Author Topic: Service with a Sneer (from the Main Blog) Question  (Read 22253 times)

VltGrantham

Re: Service with a Sneer (from the Main Blog) Question
« Reply #75 on: September 12, 2012, 11:40:03 AM »
But having debt doesn't necessarily mean you are living outside your means as long as you've budgeted for the debt.

Agreed.  I know of very few people that don't have some kind of debt.  Personally I think debt for anything other than education, home, or automobile is unnecessary and a good way to get into trouble.  I know of many people who could afford the monthly payment for a TV, but then had to take a pay cut or lost a job, and suddenly paying for a TV wasn't nearly as important as keeping a roof over their heads.  It's just our practice that if it's something that isn't absolutely necessary, we don't get into a monthly payment plan situation.  We either pay for the item outright or save up until we can.

Most high pressure sales involve items that aren't absolute necessary. 

CakeBeret

« Reply #76 on: September 12, 2012, 12:13:09 PM »
But having debt doesn't necessarily mean you are living outside your means as long as you've budgeted for the debt.

Agreed.  I know of very few people that don't have some kind of debt.  Personally I think debt for anything other than education, home, or automobile is unnecessary and a good way to get into trouble.  I know of many people who could afford the monthly payment for a TV, but then had to take a pay cut or lost a job, and suddenly paying for a TV wasn't nearly as important as keeping a roof over their heads.  It's just our practice that if it's something that isn't absolutely necessary, we don't get into a monthly payment plan situation.  We either pay for the item outright or save up until we can.

Most high pressure sales involve items that aren't absolute necessary. 

There's a furniture store in my area that routinely offers 0% financing same-as-cash as long as the payments are made on time and it's paid off within the promotional period. DH and I used it to help furnish our first home. It wasn't strictly necessary but I am an excellent budgeter and we live well within our means. Even if one of us had had a pay cut or lost a job, we would have been okay. I think it's all a matter of perspective, and also financial acumen in general.
"From a procrastination standpoint, today has been wildly successful."

Virg

• Super Hero!
« Reply #77 on: September 12, 2012, 02:38:43 PM »
Sootikin wrote:

"They lose their sparkle.  I've tried on beautiful diamond rings and they look like dull pieces of glass on my fingers."

That just means that you're so lovely that the diamonds look dull in comparison.

Virg

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #78 on: September 13, 2012, 12:23:11 AM »
It just doesn't make sense to me.  Everyone knows, particularly in the jewelry industry, that a diamond's value is falsely inflated because of the control put on them by the privately held corporations that control most of them.  The mark-up is ridiculous and whoever started that whole "two months" rule should be flogged.

Actually that "rule" was started out of practicality in a time when processing paperwork was much slower.  The theory was it could take up to 2 months to process life insurance, pension or death benefit paperwork, so the Husband bought a ring worth 2 months of salary so his Wife would have money to live on while the paperwork processed should he meet an un-timely death

I also find this hard to believe. Your DH dies and you run right out and sell your diamond so you can have money to live on? I can't picture anyone doing that. Plus, they would be unlikely to get close to what the price was when it was bought (difference between retail and re-sale).

I vote for marketing ploy by DeBeers, they probably put a lot of research into just how high they could get that figure before men started rebelling.
Right.  After her divorce, Elfqueen tried to sell her engagement ring back to the jewelry store where her Ex bought it.  He paid over $2000 for it, IIRC, and they offered her $60.  No, that wasn't a mistype.  Sixty dollars.  Can't live on that for two months!
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Kiwichick

• Is anyone else hungry now?
« Reply #79 on: September 13, 2012, 04:21:53 AM »
Sootikin wrote:

"They lose their sparkle.  I've tried on beautiful diamond rings and they look like dull pieces of glass on my fingers."

That just means that you're so lovely that the diamonds look dull in comparison.

Virg

:) You charmer!

Queen of Clubs

« Reply #80 on: September 13, 2012, 02:07:04 PM »
I also find this hard to believe. Your DH dies and you run right out and sell your diamond so you can have money to live on? I can't picture anyone doing that. Plus, they would be unlikely to get close to what the price was when it was bought (difference between retail and re-sale).

I vote for marketing ploy by DeBeers, they probably put a lot of research into just how high they could get that figure before men started rebelling.
Right.  After her divorce, Elfqueen tried to sell her engagement ring back to the jewelry store where her Ex bought it.  He paid over $2000 for it, IIRC, and they offered her $60.  No, that wasn't a mistype.  Sixty dollars.  Can't live on that for two months!

Wow!  $60...and if they sold that ring on, odds are it'd cost up over $1000 again. :(

On the subject of diamond prices, I saw a documentary a while back about it.  It was all about how *not* rare diamonds are, especially when you consider the huge prices charged for them. :(  They are pretty though.

If anyone's interested, the documentary can be seen online:
http://topdocumentaryfilms.com/frontline-the-diamond-empire/

As for the attitude of some jewellery people, I honestly think they believe that they can shame people into spending more on bigger, 'better' jewels.  It's all I can think of to explain how snobby some of them are.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #81 on: September 13, 2012, 02:47:11 PM »
I don't like diamonds.  They're boring to me.   :)

My favourite stone is amethyst because I love purple.  I'd be perfectly happy with an amethyst engagement ring, should that ever happen.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Julian

• I lost it between Thriller and Gangnam Style...
« Reply #82 on: September 13, 2012, 05:10:41 PM »

My favourite stone is amethyst because I love purple.  I'd be perfectly happy with an amethyst engagement ring, should that ever happen.

Totally agree!  My only diamonds I actually wear are my birthmother's eternity ring, and set in with other stones.  All the rest of my (oops, too many) rings are coloured stones - ruby, amethyst, citrine, tourmaline etc.  The bigger and more colourful the better.

Back onto the topic (sort of).  When I was in Vegas I trooped into a Chanel shop.  Souvenir t-shirt, scruffy jeans and joggers.  I was treated like I was wearing the crown jewels and Vivian Westwood.  Nothing was too much trouble, the assistant was incredibly polite and friendly.  And yeah, I spent money.  If anyone is interested, Coromandel is a glorious perfume!

I've had snooty salespeople before - I was too young, too old, too fat, too female, or whatever, to the shop's target demographic.  In all cases I've left and gone somewhere my money has been welcomed.  Their loss, I figure.  If I'm shopping for a want, they're in business for a need.  I can fulfill my wants elsewhere.

camlan

• Super Hero!
« Reply #83 on: September 14, 2012, 07:29:32 AM »

My senior year in college, one of my good friends got engaged. Her engagement ring was a sapphire, with two small diamonds on the sides, set in platinum. It was one of the prettiest rings I've ever seen. Her boyfriend deliberately picked a sapphire, because he knew that it was her favorite gemstone.

The morning after she got engaged, she was showing the ring to us all at breakfast in the dining hall. And we were all congratulating her and ooohing and aaaaahing over the ring.

Until one woman spoke up. "That's all he could afford? He couldn't even get you a diamond?" I still remember the incredible sneer that she managed to put into her voice. And the way my friend's face crumpled, going from joy to hurt sadness in a second.

One of the rudest things I've ever witnessed.

Clearly, Sneery Girl has gone on to be employed at some of the stores mentioned here.
Nothing is impossible, the word itself says, “I’m possible!” –Audrey Hepburn

VltGrantham

« Reply #84 on: September 14, 2012, 01:52:28 PM »
Until one woman spoke up. "That's all he could afford? He couldn't even get you a diamond?" I still remember the incredible sneer that she managed to put into her voice. And the way my friend's face crumpled, going from joy to hurt sadness in a second.

It's too bad that no one could have thought to tell Ms. Snooty that Princess Di's engagement ring was a sapphire.  And that it's currently being worn by Her Royal Highness Princess William, Duchess of Cambridge, Countess of Strathearn, Baroness Carrickfergus--thought to be one of the most fashion forward and trend-setting women in the world!

Ms_Cellany

• The Queen of Squee
  • Super Hero!
  • Big white goggie? No. Hasn't seen him.
« Reply #85 on: September 14, 2012, 01:58:33 PM »

Have one! It doubles as the wedding band.

Someone asked me what it symbolized. I said "It symbolizes that I like purple."
Current fosters: Boojum (F, adult); Zuul (F); Magpie (M); Balrog (M); Nazgul (F)

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #86 on: September 14, 2012, 01:59:28 PM »
LOL.  I can see that being my response, too.  Love your ring.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

violinp

• cabbagegirl28's my sister :)
« Reply #87 on: September 14, 2012, 02:04:15 PM »

It's too bad that no one could have thought to tell Ms. Snooty that Princess Di's engagement ring was a sapphire.  And that it's currently being worn by Her Royal Highness Princess William, Duchess of Cambridge, Countess of Strathearn, Baroness Carrickfergus--thought to be one of the most fashion forward and trend-setting women in the world!

This was my thought! It doesn't need to be a diamond to be a beautiful ring.
"It takes a great deal of courage to stand up to your enemies, but even more to stand up to your friends" - Harry Potter

Kiwichick

• Is anyone else hungry now?
« Reply #88 on: September 14, 2012, 02:25:29 PM »

She should have said 'he bought me the ring he knew I'd love not the one society expected him to buy' or something.

violinp

• cabbagegirl28's my sister :)
« Reply #89 on: September 14, 2012, 02:39:06 PM »

Have one! It doubles as the wedding band.

Someone asked me what it symbolized. I said "It symbolizes that I like purple."

Heeee.
"It takes a great deal of courage to stand up to your enemies, but even more to stand up to your friends" - Harry Potter