan on doing a number of projects for the front of our house this year.
"I like pie" - DD's Patented Bean Dip Maneuver

Aria

« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2012, 07:24:36 PM »
Great idea, Black Delphinium! Flame Princess is awesome. I'm going as Princess Bubblegum. I bought the dress from someone on Etsy (she sells a Flame Princess costume as well, but it's really pricey!) and a long pink wig from eBay.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2012, 09:44:12 PM »
My older two would love those of you going as Adventure Time characters! :) I saw a backpack in Spencer's once, made to look like Jake's face but the durned thing was $50 and sorry, I'm not paying $50 for my child's backpack.  Not when it looked like I was probably paying more for the name than the quality. :P

Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

KenveeB

• Super Hero!
« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2012, 10:02:47 PM »
I always have two costumes -- one for handing out candy, and one for the Halloween party. When I hand out candy, the dogs are with me in matching costume. This year I'm going to pull out my poodle skirt & 50s gear, so I'm going to get a leather jacket for my boy dog and a Pink Ladies jacket for my girl. :)

No idea yet on the party costume, though. I want something I can pull together out of my existing costume pieces and very little money, so we'll see what I come up with.

magician5

« Reply #20 on: September 02, 2012, 03:21:50 PM »
Any party I'm invited to, I'm going disguised as a normal person.

No one will ever guess that it's really me.
There is no 'way to peace.' Peace is the way.

White Lotus

« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2012, 07:44:12 PM »
One of the Professor's family members, many years ago, dubbed me the Wicked Witch of the West.  I loved it, and that is my every year go-to costume.  Dead easy, too.  Black dress and my Special Hat and Gloves.  The Professor points out every single year that Hallowe'en is a Druidic/Pagan/Christian festival and as Good Buddhists we should ignore the whole thing, so I won't get far with the absolutely great Fying Monkey idea, though we will be going to at least one party.  He always goes as a professor.  Maybe I can suggest one from Hogworts!

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2012, 08:40:37 AM »
One of the Professor's family members, many years ago, dubbed me the Wicked Witch of the West.  I loved it, and that is my every year go-to costume.  Dead easy, too.  Black dress and my Special Hat and Gloves.  The Professor points out every single year that Hallowe'en is a Druidic/Pagan/Christian festival and as Good Buddhists we should ignore the whole thing, so I won't get far with the absolutely great Fying Monkey idea, though we will be going to at least one party.  He always goes as a professor.  Maybe I can suggest one from Hogworts!

This is a suggestion the Professor may agree to.

Some years ago, Mr. Thipu and I went to a costume party dressed as 'Death and Taxes'.  Since you already have the black dress, there's little more you have to do. 
The Professor can wear a business suit with play money sticking out from his pockets and sleeves. 

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #23 on: September 03, 2012, 10:04:18 AM »
About a month ago the heavy bag with the costumes in it fell from my closet shelf.  That's a message to me to not miss Halloween this year.

Based on what is likely to fit me I will be one of the following:

• Mae West
  • Dame Justice
  • Brunhilde (as in the opera)

Decision to come.

QueenofAllThings

« Reply #24 on: September 03, 2012, 06:38:33 PM »
Not much of a Halloween person, so we (when invited to a party) go the lazy route.

Sometimes we go as Sick and Tired (he's usually Sick, I'm Tired)

The King has been G*d's gift to Women (put a big bow on him with a gift tag that says To: Women From: G*d)

I will wear a t-shirt that says "Go Ceilings!!!!" (you guessed it - ceiling fan)

A brown monk's habit, with bags of chips stapled all over it - Chip Monk

I could go on ...

MamaMootz

• I'm a lumberjack and I'm O.K....
« Reply #25 on: September 03, 2012, 07:20:55 PM »
I put up Spooky Town today. I couldn't help it. I haven't been able to put it up since we lost our house two years ago, and now that we have a house again, I just couldn't wait until October.
"I like pie" - DD's Patented Bean Dip Maneuver

magicdomino

« Reply #27 on: September 04, 2012, 03:28:51 PM »
No costumes, but I'm working on decorations.  This year's paper mache creation is a giant venus fly trap.   We'll see what happens.   :D

This poster has been mounted on plywood, and I'll varnish it later.  Perhaps a bloody handprint will be a nice touch:

http://www.amazon.com/Warning-Please-Zombies-Poster-Print/dp/B004V3D5DG/ref=pd_sim_hg_1

I made some dead flower fairies, courtesy of an idea from Halloween Forum:

http://www.halloweenforum.com/halloween-props/118340-dead-evil-fairies-very-cheap-make.html 

Alas, the sheet that supplied the dress fabric must be heavy on the polyester; it neither wrinkled nor picked up the coffee stain.  So now my fairies look like they are wearing really bad dresses, and not dead flowers.  I'll just stick them in the dark someplace.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #28 on: September 04, 2012, 03:32:38 PM »
Okay, I think it's been decided. The Babe is going to be Animal, from the Muppets.  The little guy loves to "drum" (as in banging on things with his hands) so we could just give him little drumsticks and let him go wild! :)

I haven't seen many Animal costumes that would fit a 1 year old so I may have to get creative.  I'm thinking a plain orange hoodie with a bunch of red and orange hair stuck to it, brown pants, and a red and yellow vest of sorts.  A white rope belt and a chain with plastic links (He'll probably chew on them, but I'd imagine that would add to the Animal look!)

And I love playing Dark Shadows music. :)
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

gingerzing

« Reply #29 on: September 04, 2012, 04:26:34 PM »
We get to dress up at the office.  (Employees are encouraged to bring in their little ones after 4PM)  Most people have candy dishes out.
In years past, I have brought my dog in.  Usually dressed to match my costume.*
This year, Sadie-girl probably won't come.  She is getting older and it gets to be a little too much with all the kids and costumes. 
And since last year I went home sick the day before (flu, darn it)  I will probably track down some of what I was planning for.  I was going to try Steampunk for the first time. 

*List of costumes for human/dog that Sadie and I have done.

First year - I dressed up in jeans, flannel shirt, bucket hat and stuck smilie face stickers all over.  Carried a roasting stick and my Coleman lantern.  I was the Happy Camper.    When I brought in Sadie, I had her lay down and had a small "tent" placed over her so she could be my Pup Tent.  (It had a sticker on one side that said Camp Gatto with a cat image on it)
Second year - I dressed as Little Red Riding Hood (my whole department dressed as different storybook characters) and got an old "granny style" nightgown for Sadie to wear and put a kerchief over her ears.  She was the Wolf in Granny's clothes.
Third year - I had torn out parts of calendars and pinned them on my shirt.  I was a Calendar Girl.  Sadie had individual days from a Word-A-Day calendar (specifically July and August dates) pinned to her bandana and she was the Dog Days of Summer.
Fourth year - I went as Minnie Mouse and put a red colar on Sadie so she was Pluto.
Fifth year - I dressed up as a Flower Child and put a bandana on Sadie with a badge that she was a Drug Sniffing Dog. 

I think I am missing two years but I can't remember.