Author Topic: Halloween 2012, The Thread  (Read 24714 times)

Tabby Uprising

Re: Halloween 2012, The Thread
« Reply #45 on: September 06, 2012, 03:40:21 PM »
I've given up on doing couples costume since DH hasn't come to the past few Halloween parties, so DH is on his own (which means no costume).  This year I think I'm going to do Black Swan.  I have a black leotard and tights and silver fashion ballet flat.  I might do a mask instead of the makeup and I trying to decide if I want to make a tutu or rent one...

But typing out this response made me think of an idea...Grunge...maybe I can get my DH to go as an early 90's grunge couple...should be easy...

Oh, I love this idea too! It'd be a beautiful costume!

Nikko-chan

« Reply #46 on: September 06, 2012, 03:46:42 PM »
I want to be a "Midnight" fairy. I have the dark blue wings... but so far the only costumes I see are adult styled sexy little black numbers... (i was trying to get inspiration).

magicdomino

« Reply #47 on: September 06, 2012, 03:55:26 PM »
I want to be a "Midnight" fairy. I have the dark blue wings... but so far the only costumes I see are adult styled sexy little black numbers... (i was trying to get inspiration).

Tea-length dark blue bridesmaid dress (from Craigslist or thrift store, of course) and silver ballet flats.  Silver sequins sewn or glued to the dress are optional.

violinp

• cabbagegirl28's my sister :)
« Reply #48 on: September 06, 2012, 08:14:19 PM »
Who all is gonna be watching scary movies? I'm gonna watch as many as I can, and also watch Scariest Movie Moments of All Time on Bravo.
"It takes a great deal of courage to stand up to your enemies, but even more to stand up to your friends" - Harry Potter

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #49 on: September 06, 2012, 08:51:22 PM »
I love Hammer films.  I will probably dig out the Christopher Lee ones and have a Dracula marathon on some day during that season.

KenveeB

• Super Hero!
« Reply #50 on: September 06, 2012, 10:41:31 PM »
I love Hammer films.  I will probably dig out the Christopher Lee ones and have a Dracula marathon on some day during that season.

I'm a huge Christopher Lee fan, so I take any excuse to watch his movies. :)  I always watch them during October and have a marathon on the weekend before Halloween. (Plus my annual "chocolate, Chinese food, and classic horror movies" Valentine's celebration. :))

MrsVandy

• Formally futurelillady
« Reply #51 on: September 06, 2012, 11:01:57 PM »
Black Delphinim I love your idea for flame princess. Adventure time is so awesome its how Gunter the kitten got his name. DH and I were thinking of doing adventure time but I called Finn so maybe next year.

This year we are doing The Monarch and Dr. Girlfriend.

Edited because I can use spellcheck and add a picture properly
« Last Edit: September 06, 2012, 11:07:20 PM by MrsVandy »

Nikko-chan

« Reply #52 on: September 06, 2012, 11:12:10 PM »

Tea-length dark blue bridesmaid dress (from Craigslist or thrift store, of course) and silver ballet flats.  Silver sequins sewn or glued to the dress are optional.

Thank you for the ideas!

HoneyBee42

« Reply #53 on: September 06, 2012, 11:39:05 PM »
Where I live, "Trunk or Treat" is more common than Trick or Treat (as we learned to our chagrin last year--there were more houses not participating than were).  My parish is in the midst of building a new church building which means that we really won't have a parking lot.  My pastor is contemplating two options--one is doing a joint "Trunk or Treat" w/ a nearby church, the other is to have it out in the parish cemetery in the empty section where no one's buried yet.

I don't know--I think the cemetery option sounds really fun, except ... would many parents think it ok to take their kids there?

TheVapors

• Oh my! I should lay down...
« Reply #54 on: September 07, 2012, 10:40:54 AM »
Who all is gonna be watching scary movies? I'm gonna watch as many as I can, and also watch Scariest Movie Moments of All Time on Bravo.

I am a big wuss, and can't watch most scary movies without being a big scaredy pants!  ;D

So I watch cheesy/fun Halloween themed episodes of shows and movies of that nature. For example, pretty much every year I have to watch Hocus Pocus. At least once.

sevenday

« Reply #55 on: September 07, 2012, 10:45:47 AM »
Honey, I think it's all in how they frame it.  Rather than CRUD MONKEYS! SCARY CEMETERY FULL OF DEAD PEOPLE  they could say to the parents, "Cemeteries are not only for mourning.  They should also be places to celebrate love and family, and we want the children to be encouraged to see it as such.  Please bring your children to the (roped off) section and let them socialize and get some candy and treats from family and friends."  I don't see a cemetery as automatically a place of horror, death, etc.  They are often quite peaceful and quiet, so... I wouldn't be against it, but - maybe poll the parents themselves.

Jones

« Reply #56 on: September 07, 2012, 10:49:34 AM »
No one is buried in the cemetery yet? I doubt anyone will have misgivings about a trunk-r-treat held within, then.

Tabby Uprising

« Reply #57 on: September 07, 2012, 11:40:42 AM »

I am a big wuss, and can't watch most scary movies without being a big scaredy pants!  ;D

So I watch cheesy/fun Halloween themed episodes of shows and movies of that nature. For example, pretty much every year I have to watch Hocus Pocus. At least once.

Me too.  I love scary movies, but I simply can't watch them if I want any sleep for the next... year.  And have you ever noticed how weird your pets act after you've watched a scary movie?  My cats always seem to dart around the house or stare wild-eyed into empty corners when I'm creeped out and I frantically ask them "what the heck are you looking at? What's there?!"

But I love Hocus Pocus too and watch it every year.

HoneyBee42

« Reply #58 on: September 07, 2012, 01:22:33 PM »
No one is buried in the cemetery yet? I doubt anyone will have misgivings about a trunk-r-treat held within, then.
Well, there are people buried in the cemetery, it's just there's about a third of the whole cemetery that's empty which is where the suggested spot for trunk-or-treat is.
Of course, what I'd worry about is that there's woods around it and that means deer, but otherwise, I'd think it'd be fun (embrace the spookiness!)--but this event isn't just for parishioners, but all of the town's kids, so it'd be hard to poll.

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #59 on: September 08, 2012, 10:56:37 AM »

True.  If no one is yet buried in that section, there shouldn't be a problem with Trunk-or-Treat. 

However, attitudes towards cemeteries vary from place to place. When I was a child, the local cemetery was a popular gathering place on summer Saturday afternoons.  People would mow the lawns and tend the plants around the graves.  Late in the day, we'd set out our picnic suppers and share goodies. 

The cemetery was also the best place in town for sledding in the winter. 

When I mention this to later friends, they're aghast that we did these things.