Author Topic: S'more Cookies  (Read 1883 times)

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
S'more Cookies
« on: July 25, 2012, 01:39:57 PM »
I just saw this recipe posted in the Globe and Mail today:

2 1/2 cups flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1 cup unsalted butter
1 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup white sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
100 g bar dark chocolate, chopped
100 g bar milk chocolate, chopped
13 graham crackers
400 g bag marshmallows - large or small (you won't need the whole bag)

Preheat oven to 375F.  Grease cookie sheets or line them with parchment.  Whisk together flour, baking soda and salt.  In the bowl of a mixer, cream together the butter and sugars until pail and fluffy.  Add the eggs one at a time and mix until combined.  Scrape down the bowl, add vanilla and beat until incorporated.  On low speed, stir in the flour mixture.  Fold in the chocolate chunks.  Place the graham crackers in a freezer bag and break them into pieces with your hands, no bigger than a quarter.  Fold them into the cookie dough.
Take heaping tablespoons of the dough and place on cookie sheets a few inches apart to allow for spreading.  Gently flatten the cookies with your fingers and then top with either half a large marshmallow or 2-4 mini marshmallows.  Bake the cookies for 8-10 minutes; they are done when the marshmallows are melted and golden brown and the bottoms of the cookies are slightly darker.  Transfer to a wire cooling rack.
Makes ~48 cookies - they keep for 1-2 weeks in an airtight container at room temperature and in the freezer for up to 2 months.

I think I'm going to give this a try!  I may substitute semi-sweet chocolate chips for the chocolate bars, though, just to make it easier.

I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Shabooty

Re: S'more Cookies
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2012, 12:12:55 PM »
Outdoor Girl, Did you ever make these?  The recipe looks great!

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2012, 01:01:17 PM »
I did!  I made them for camping this past weekend.  I did use chocolate chips instead of the chocolate.  I was confused by the number of graham crackers, though.  I bought no name brand and they were in these long wafers that broke up into 4 separate crackers.  But I went with each one being only two graham wafers, since I remember the name brand ones being square.  I put 3 mini marshmallows on each one - I liked the look and symmetry of three best.

They were a hit - there were a few left over from camping and I split them into two piles - one to take to softball and one to take to work.  I didn't bring any back home.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Shabooty

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2012, 01:27:55 PM »
Glad to hear it!  I'll plan on whipping up a batch in the near future.  It's nice that they have a relatively long shelf-life, although it doesn't sound like yours lasted long.  :)

GinaH

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2012, 06:53:50 AM »
Oooo! These sound delicious! Wow!
I'm thinking that maybe using Golden Grahams cereal might be nice in there, instead of the graham crackers...Just add enough to where they show up really well in the batter. A couple of cups, maybe?

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2012, 09:30:15 AM »
^ That sounds like a great idea!  I'd reduce the sugar slightly, though, because I think the cereal would be a lot higher in sugar than the wafers.  Maybe 3/4 cup brown sugar and 1/3 cup white sugar?
Ontario

SportsFan88

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2012, 12:26:29 PM »
I have a different recipe, where the cookie is basically baked on top of a graham cracker:

http://www.the-girl-who-ate-everything.com/2011/06/smores-cookies.html

These didn't last long when I made them either - they were pretty awesome.

Well behaved women rarely make history ~ Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
America is the land of opportunity, not entitlement.