Author Topic: Changing something for guests  (Read 16473 times)

RooRoo

• Iím out of my mind. Please leave a message.
Re: Changing something for guests
« Reply #105 on: October 18, 2012, 07:21:26 PM »
White Lotus wrote:
And, yes, quite often I find my hands being grabbed.
  A few churches in my denomination do this. Urk. I have taken to "folding" my hands in the classic prayer position, as soon as that part approaches. Then, if they grab my hand, they are rude. Do you have a similar gesture you could use?

As far as the art thing goes, I stick to my guns.  Display what you like, and so will we.  Even if it IS that ... Buddhist version of the Mapplethorpe print of Jesus which offends so many people.  Don't like it, don't look.

I'm confused. I don't know the Mapplethorpe print - and I don't want to know, having seen enough of his other work. But if it is offensive to Christians, wouldn't your version be offensive to Buddists?

And, "Don't like it, don't look" doesn't work if something is large and prominently displayed.

See my PP if you think I sided with Hubby...  ;D
"Someday we must write a book of Etiquette for sensible people," said Mrs. Morland, "though apart from a few rules it really boils down to an educated mind and a kind heart." ~ Angela Thirkell, Never Too Late

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #106 on: October 18, 2012, 07:43:30 PM »
White Lotus wrote:
And, yes, quite often I find my hands being grabbed.
  A few churches in my denomination do this. Urk. I have taken to "folding" my hands in the classic prayer position, as soon as that part approaches. Then, if they grab my hand, they are rude. Do you have a similar gesture you could use?

As far as the art thing goes, I stick to my guns.  Display what you like, and so will we.  Even if it IS that ... Buddhist version of the Mapplethorpe print of Jesus which offends so many people.  Don't like it, don't look.

I'm confused. I don't know the Mapplethorpe print - and I don't want to know, having seen enough of his other work. But if it is offensive to Christians, wouldn't your version be offensive to Buddists?

And, "Don't like it, don't look" doesn't work if something is large and prominently displayed.

See my PP if you think I sided with Hubby...  ;D

It's not impossible to not look at it, it's just harder to not look at; and I would think if you didn't like something, you wouldn't want to look at it anyway, and thus would try harder to avoid it.
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

Flora Louise

• Nothing like champagne for a champagne occasion.
« Reply #107 on: October 19, 2012, 11:02:26 AM »
I wonder what happens when one's guests are the President of the United States and Ms. Anna Wintour?  >:D
Just because you're disappointed in me doesn't mean I did anything wrong.