Author Topic: Biscoff Spread  (Read 7981 times)

hobish

• Super Hero!
  • Release the gelfling!
Biscoff Spread
« on: September 06, 2012, 03:36:45 PM »
Is this stuff really a thing in Europe or is that something they put on the jar to entice people into buying it?
I have a jar of it and it says it is a delicious European alternative to peanut butter. Is Biscoff Spread the name of it or some kind of brand? I think the brand is Lotus on the one I have; but I don’t know if they are both brand labels. The stuff is tasty. It is a lighter brown than peanut butter, but about the same consistency, and it tastes like cookies. Surprisingly enough it has less calories (and fat) than peanut butter – not by much, but a little. I’ve been eating it on crackers when I want something sweet.

It's alright, man. I'm only bleeding, man. Stay hungry, stay free, and do the best you can.
~Gaslight Anthem

Nibsey

Re: Biscoff Spread
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2012, 06:57:50 PM »
I have never even heard of it. I had to look it up. Maybe on mainland Europe? We have nutella which is fairly popular but if I want peanut butter, I'd buy peanut butter. It's not as if it's unusual although we don't have the same variety that you'd have over the pond.
“I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.”- Douglas Adams
Éire (Ireland)

NyaChan

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2012, 11:21:05 PM »
That sounds so good - I LOVE the cookies!  Do they sell that in regular grocery stores?

Harriet Jones

• Super Hero!
  • Yes, we know who you are.
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2012, 11:22:29 PM »
That sounds so good - I LOVE the cookies!  Do they sell that in regular grocery stores?

I've seen Biscoff spread in Walmart.

NyaChan

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2012, 11:40:44 PM »
Must go shopping for a jar & a bigger pair of jeans  >:D

Nikko-chan

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2012, 12:10:34 AM »
Must go shopping for a jar & a bigger pair of jeans  >:D

Yes! I agree with this whole post... that might in fact be my dinner Saturday  >:D

hobish

• Super Hero!
  • Release the gelfling!
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2012, 02:21:26 AM »

I've seen Biscoff spread in Walmart.

I think that's where i found it.
It's alright, man. I'm only bleeding, man. Stay hungry, stay free, and do the best you can.
~Gaslight Anthem

Bethalize

• Toxic People Survival Checklist
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2012, 04:27:32 AM »
Is this stuff really a thing in Europe or is that something they put on the jar to entice people into buying it?

The spread that's like ground up ginger biscuits? Yes, it's a thing in some European countries. It's not on general sale in the UK and my friend begs for it every time someone goes to France or Belgium.

Horace

« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2012, 08:17:53 AM »
I'm also in the UK but I've never heard of it over here, the only times I've come across it are on US food blogs.

hobish

• Super Hero!
  • Release the gelfling!
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2012, 12:16:54 PM »

It is more like sugar cookies or shortbread cookies than ginger. I wish it was made from ginger cookies, that sounds delicious.

I am really starting to think they put it on the label just for advertising’s sake   :P
~Gaslight Anthem

Betelnut

« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2012, 01:18:16 PM »
That sounds good.  It is available from Amazon but kind of pricey.

http://www.amazon.com/Biscoff-Spread-14oz-Pack-2/dp/B004QKPCYE (ftp://www.amazon.com/Biscoff-Spread-14oz-Pack-2/dp/B004QKPCYE)
"And thus the whirligig of time brings in his
revenges." -- Feste, Twelfth Night by William Shakespeare.

Native Texan, Marylander currently

Sheila Take a Bow

• Formerly arija but I felt like a name change.
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2012, 01:51:44 PM »
It sounds like what they sell at Trader Joe's as speculoos cookie butter.  They actually used it as one of the basket ingredients in an episode of Chopped.

I can't decide if I like it or if I'm kind of grossed out by it.  (Something about a paste of ground up cookies disturbs me on some level, and I don't know why.)

Betelnut

« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2012, 02:19:39 PM »
Have just ordered some from Amazon.  I'll report back on my experience.  I suspect it will be good and I'll gain about 5 pounds!
"And thus the whirligig of time brings in his
revenges." -- Feste, Twelfth Night by William Shakespeare.

Native Texan, Marylander currently

hobish

• Super Hero!
  • Release the gelfling!
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2012, 05:25:25 PM »

Betelnut, it is tasty; i really like it. I can't see it as a penut butter substitute per se, but it is good on crackers and some of the same tings that go with peanut butter if that makes sense.

It sounds like what they sell at Trader Joe's as speculoos cookie butter.  They actually used it as one of the basket ingredients in an episode of Chopped.

I can't decide if I like it or if I'm kind of grossed out by it.  (Something about a paste of ground up cookies disturbs me on some level, and I don't know why.)

I'm sorry; that has made me amused all day. I cannot tell you why, but "a paste of ground up cookies disturbs me on some level" just sounds so ... something.
~Gaslight Anthem

hobish

• Super Hero!
  • Release the gelfling!
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2012, 05:30:34 PM »

I just looked up speculoos cookie butter - i had never heard of that before, either. I'm gong to have to try that. There is a Trader Joe's sort of nearish, i think.

~Gaslight Anthem