Author Topic: Service with a Sneer (from the Main Blog) Question  (Read 23155 times)

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
Re: Service with a Sneer (from the Main Blog) Question
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2012, 10:34:40 AM »
A Volvo salesman once told my brother that he'd do better at the Subaru dealership down the road.

Why?? How did he even work that one out in his brain? He sells Volvos! Why would he send  a potential customer to the competition?
I wonder how long that one lasted as a salesman.

I presume the brother was asking too many questions rather than just going "Great! I'll take whatever you think I should have! Just show me where to sign!"
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

AmysAuntie

• Cat woman extraordinaire
« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2012, 10:39:20 PM »
If any of you have read the "Service with a Sneer" entry on the main blog, I'd be interested in knowing what response, if any, is polite.  This type of thing seems to happen alarmingly around here and I actually had a very similar experience with my rings.

My Mom gave me her engagement ring and my Grandmother's engagement ring a couple of years ago.  We needed to add them to our insurance policy, which meant getting them appraised.  Since I knew I was getting both rings, I never saw the need for my husband to buy another diamond.  I'm quite happy with my wedding band and gemstone engagement ring.  We took them to the recommended shop, but the saleslady was SO RUDE.  She made all kinds of condescending remarks about both rings and indicated that I obviously knew nothing about the "good stuff" based on my own wedding set.  My Mom was nearly in tears!

We ended up leaving, but later I called the manager.  However, I really wanted to say something right then and there.

Is walking out always the best response?  Is there something else you can say?  I've had this same sort of thing happen in restaurants, clothing stores, etc.  It'd be nice to have a polite, but pointed, response to give.

I'm the OP on the Service with a Sneer on the main site.  As fortune would have it, at one time I was part owner in a jewelry store.  I cannot tell you how much jewelry we saw come in for repairs or whatever that wasn't Toffany quality.  But would I say that to ANYONE about a piece of jewelry that they loved or that held sentimental value to them?  Not on your fuzzy little life.

I recall one piece in particular, about a three carat rouind solitaire that had belonged to this one customer's grandmother.  The only thing this stone had going for it was, well, it's size.  The color was way off, and there were huge inclusions visible to the naked eye without so much as a loop.  "How much do you think it is worth?"was the question.  My answer:  "It's priceless because it belonged to someone you love."  Saying anything that would denigrate the ring (and by extension Grandma) would have been pointless.

We just walked out when we weere treated that way.  I suppose we could have contacted the store manager or corporate, but frankly, I felt whipped after that.  Easier just to turn tail and leave.

Edited to fix a quote-Ticia
« Last Edit: September 08, 2012, 01:35:45 PM by Ticia »

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2012, 11:04:09 PM »
Not in a sales situation, but I have been told by some that I got "cheated" by DH cause he didn't give me a big honkin' diamond for my engagement ring, nor are there any in my wedding ring. I think I hurt their brain when I tell them I got exactly what I told him I wanted and was just fine with it!    My ring is a lovely gold claddagh (the design with the crown, heart and hands) that was made in Ireland.  I didn't request that it be made in Ireland, that was DH's own choice that made it all the more special, since the design was created by an Irishman. :)

A friend shared a theory with me recently though, as to why some businesses might engage in doing stuff like this, in a poor economy.  They may have decided they don't really want to be in that business after all, but rather than call it quits and feel like a failure, they choose to shoot themselves in the foot by alienating customers.  That way they can tell themselves it's the poor economy rather than hurt their pride by quitting.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

AmysAuntie

« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2012, 11:49:33 PM »
Piratelvr, if you brought your claddagh ring into my store, the LAST thing you would have heard would be anyone denigrating it.  The claddagh is a lovely symbol and one to be proud of.  Don't let anybody tell ya otherwise.  ;)

Iris

« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2012, 12:15:41 AM »
Not in a sales situation, but I have been told by some that I got "cheated" by DH cause he didn't give me a big honkin' diamond for my engagement ring, nor are there any in my wedding ring. I think I hurt their brain when I tell them I got exactly what I told him I wanted and was just fine with it!    My ring is a lovely gold claddagh (the design with the crown, heart and hands) that was made in Ireland.  I didn't request that it be made in Ireland, that was DH's own choice that made it all the more special, since the design was created by an Irishman. :)

A friend shared a theory with me recently though, as to why some businesses might engage in doing stuff like this, in a poor economy.  They may have decided they don't really want to be in that business after all, but rather than call it quits and feel like a failure, they choose to shoot themselves in the foot by alienating customers.  That way they can tell themselves it's the poor economy rather than hurt their pride by quitting.

Me too. I do have a diamond but it's not large and I have had some people say things like "What? He hasn't given you an eternity ring yet? You need more diamonds."

No. No I don't.

On the original question I agree to vote with your feet. If they don't want your business then fine.
"Can't do anything with children, can you?" the woman said.

Poirot thought you could, but forebore to say so.

Bijou

• Super Hero!
« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2012, 12:26:59 PM »
Kind of different, but....
My two sisters and I took my mother's three strand pearl necklace in to be separated and restrung so each of us would have a necklace.  This had been given to my mom sometime in the 1930's and was a lovely piece in a beautiful pink satin box.  Were they real pearls?  We had no idea and really didn't care.  It was a gift from our father to our mother and were priceless as far as we were concerned.  The jeweler told us they were not worth the expense of restringing.  He must have felt the ice hitting his head and traveling down his body freezing everything in and out of sight. 
We didn't ask him to appraise them, we didn't ask him anything other than to restring our mother's necklace so we would each have one, so he wasn't giving us helpful advise and saving us money.  Clearly when three sisters walk into the shop with such an old piece of jewelry wanting to have it split between them something special is going on.  What a horse's patoot! 
I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2012, 08:48:33 PM »
Piratelvr, if you brought your claddagh ring into my store, the LAST thing you would have heard would be anyone denigrating it.  The claddagh is a lovely symbol and one to be proud of.  Don't let anybody tell ya otherwise.  ;)

It is absolutely one of my favorite jewelry designs, ever.  Actually I wear two everyday.  This is my wedding ring: http://www.claddaghringking.com/images/RZ105.gif
And this is one I got from QVC, designed by Stephen Walsh's company, with a piece of Connemara marble in the center. :) http://www.kaboodle.com/hi/img/b/0/0/b9/f/AAAAC6pSKyQAAAAAALn_Ng.jpg?v=1268885209000

I first learned of what the ring stands for when one of my aunts got married, and even if I was 16, I knew that was the design I wanted when I got married. :)  And being 1/2 Irish myself, I'd much rather have that than a huge honkin' diamond ring.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #22 on: September 08, 2012, 09:05:00 PM »
A Volvo salesman once told my brother that he'd do better at the Subaru dealership down the road. My brother was speechless and just left the lot.

The salesperson was intending to put down your brother.  In most cases a Volvo costs more than a comparably sized and equipped Subaru, so the implication was that your brother probably couldn't AFFORD a Volvo and that was supposed to make him really, really want one so he could impress people!  Don't you know how important it is to impress people with your super expensive car?   :-\

ettiquit

« Reply #23 on: September 08, 2012, 09:11:40 PM »

It is absolutely one of my favorite jewelry designs, ever.  Actually I wear two everyday.  This is my wedding ring: http://www.claddaghringking.com/images/RZ105.gif
And this is one I got from QVC, designed by Stephen Walsh's company, with a piece of Connemara marble in the center. :) http://www.kaboodle.com/hi/img/b/0/0/b9/f/AAAAC6pSKyQAAAAAALn_Ng.jpg?v=1268885209000

I first learned of what the ring stands for when one of my aunts got married, and even if I was 16, I knew that was the design I wanted when I got married. :)  And being 1/2 Irish myself, I'd much rather have that than a huge honkin' diamond ring.

Both of those rings are lovely!  My DH went the Irish route too and chose something similar to this for his wedding band: http://ak.buy.com/PI/0/500/232925185.jpg

violinp

• cabbagegirl28's my sister :)
« Reply #24 on: September 08, 2012, 09:20:28 PM »
A Volvo salesman once told my brother that he'd do better at the Subaru dealership down the road. My brother was speechless and just left the lot.

The salesperson was intending to put down your brother.  In most cases a Volvo costs more than a comparably sized and equipped Subaru, so the implication was that your brother probably couldn't AFFORD a Volvo and that was supposed to make him really, really want one so he could impress people!  Don't you know how important it is to impress people with your super expensive car?   :-\

Oh, yeah, that'd really make me want to get a car from that brand.  ::)  :o
"It takes a great deal of courage to stand up to your enemies, but even more to stand up to your friends" - Harry Potter

Iris

« Reply #25 on: September 08, 2012, 10:25:57 PM »

*puts on innocent face* No, how important is it? *runs away and hides*
"Can't do anything with children, can you?" the woman said.

Poirot thought you could, but forebore to say so.

jillybean

• Rise and whine
« Reply #26 on: September 08, 2012, 10:57:33 PM »
My husband and I didn't have much money in the early years of our marriage.  I never had an engagement ring, just a gold band.  On our fifth wedding anniverary he surprised me with a half-carat diamond solitaire.  It had tremendous sentimental value because his father, who died when he was three, had given it to his mother as an engagement ring.  It was really a beautiful quality diamond, which the *nice* salesman had told us that when we dropped it off to have it appraised for insurance purposes.  When I went to pick it up, the old bitty who waited on me screeched acroos the store, "Sue, get me that ring with the little diamond."  I was much more shy then and just slinked out of the store.  That would not be my reaction today!
« Last Edit: September 08, 2012, 10:59:09 PM by jillybean »
Texas

AmysAuntie

« Reply #27 on: September 09, 2012, 01:00:58 AM »

Beautiful, the both of them.  My only claddagh is a silver one on an anklet, but one of these days...

AmysAuntie

« Reply #28 on: September 09, 2012, 01:03:27 AM »

Both of those rings are lovely!  My DH went the Irish route too and chose something similar to this for his wedding band: http://ak.buy.com/PI/0/500/232925185.jpg

Your husband has great taste!

AmysAuntie

« Reply #29 on: September 09, 2012, 01:05:36 AM »
My husband and I didn't have much money in the early years of our marriage.  I never had an engagement ring, just a gold band.  On our fifth wedding anniverary he surprised me with a half-carat diamond solitaire.  It had tremendous sentimental value because his father, who died when he was three, had given it to his mother as an engagement ring.  It was really a beautiful quality diamond, which the *nice* salesman had told us that when we dropped it off to have it appraised for insurance purposes.  When I went to pick it up, the old bitty who waited on me screeched acroos the store, "Sue, get me that ring with the little diamond."  I was much more shy then and just slinked out of the store.  That would not be my reaction today!

Did you and I run into the same old biddy?