Author Topic: When helping is not helping...  (Read 7436 times)

Amava

Re: When helping is not helping...
« Reply #45 on: September 20, 2012, 04:21:55 PM »
Is it just me, or is this whole saga beginning to read more and more like a publicity stunt to attract tourists?

wolfie

• I don't know what this is so I am putting random words here
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #46 on: September 20, 2012, 04:54:51 PM »
Is it just me, or is this whole saga beginning to read more and more like a publicity stunt to attract tourists?

At this point maybe, but the entire discovery of the painting was an accident. They only found out about it because a painting by that artist sold in the area and they realized that there was only one other painting of his in the area and decided to go take a look - which is when they found the update. If that painting hadn't been sold then I think noone in the church would have even given the "touch up" a second thought.

Pippen

« Reply #47 on: September 20, 2012, 05:52:23 PM »
I read that more people are going to see the "Potato jesus" version  of the painting more than ever saw the original.

I think the have renamed it to 'Behold the Monkey'

Moray

• My hovercraft is full of eels!
« Reply #48 on: September 20, 2012, 06:37:25 PM »
I read that more people are going to see the "Potato jesus" version  of the painting more than ever saw the original.

Well, to be fair, it's hardly "old" by European standards, and although it was pretty well done, the original is far from the only "ecce homo" style fresco and wasn't exactly considered a priceless work of art.

The Potato Jesus is "internet-famous" for the next 15 minutes or so.
Utah