Author Topic: Dropping an editor  (Read 1632 times)

SPuck

Dropping an editor
« on: September 03, 2012, 04:45:04 PM »
So I'm involved in writing fanfiction in an Online Community. I'm doing it in an attempt to get something actually finished and work on the project as often as possible. I have two volunteer editors helping me. As I have progressed with my story, both editors helped me improve my writing. I've already caught up with one of the editors writing level so I don't need him any longer. That and he also takes much longer than my other editor in getting back to me and at this point is slowing me down. So what is the best way of telling him I want to drop him. I have two good excused, two editors is taking the to long for the work to get produced and the other guy also wins because he is in the same timezone and it is easier to coordinate with him.

Any suggestions?

jmarvellous

Re: Dropping an editor
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2012, 05:08:49 PM »
I'm assuming you are communicating online only, and that you're not paying him. Is this right?

I would just send him an email and let him know you've decided to go in a different editorial direction. You don't have to make excuses or anything of the sort. Just thank him for his time so far.

I am an editor, and I know well that sometimes personalities, styles or skill levels don't mesh. He'll have to learn this at some point, and it's OK to be the one to teach him.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2012, 05:11:50 PM »
I would include a thank you for all his previous work in whatever letter you send to let him know that you no longer need his help.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

SPuck

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2012, 07:49:35 PM »
Okay, I want to put just a little extra information in because he's been good to mere.

Dear X,

I wanted to thank you for all the help you have given me in writing X. I feel that I have evolved as a better writer because of it. At this time I have decided to follow a different editorial direction. I have decided to keep my other pre-reader as my sole editor to better my craft, and it is easier to coordinate with him because he is located in the same timezone. Thank you for all the help you have given me.

Sincerely,
X

Is that good?

jmarvellous

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2012, 09:44:04 PM »
Yep! Hope he takes it well.

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2012, 09:57:54 PM »
I'm a bit confused by "caught up to his writing level" - a good critique partner (which is what it sounds like you have here) shouldn't be about "level" as much as content and style.  It doesn't really matter what their own writing is like, as long as their suggestions make your writing better.  Is the issue more that he's not helping you, or that you don't want to read his work anymore?

It's totally valid to say "Thanks for your help but I have promised someone else I'd be critique partners and I don't have the time to read drafts from both of you."  However, I really don't think there's a polite way to say "I got better so I don't need you anymore"  :-\

SPuck

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2012, 10:03:39 PM »
Slartibartfast, the person who I am writing to is one of my editors, critiquing my story. He already has people to do his own stories.

He's a good editor, but has been slow. My second editor is better, and gets back to me in two to three days versus the first editors four days to a week.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2012, 10:05:22 PM by SPuck »