Author Topic: It may not be your job choice...  (Read 12444 times)

jmarvellous

Re: It may not be your job choice...
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2012, 06:28:14 PM »
When I was in school for journalism and working retail on the side, I quickly learned that telling people my real ambitions was a good way to start a nasty conversation I didn't want to be a part of -- think "all journalists are biased liars" or worse. I kept it to, "I'm working on my bachelor's degree" and gave only the vaguest details.

I think it's 100 percent OK to tell white lies in a customer service role, particularly when it comes to your personal life. If they ask for details of the alternate position you're interviewing for, "A role related to my criminal justice degree. I can't get into specifics" sounds mysterious and cool to me and won't get you the third degree because you already said you can't talk more about it. Something else may work better for you, but I think vaguer is better.

Kiwichick

• Is anyone else hungry now?
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2012, 07:01:30 PM »
I can't always walk away, unfortunately, as I am supposed to be serving them drinks (and other times, when it is a social interaction, I'll most certainly employ the walk away).  I like O'Dell's solution; it is a subtle way to let them know I'm not amused.  I have thus far been employing the, "I'm excited about it!" response.

Thanks everyone!  I hope I don't flub it tomorrow by being too excited :D

If you can't walk away don't discuss it at work.  These are random strangers, make something up or tell them about a hobby.

Cleargleam

« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2012, 07:43:05 PM »
The kindest thing might be to take the response in the bar as follows:

Crud Monkeys! I could never be strong enough to handle that job!

That's probably a close take on what they actually mean.  They can't actually say that of course, and because they feel ill-equipped to handle that type of job, they also suddenly feel ill-equipped to interact with you because you *can* handle that job.

magician5

« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2012, 08:46:38 PM »
What can I say to these people?

Nothing.

You have no need to "make it OK" with these people, and in the future I'd say even less to them about my personal choices.

BTW, good luck!
There is no 'way to peace.' Peace is the way.

RubyCat

« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2012, 09:38:54 PM »
Years ago, I worked as a receptionist in a medical office that was doing pre-exam physicals that had to be passed before the candidate could sit for the correction officers exam. It was a very tough physical exam, which included running on the treadmill & having to lift heavy weights.  I have never met a more impressive, professional group of people.  I can recall saying that it was a job I'd never want to do, but very grateful that these folks did. 

Considering the reaction you're getting, going forward, I would either steer the conversation so that you aren't asked the question or be vague in my answer. If pressed, I would answer in a tone that was positive & upbeat as this usually keeps the disparaging remarks at bay.  I guess disparaging remarks, I would try to shrug off & then bean dip. You don't want to get into debates with customers.

Good luck & I hope it all works out.

AuntieA

• Anything but your basic traditional auntie
« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2012, 12:49:24 AM »
BF worked that job for 29 years at the maximum security federal prison here. The pension & benefits are awesome.
I dream of a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned.

GSNW

« Reply #21 on: September 07, 2012, 02:50:39 AM »
I have had a similar response from people who say that middle school kids are "the worst" an ask how I cans age such a horrible, thankless job.  It is very rude but stupidly cheerful is my best response. 

"Oh gee, I feel so lucky to go to a job I love every day!  Some people hate their jobs - isn't that just SO depressing?".

All said with a huge grin.

katycoo

« Reply #22 on: September 07, 2012, 03:31:11 AM »
There is a difference between people not wanting to do that job, and people thinking the job shouldn't exist.

Some suggested responses:

"We all enjoy different things"
"I'm looking forward to the change"
"I think its an interesting profession"

Or, your "I'm excited about it" response is just fine too :)

Kitty Hawk

« Reply #23 on: September 07, 2012, 05:23:44 AM »
What can I say to these people?

Nothing.

You have no need to "make it OK" with these people, and in the future I'd say even less to them about my personal choices.

BTW, good luck!

Well, as a bartender, she does more or less have to say something to them.

I would go for something mildly flip, like, "as little as possible", "still looking for the perfect job" or something like that -- with a cheeky smile so they know you are joking.

And when they ask what the perfect job is, it is something like "oh, a really big salary, and very little work" or "doing dentistry on the bears in Yellowstone" or something silly like that.

figleaf

« Reply #24 on: September 07, 2012, 08:28:39 AM »
I've got one of these jobs. I am automatically one of the most hate people at my work site due to my job. Nothing like having a huge cafeteria fall silent when you walk in to make you self conscious.

Whenever I get the "why would you want to do THAT?!?!!" I sa something like,"I've found it to be really rewarding," or if the person was a bit more polite, "I felt like I could bring something good to the job, and it feels really good to help people."

In my case, because I usually get into these conversations at work, where I can't just ignore them, I've found that treating a person's scoffing attitude as though theyqcty were posing an interested, thoughtful query puts them in the position that they will show themselves to be a huge jerk if they keep up the rude questions. You look like the bigger person.

Good luck!

Missy2U

• Where are we going and why am I in this handbasket?
« Reply #25 on: September 07, 2012, 03:40:04 PM »
How'd the interview go???  I'm pulling for you!

Edited to add - I think it would be a COOL job!! :)

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #26 on: September 07, 2012, 04:05:00 PM »
How'd the interview go???  I'm pulling for you!

Edited to add - I think it would be a COOL job!! :)

I'm on my way there now. I'll update in a few hours when I'm done. The interview is only 20, I just live that far away from it.
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

furrcats

« Reply #27 on: September 07, 2012, 07:29:25 PM »
I think it's great what your doing

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #28 on: September 07, 2012, 07:35:53 PM »
I guess I thought my "I'm excited about" approach was a weak response. Thanks for the other suggestions. I won't go into detail next time, though I like Traska's suggestion  >:D.

It went really well! I'm confident with my responses, and I'll hear back in about 2 weeks whether I go onto the next phase. Here's to hoping! Thanks for all of the support.
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

AustenFan

« Reply #29 on: September 07, 2012, 08:11:46 PM »
Excellent!

I'll keep my fingers, toes and anything else you think necessary crossed!