Author Topic: Halloween 2012, The Thread  (Read 24119 times)

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
Re: Halloween 2012, The Thread
« Reply #75 on: September 13, 2012, 10:17:11 AM »
Love the kid dressed as a toilet!

In the neighborhood we've had kids dressed as a washing machine, a bag of leaves and even a slice of California roll.  The use of packing peanuts for the rice and a black garbage bag for the seaweed wrap was particularly nice. 

KenveeB

• Super Hero!
« Reply #76 on: September 13, 2012, 10:33:05 AM »
My first Halloween in my house, I had a girl show up dressed as a toilet. She got tons of candy. :)

Zilla

• Super Hero!
    • Cooking
« Reply #77 on: September 18, 2012, 03:53:33 PM »
I love this as I love horror films and this would be right there with some of my favorites.  Might even do alien arms instead. :)

But would the conservative moms in my area be offended?

Valentines Mommy

« Reply #78 on: September 18, 2012, 03:59:38 PM »
Read what's in dog paint and told my DH no go! Hogan got a security guard/bouncer muscle shirt. The girls have yet to be decided.

Van down by the river

• This must be what going mad feels like.
« Reply #79 on: September 18, 2012, 04:08:48 PM »
I love this as I love horror films and this would be right there with some of my favorites.  Might even do alien arms instead. :)

But would the conservative moms in my area be offended?

I love this idea! I'm not pregnant but I bet I could fake it. :-D

Zilla

• Super Hero!
    • Cooking
« Reply #80 on: September 18, 2012, 04:10:10 PM »
I am not pregnant either and will fake it.   :P

RebeccainGA

• formerly RebeccainAR
« Reply #81 on: September 18, 2012, 04:11:43 PM »
Debating for us this year - first year we've been able to have trick-or-treat in a LONG time and I'm super excited! (old neighborhood, we literally had ONE trick or treater the whole eight years - bad neighborhood, few kids, everyone went elsewhere).

If DP is feeling up to it, we're going to dress the dog up as Dr. Honeydew (small white coat, glasses, fake tie - easy peasy), and DP as beaker (she's got red hair the right length, and makes a face naturally that looks JUST LIKE Beaker, so it'll be easy). I'll be Ms. Piggy - or maybe someone's lovely assistant.

If DP isn't feeling up to it, I'll dress up in my pink poodle skirt, and put a little leather jacket on the dog (who IS a poodle).

Now to decide if doing the 'glowsticks made to look like spooky eyes' thing is too scary for my house.... and how to get pumpkins to not roll down the ramp....

Cat-Fu

• My cat is a ninja
« Reply #82 on: September 18, 2012, 05:13:09 PM »
lol, Zilla, I love the idea!!

I still have no idea what I'm going to do for a costume... I have really long hair so I try to do something that incorporates that: Lara Croft, the girl from the ring, Morticia, etc. My hair isn't quite long (or blonde!) enough for Lady Godiva, but I was thinking I might try out Princess Zelda in Twilight Princess. Her outfit is pretty intense, though!!
“Poetry is a sword of lightning, ever unsheathed, which consumes the scabbard that would contain it.” PBS

magicdomino

« Reply #83 on: September 18, 2012, 05:17:31 PM »
Now to decide if doing the 'glowsticks made to look like spooky eyes' thing is too scary for my house.... and how to get pumpkins to not roll down the ramp....

Is that the glowsticks in the toilet paper rolls?  I saw some photos on a Halloween forum.  They didn't look that scary, but then again, I just bought a giant inflatable cat that will be getting a bloody "toy" on Halloween night.   

RebeccainGA

• formerly RebeccainAR
« Reply #84 on: September 19, 2012, 08:19:11 AM »

Is that the glowsticks in the toilet paper rolls?  I saw some photos on a Halloween forum.  They didn't look that scary, but then again, I just bought a giant inflatable cat that will be getting a bloody "toy" on Halloween night.   

That's them - but since I have little bitty ones coming to the house (you should see the gaggle of K-2nd graders getting off the bus at 2pm) I didn't want to make it too scary. I think I'll end up doing them, though... they are awfully cool looking!

Black Delphinium

• The Black Flower
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #85 on: September 19, 2012, 09:32:02 AM »

For the pumpkins, make sure to get ones with thick bottoms, then flatten them out with a knife until they sit nicely.
That's them - but since I have little bitty ones coming to the house (you should see the gaggle of K-2nd graders getting off the bus at 2pm) I didn't want to make it too scary. I think I'll end up doing them, though... they are awfully cool looking!
When angels go bad, they go worse than anyone. Remember, Lucifer was an angel. ~The Marquis De Carabas

Noph

• I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert.
« Reply #86 on: September 20, 2012, 09:03:18 AM »
Oh my! so many great ideas here! I LOVE this thread!

this is what I'm starting on..
http://www.instructables.com/id/Creepy-Creature-quad-Stilt-what-nightmares-are-ma/

there are several hits from google when I search for 'stilt' type costumes.  I plan a different face/head covering for mine. I am still working out exactly where I'm going with this idea.  8)  I'm so happy to discover several others around the web that have made this sort of costume and am pleased all of them are very open source about the how-to.

The problem I expect with this costume is that I could hurt myself if I step wrong!  I'm going to have to have a "handler". I've done impressive costumes before and believe a "handler" is the only way to avoid some things, like unexpected stairs.

I know I always ask nicely before taking a picture of someone in a neat costume and I would never touch/grab another person, costume or not.   However, not everyone respects that there is still a live person in the costume. 

Any suggestions to help deal with over excited grown ups? I do not expect children to remember I'm a person inside the costume and have always been able to quickly and nicely detach a child that has a hold of my costume/me.  However, I'm at a loss to do with grown ups. I've literally had strangers POKE ME in the face or grab a hair piece as they didn't seem to grasp I was not an object.   Since this one will require a handler to keep me from stepping off a curb or something, I plan to discuss being a bit of a 'body guard' with my handler before we get in public. 

At first I'd considered making some sort of evil "great pumpkin" from the stilt creature idea and asked Mr. Noph to dress as Charlie Brown (this would not be too hard as he shaves his head anyway). A simple CB costume would also allow him to be my 'handler'.  He thought this idea was dumb all the way around "Noph, no one even knows what the great pumpkin looks like!"  As I wasn't attached to the idea I nixed it.  His costumes are usually elaborate, too.  He is considering building his own stilt walker costume, making two of us which I think sounds awesome.  We have a dear friend who will be happy to be our handler if both of us go all out.  We are still trying to think up ideas that would allow him a less fussy costume so he could 'handle' me, but we can't think of what would make a good "matching set".    I would truly be thankful for any suggestions/brain storms/ideas on where to go with this costume idea. 
Sorry about my spelling.

Black Delphinium

• The Black Flower
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #87 on: September 20, 2012, 10:08:49 AM »
Maybe your "handler" as a mage(long robe, cool facial hair if a guy/cool hair if a woman) with your stilt creature as a homunculus/demon familiar?
When angels go bad, they go worse than anyone. Remember, Lucifer was an angel. ~The Marquis De Carabas

magicdomino

« Reply #88 on: September 20, 2012, 10:29:24 AM »
I love the idea, and second Black Delphinium's idea of the handler dressing as a mage.  You do realize that photos of the finished product will be required.   :)

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #89 on: September 20, 2012, 03:02:07 PM »
Oh that is so cool!! I think you need to go with that! :):)

I always get the "But no one will get who you are!" from a friend when I've talked about being characters like Prof. Trelawney from Harry Potter. Heck, when I went as Prof. McGonagall, people thought I was Nanny McPhee.  Some kids around here shockingly didn't know Pirateboy2 was Harry Potter.  I know not everyone has read it but surely most have at least seen pictures? One woman did guess Prof. McGonagall and it made my night!

I went as Juno last year but no one seemed to get it but then I was sitting on the porch with the Sunny D next to me so maybe it wasn't too obvious even if it was my due date.

I thought of being Janice, the muppet from Dr. Teeth and Electronic Mayhem but said friend said "How about Miss Piggy? You'll be more recognizable." Which is true, but my oldest is going to be Kermit so maybe that's a bit too weird! LOL! On the other hand, Miss Piggy would make for an easy costume.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata