Author Topic: We Don't Want a Pet  (Read 10165 times)

Spring Water on Sundays

• We will never rest, fighting the battle of who could care less.
Re: We Don't Want a Pet
« Reply #45 on: October 04, 2012, 04:12:26 PM »
I am very loosely affiliated with a small no-kill shelter, and there is one volunteer there who, when the shelter gets too full, will adopt those animals out to just about anyone who can pay the adoption fee, with no regard for the suitability of the placement, and then pat herself on the back for facilitating a high number of placements. They had a really great mutt there not too long ago, and a friend of mine (who has a cat) was interested in it. I asked about the dog's temperment with cats and was told by this volunteer that Mutt REALLY likes cats. Great, so friend packs entire family into the car and drives an hour to the adoption event. Before filling out the adoption paperwork, my friend double-checked about the cat-friendliness of Mutt. Apparently Volunteer wasn't lying when she said Mutt likes cats - she likes to kill and eat them. So this family went home empty-handed and vowing to get a dog from any other shelter but this one.

OP - your friend is short-sighted in regards to the welfare of her animals. Placing a pet into a home isn't a success unless the placement is a happy one for all involved. These creatures are intuitive. They know when they are unloved and it hurts them. She seems awfully insistent on putting an animal into a situation where it is unwanted. Terrible.

lisastitch

« Reply #46 on: October 04, 2012, 07:25:08 PM »
"No" is a complete sentence.  You can tell her that you don't want a pet, end of subject. 

However, you may want to tell her why you do not want pets.   1) you're allergic  2) DH travels so the burden falls on you 3) you and DH travel so the pet needs other arrangements.  It's not justification; it conveys "we have thought about this question and this is our decision". 

PastryGoddess

• Super Hero!
    • My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #47 on: October 04, 2012, 08:31:34 PM »
"No" is a complete sentence.  You can tell her that you don't want a pet, end of subject. 

However, you may want to tell her why you do not want pets.   1) you're allergic  2) DH travels so the burden falls on you 3) you and DH travel so the pet needs other arrangements.  It's not justification; it conveys "we have thought about this question and this is our decision"

Or you could just say "No, we have thought about this question and this is our decision"  :)  This way there is no leg, table, paddle for her to use to get her way.