Author Topic: Misused words in the office - propogating bad word use!  (Read 15549 times)

Eden

Re: Misused words in the office - propogating bad word use!
« Reply #75 on: September 20, 2012, 02:17:38 PM »
Just so I'm clear, the "oo"in room would be the same truncated short u sound like in woof, right?  Yeah, I've heard that a lot.

Sorry I'm just now seeing this. Yes, that's correct.

msulinski

« Reply #76 on: September 20, 2012, 04:17:31 PM »
One former boss used to say "flustrated" instead of "frustrated" and another repeatedly talked about handling touchy situations with "kit" gloves.

Flustered + Frustrated = Flustrated.    I like it.

I like it too. I wonder if the poster's former boss intended that, or if it was just a mistake.

This reminds me of a former boss of mine liked to say "automagically."

Redneck Gravy

« Reply #77 on: September 20, 2012, 05:09:05 PM »
I have a friend that constantly uses the wrong word, I love her and don't tell her.  One of our mutual friends asked me about it one time and we both agreed that somehow we know what she means...there's no way we are going to embarass her and correct her.

Pitcher for picture, temperatureometer for thermometer (which I actually like and think makes more sense) lethal & legal are interchangeable.

I have a friend that gets tee box and green mixed up on the golf course. 

I used to work with a lady that got similar names mixed up: Jack Nicklaus and Jack Nicholson, Jack Black and Jack Daniels  ;)  (no really Jack Daniels)

I have met people that get Davy Crockett and Daniel Boone mixed up, it doesn't do any good to try to figure that one out, just smile and get past it.   The Alamo and the Revolutionary War were so similar... 

hobish

• Super Hero!
  • Release the gelfling!
« Reply #78 on: September 20, 2012, 05:18:16 PM »
One former boss used to say "flustrated" instead of "frustrated" and another repeatedly talked about handling touchy situations with "kit" gloves.

I like it too. I wonder if the poster's former boss intended that, or if it was just a mistake.

Oh, oh, oh... i am so stealing that. Automagically. I can't wait to use it in a sentence.
It's alright, man. I'm only bleeding, man. Stay hungry, stay free, and do the best you can.
~Gaslight Anthem

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #79 on: September 20, 2012, 05:21:06 PM »

Oh, oh, oh... i am so stealing that. Automagically. I can't wait to use it in a sentence.
My car's headlights come on automagically when I start the engine.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

hobish

• Super Hero!
  • Release the gelfling!
« Reply #80 on: September 20, 2012, 05:26:46 PM »

I am thinking, "I cannot automagically approve this co-op for you." Maybe even, "I cannot automagically approve this co-op for you; i am fresh out of pixie dust and the elves are on strike." 

It's alright, man. I'm only bleeding, man. Stay hungry, stay free, and do the best you can.
~Gaslight Anthem

Redneck Gravy

« Reply #81 on: September 20, 2012, 05:28:21 PM »

I am thinking, "I cannot automagically approve this co-op for you." Maybe even, "I cannot automagically approve this co-op for you; i am fresh out of pixie dust and the elves are on strike." 

ha, ha that's funny right there

lilfox

« Reply #82 on: September 20, 2012, 05:51:24 PM »
This one is becoming a classic in my office.
One of my colleagues, who thinks a lot of herself, gave a presentation.  On one slide, she had a chart showing the percentage of responses given by a set of people on how they felt about a number of ideas.
Let's say it looked like this:
47% said they supported X
36% said they supported Y
24% said they supported Z

The presenter then said "the majority of respondents supported X" blah blah blah.  Er, no, the majority actually didn't support X, it just received the highest level of support.  That's probably an easy semantic mistake to make, but she went on to defend X on the basis that most people wanted it.

Incidentally, her approach to leading her team is very much "I, the people".

baglady

• A big lass and a bonny lass and she loves her beer
« Reply #83 on: September 20, 2012, 07:34:38 PM »
I have met people that get Davy Crockett and Daniel Boone mixed up, it doesn't do any good to try to figure that one out, just smile and get past it.   The Alamo and the Revolutionary War were so similar...

It's the coonskin caps. And the fact that both of them were played by Fess Parker on TV.

I've also heard newscasters say "jun-tah" instead of "hoon-tah." It's not really a mispronunciation; it's an Anglicization of a foreign word, like saying Mexico instead of "May-hee-co" or Paris instead of "Pah-rhee."
My photography is on Redbubble! Come see: http://www.redbubble.com/people/baglady

violinp

• cabbagegirl28's my sister :)
« Reply #84 on: September 20, 2012, 07:40:58 PM »

It's the coonskin caps. And the fact that both of them were played by Fess Parker on TV.

I've also heard newscasters say "jun-tah" instead of "hoon-tah." It's not really a mispronunciation; it's an Anglicization of a foreign word, like saying Mexico instead of "May-hee-co" or Paris instead of "Pah-rhee."

It's really said that way?  ??? Well, I learned something today!
"It takes a great deal of courage to stand up to your enemies, but even more to stand up to your friends" - Harry Potter

Amava

« Reply #85 on: September 20, 2012, 08:04:16 PM »

It's really said that way?  ??? Well, I learned something today!

Funny, isn't it, how things can be different in different languages!  :D
If you want to actually hear "Pah-rhee" pronounced in French, here is a song for you.
"Paris s'Úveille" (means: Paris awakens)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7whXkifG_ms
« Last Edit: September 20, 2012, 08:06:15 PM by Amava »

BeagleMommy

« Reply #86 on: September 25, 2012, 12:54:19 PM »
Love this thread!  I will usually only correct DH and DS. Others, I would love to correct, but I don't think much good would come of it.

Annoying Coworker thinks "criteriers" is a word.  Every fiber of my being wants to scream "Criteria is the plural; the singular is criterion!".  She also told a professor he would be in a promiscuous position if he wasn't careful.  She meant precarious.  She seems to think congruent and concurrent are interchangeable.

My father uses furnitures if we are going to buy more than one piece of furniture.

A local radio DJ pronounces Enrique Iglesias as Enricki Inglesias.

Coley

« Reply #87 on: September 25, 2012, 01:27:24 PM »
DH was grading students' papers (a college course) the other day and came upon a good one. A student used the word "gorillas" to describe the soldiers who were involved in a certain battle. DH wrote a comment stating that it seems she meant "guerrilla" rather than "gorilla." She responded and said that she indeed meant "gorilla." She wanted to emphasize the primitive nature of the attack.

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #88 on: September 25, 2012, 02:01:43 PM »
DH was grading students' papers (a college course) the other day and came upon a good one. A student used the word "gorillas" to describe the soldiers who were involved in a certain battle. DH wrote a comment stating that it seems she meant "guerrilla" rather than "gorilla." She responded and said that she indeed meant "gorilla." She wanted to emphasize the primitive nature of the attack.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QyG0G96UB6k

;D

Coley

« Reply #89 on: September 25, 2012, 02:11:52 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QyG0G96UB6k

;D

Ha! I'm sending that link to DH ...  ;D