Author Topic: It may not be your job choice...  (Read 12397 times)

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
It may not be your job choice...
« on: September 06, 2012, 12:27:07 PM »
Tomorrow I have an oral assessment (read: interview) at the Department of Corrections for the position of corrections officer.  That's right, a prison guard.  I realize it isn't everyone's ideal job and I know the inherent dangers.  What do I say to people who make the most disgusted faces once I tell them?

One woman asked what else I did other than bartend since I only bartend on the weekends, so I told her that I am interviewing for a job as a corrections officer.  The face she made all but screamed, "WHY ON EARTH WOULD YOU WANT TO DO THAT?!".  Her husband, who I spoke to later, made a face as if I had offered him his most hated food.

What can I say to these people?
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

TheVapors

• Oh my! I should lay down...
Re: It may not be your job choice...
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2012, 12:31:43 PM »
Wait. People are disgusted about the job of a corrections officer?! That's a thing? I didn't know that was a thing.

If people are making a face at you (and they haven't said anything), you may just be able to get away with a genuine smile and, "I'm pretty excited about it. Bean dip?"

If they do say something, then I'd suggest the same smile plus saying with pride, "It's not a job for everyone, but it is a job for me. Bean dip?"

violinp

• cabbagegirl28's my sister :)
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2012, 12:35:04 PM »
Wait. People are disgusted about the job of a corrections officer?! That's a thing? I didn't know that was a thing.

If people are making a face at you (and they haven't said anything), you may just be able to get away with a genuine smile and, "I'm pretty excited about it. Bean dip?"

If they do say something, then I'd suggest the same smile plus saying with pride, "It's not a job for everyone, but it is a job for me. Bean dip?"

POD. And good luck on your interview!
"It takes a great deal of courage to stand up to your enemies, but even more to stand up to your friends" - Harry Potter

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2012, 12:37:08 PM »
Please help me cage EvilTraska.  She suggests telling them "The pay isn't great, but when I'm put on cavity searches I get to keep whatever I find!"

Wulfie

• I'm so pretty! Oh so pretty! - Morgan the Cat
    • Unique Weddings for Unique Couples
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2012, 12:39:34 PM »
POD. Good luck on your interview! A friend of mine when I lived in Hawaii worked for the prison there. He loved it. He was suprised at how much he enjoyed working with the prisoners. He said that you knew where you stood with them and for the most part, as long as you treated them with respect, they treated you with it.  Respect is a HUGE thing in prison.

rashea

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2012, 12:53:12 PM »
"Somebody has to do it. And at least this way it's a person dedicated to respecting the prisoners and helping them to turn their lives around."

Second sentence optional.
"Manners change, principles don't. It's about treating people with consideration, respect and honesty." Peter Post

Vermont

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2012, 01:08:32 PM »
Please help me cage EvilTraska.  She suggests telling them "The pay isn't great, but when I'm put on cavity searches I get to keep whatever I find!"

*snort*

Seriously, though, are there some positives like a good pension or medical plan?  'The benefits are good and I know I'll rarely be bored!'
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

otterwoman

« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2012, 01:11:53 PM »
Disgusted faces? :o Where I live CO is a coveted, sought after job. People are congratulated for getting it.

Best of luck on the interview!

O'Dell

« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2012, 01:42:46 PM »

I used to handle those looks like this. It is what I always considered good etiquette: the other person flubbed up and was a bit rude, I'll smooth it over so no one is uncomfortable.

I've learned not to be so quick to do that. If the person seems to catch themselves, maybe an oops look on their face or something, then I'll smooth it over. Otherwise, I cool off the interaction a bit and don't try to hide the fact that I'm offended. IME, the people that do things like this are repeat offenders.

I'm not rude or mean about it. I just pull back a notch: my smile and tone becomes just a bit cooler, I pause briefly before responding, etc. I'm still polite about it, but I no longer respond with "niceness" if that makes sense. I get far more respect.
Do I contradict myself? Very well, then I contradict myself, I am large, I contain multitudes.
Walt Whitman

artk2002

• Super Hero!
    • The Delian's Commonwealth
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2012, 01:58:27 PM »
Give them a cold look and walk away.

Remember this: No matter what job/hobby/interest you have, there's somebody out there who thinks it's the worst/most ridiculous/most disgusting thing in the world. Somebody who has no qualms about telling you so. Accept that this will happen. More importantly, understand that this is about them not about you. Don't defend yourself because there's no need to defend yourself. Let them have their negative opinion. In fact, letting them keep that opinion is doing them a favor. They have something that makes them feel superior but doesn't really affect you at all.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2012, 02:02:05 PM »
Give them a cold look and walk away.

Remember this: No matter what job/hobby/interest you have, there's somebody out there who thinks it's the worst/most ridiculous/most disgusting thing in the world. Somebody who has no qualms about telling you so. Accept that this will happen. More importantly, understand that this is about them not about you. Don't defend yourself because there's no need to defend yourself. Let them have their negative opinion. In fact, letting them keep that opinion is doing them a favor. They have something that makes them feel superior but doesn't really affect you at all.

Conversely, *every* job is someone's dream job.  Keep them in mind when dealing with boors.

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2012, 02:04:18 PM »
I can't always walk away, unfortunately, as I am supposed to be serving them drinks (and other times, when it is a social interaction, I'll most certainly employ the walk away).  I like O'Dell's solution; it is a subtle way to let them know I'm not amused.  I have thus far been employing the, "I'm excited about it!" response.

Thanks everyone!  I hope I don't flub it tomorrow by being too excited :D
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

TurtleDove

• Super Hero!
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2012, 02:47:09 PM »
I have thus far been employing the, "I'm excited about it!" response.

I like this - just be cheerful and stupid (meaning, don't let on that you grasp their disdain - act as though you fully believe they are supportive).  And good luck!

Tabby Uprising

« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2012, 02:57:07 PM »
Tomorrow I have an oral assessment (read: interview) at the Department of Corrections for the position of corrections officer.  That's right, a prison guard.  I realize it isn't everyone's ideal job and I know the inherent dangers.  What do I say to people who make the most disgusted faces once I tell them?

One woman asked what else I did other than bartend since I only bartend on the weekends, so I told her that I am interviewing for a job as a corrections officer.  The face she made all but screamed, "WHY ON EARTH WOULD YOU WANT TO DO THAT?!".  Her husband, who I spoke to later, made a face as if I had offered him his most hated food.

What can I say to these people?

I like how you are handling it already.  Since some of these nasty faces belong to customers (and tippers?) of yours, I think responding with deserved pride/enthusiasm makes your point without risking any income potential.  ;)   When they pull a face you can smile and say, "Oh yeah, I am that awesome! But you all knew that already."

Most importantly, good luck on your interview!

yokozbornak

« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2012, 04:27:14 PM »
When I worked in staffing/career counseling back in the day, we worked with recruiters from many different companies, but I always loved the recruiter from the Dept. of Corrections.  He used to attend job fairs and put in box out for people to sign-up to win a free weekend at any of the state facilities. :)  He said it was a great conversation starter! Maybe you can use his line:

"The perks are tremendous!  It will save me so much money on hotels because I can stay at any prison free of charge!"  You can laugh as they try to puzzle.