Author Topic: "You just haven't met the right man"  (Read 13601 times)

MissRose

Re: "You just haven't met the right man"
« Reply #45 on: September 17, 2012, 04:25:48 PM »
Those questions are simply too personal.  Your reasons for things like: getting married, having kids, etc should not be asked in any setting.  Some people may not wish to do something due to financial things, others medical reasons, and others no reason they want to give.  The reasons need to be respected, plain and simple.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #46 on: September 20, 2012, 07:42:56 AM »
I've noticed a lot of the people who say "Oh, you haven't met the right man yet" are people who believe in the One True Love, the Soulmate, the Accident of Fate to Whom No One Else can Compare. I've wanted to ask those people "Oh, what happens if the right man died in infancy?" but I haven't yet.

This is, however, the first time I've heard of someone saying it to a person who is currently in a happy, committed relationship.

I know a guy like the bolded. Ironically his "soulmate" is divorcing him. If I were still speaking to him the temptation to say "So you still believe in soulmates?" would be too tempting. His definition of a soulmate is someone you loved at first sight. That was crucial. If there was no love at first sight, that person is not your soulmate, according to this guy.  And according to him your soulmate is the only person you could have true love with.  ::)

Well, by that definition, I had at least two soulmates just in high school.  :P

Heck, at that age I had a new one every week!

Ha! I know, me too!
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

BeagleMommy

« Reply #47 on: September 24, 2012, 03:53:22 PM »
I've noticed a lot of the people who say "Oh, you haven't met the right man yet" are people who believe in the One True Love, the Soulmate, the Accident of Fate to Whom No One Else can Compare. I've wanted to ask those people "Oh, what happens if the right man died in infancy?" but I haven't yet.

This is, however, the first time I've heard of someone saying it to a person who is currently in a happy, committed relationship.

I know a guy like the bolded. Ironically his "soulmate" is divorcing him. If I were still speaking to him the temptation to say "So you still believe in soulmates?" would be too tempting. His definition of a soulmate is someone you loved at first sight. That was crucial. If there was no love at first sight, that person is not your soulmate, according to this guy.  And according to him your soulmate is the only person you could have true love with.  ::)

Well, by that definition, I had at least two soulmates just in high school.  :P

Heck, at that age I had a new one every week!

Ha! I know, me too!

Jeez, if that were the case DH and I never would have met.  I was convinced that my soulmate was the blond, blue-eyed, stepped right out of a fashion magazine guy in my theater group.  I went out with DH because I didn't have anything to do one night.  The rest is history.

OP, the woman is nuts.  Maybe she's got a serious case of baby-brain going on, but I doubt it.  I think I would have responded with "Did you really say that out loud?".  In the future just do the coldly polite.  It's all she deserves.

Sterling

• Oh Stupid Me- Blogs about Things That Drive Me Crazy
« Reply #48 on: September 24, 2012, 04:52:49 PM »
Wow I should go tell my husband we need to split up.  When I first met my husband I thought he was a jerk :P

93 93/93

amandaelizabeth

• Amanda's home based ece
« Reply #49 on: September 24, 2012, 07:05:21 PM »
My Father died recently.  My mother has some health issues, and during the service was invited to say something about Dad.  She was a bit stuck for words (a recent stroke has affected her speech process) so the Vicar asked her what she thought of Dad when she first met him "A cocky wee sod" she replied.  62 years of marriage and 4 children followed that first thought.  Obviously not soul mates though

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #50 on: September 24, 2012, 07:28:08 PM »

Why do I hear Wesley wheezing "twu wuv" while Miracle Max pushes on his chest?

Because we saw the same movie and I was hearing it, too?
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

Iris

« Reply #51 on: September 24, 2012, 07:34:43 PM »

He clearly said "To blave"  :D
"Can't do anything with children, can you?" the woman said.

Poirot thought you could, but forebore to say so.

violinp

• cabbagegirl28's my sister :)
« Reply #52 on: September 24, 2012, 08:06:22 PM »

LIARRR! LIARRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!  ;D
"It takes a great deal of courage to stand up to your enemies, but even more to stand up to your friends" - Harry Potter

Ceallach

• This Is It
« Reply #53 on: September 24, 2012, 08:44:29 PM »
My Father died recently.  My mother has some health issues, and during the service was invited to say something about Dad.  She was a bit stuck for words (a recent stroke has affected her speech process) so the Vicar asked her what she thought of Dad when she first met him "A cocky wee sod" she replied.  62 years of marriage and 4 children followed that first thought.  Obviously not soul mates though

When I first met my DH, my first thought was "Oh that guy's short".    (Not in a mean way, but I was sitting on a bar stool at the time with a group of friends.  DH had just arrived and knew the guyfriend sitting next to me so walked up to say hello.  So I look to the side and his head is lower than mine and I just remember thinking he was really short, which he is rather for a guy....).    So not exactly a hollywood romance.   No drama, no passion.  That all came later!   :D

Anyway, I don't mind so much when people insult me, but insulting my marriage and my husband is a big no-no.   I would have not hesitated to react greatly offended to what the woman in the OP said.   I wouldn't hold a grudge for it and would accept her apologies, but at the time I would deliberately respond shocked and offended so that she would realise how utterly unacceptable her comments were.   
"Nobody can do everything, but everybody can do something"

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #54 on: September 24, 2012, 10:06:54 PM »

LIARRR! LIARRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!  ;D

Why am I now hungry for a nice mutton, lettuce, and tomato sandwhich - with the mutton sliced extra thin?
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?