Author Topic: Possibly the most outrageous request I've ever heard! Update pg. 9, 15, 20, 29  (Read 71969 times)

Cami

I'm of the school of thought that people who go Bridezilla-ish when they're getting married aren't just sufferint from temporary insanity. I think they're showing their true colors.

POD. Plenty of brides and grooms are stressed out about their weddings. Plenty of people are stressed about life, in general. Many of them still manage to be thoughtful of others.

As the saying goes, "Crisis does not build character, it reveals it."

SoCalVal

I'm of the school of thought that people who go Bridezilla-ish when they're getting married aren't just sufferint from temporary insanity. I think they're showing their true colors.

POD. Plenty of brides and grooms are stressed out about their weddings. Plenty of people are stressed about life, in general. Many of them still manage to be thoughtful of others.

Throwing in my pod.  I've never thought that this behavior is only because of their wedding.  I'm planning my own and have managed to not go bridezilla (although I did warn the best man that I will if he continues to press me on trivial matters that are months from being a concern, like who is going to bring back the wedding gifts from the reception, then I just might go bridezilla on him -- he's a bit obsessive and very controlling).

Hunter-Gatherer

Another POD to this one.  If someone can't handle the stress of a wedding, how are they going to handle having kids, or serious illness, or problems with a house, or job, or any number of other things that can be just as stressful.

If I were engaged to someone who started acting like a bridezilla, I'd be calling it off.

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
When sufficiently advanced ignorance is indistinguishable from malice.  I don't know whose law that is a paraphrase of (Grey?) but it does apply in these situations.

Clarke's Law: "Sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."

Diane's Corollary:  Sufficiently advanced magic is indistinguishable from technology.
("Class, today we are going to begin chapter seven of Thaumaturgy For Intermediate Studies.   We will begin by outlining the proper methodology for dimensionally displacing infernal invaders, including the biology, ecology, and behavior of several species of demon.  Tomorrow, you'll all get to dissect an actual imp, so be sure that you have all of your vaccinations for possession and corruption up to date.")

Ahem.  On topic, I agree that this was most likely a planned thing... get Susan to wear the garment that makes her look "normal" so she doesn't embarrass Louise.  How thoroughly despicable.

On that note... bring on the updates!

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
Personally I think the different dress would just call attention to the arm. I've heard of there being a different dress for the MOH to set her apart from the rest, but unless Susan was dubbed MOH, Louise can't really claim it was so innocent.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Danika

• I'm not speeding. I'm qualifying.
Personally I think the different dress would just call attention to the arm. I've heard of there being a different dress for the MOH to set her apart from the rest, but unless Susan was dubbed MOH, Louise can't really claim it was so innocent.

I agree. I wouldn't be as focused on the bride. Can you imagine being a guest, sitting there, trying to pay attention to the vows, the whole time thinking "why are all the bridesmaids in one outfit and then that one girl, third down the line is wearing a different dress. Why?" And then eventually you'd see that she had a missing limb and then you'd think "Oh, was she trying to hide the prosthesis? Is that what's up with the dress? Poor girl is so self-conscious that she is wearing a different dress. How nice of the bride to let her wear a different dress because she's so self-conscious." And you'd miss all the vows because you'd be staring at the one bridesmaid the whole time.

Petticoats

Bumping in hope of an update. I'd love to know what the fallout was after the groom learned what his unlovely BTB had told his sister. Is the wedding still on?

Shoo

• Super Hero!

Laura didn't have to have Susan in family wedding photos if she didn't want to. DH and I had a BWW, but we didn't have extended family in posed photos.

But Susan isn't extended family.  She's the groom's sister!  That's immediate family.

Kimblee

• I look good in white....
  • Super Hero!
  • "Hugs don't go Boom." "They don't? Since when?"
    • My Blog
I'm also waiting for the update, and hoping that Louise offers a sincere apology.

I do find the whole situation rather ironic... I work in a building with a lady who is missing the lower half of her right arm and does not wear a prosthetic, and I only noticed it after I had spoken to her at least three times in passing. If Susan was to wear a sleeveless dress to match the other bridesmaids, particularly if they were all wearing wraps and/or holding flowers, I doubt that many people would even notice.

I did this in high school. (Didn't notice a missing limb for awhile.) Its off topic and I really just want updates to this so I'll post the story in the "things not to laugh at" thread.

Otterpop

Kimblee, I went looking for that thread and couldn't find it.  Darn it,  I was anticipating some good reading.  If it doesn't exist, you need to start it (we'll all contribute).

Kimblee

• I look good in white....
  • Super Hero!
  • "Hugs don't go Boom." "They don't? Since when?"
    • My Blog
Kimblee, I went looking for that thread and couldn't find it.  Darn it,  I was anticipating some good reading.  If it doesn't exist, you need to start it (we'll all contribute).

http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=78436.0

Much silliness.

Danika

• I'm not speeding. I'm qualifying.

Laura didn't have to have Susan in family wedding photos if she didn't want to. DH and I had a BWW, but we didn't have extended family in posed photos.

But Susan isn't extended family.  She's the groom's sister!  That's immediate family.

Depends on your viewpoint. Once the bride and groom are married (and possibly have kids, or bride and bride, groom and groom are married - as discussed up thread by others) they are immediate family and their siblings, parents, etc. are generally then considered extended family.

Otterpop

http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=78436.0

Much silliness.

Thank you!

Aeris

• Super Hero!

Depends on your viewpoint. Once the bride and groom are married (and possibly have kids, or bride and bride, groom and groom are married - as discussed up thread by others) they are immediate family and their siblings, parents, etc. are generally then considered extended family.

Ok, fine, but honestly when most people say "family wedding photos", they mean "wedding photos with original family members of the bride and groom".  I've never, ever, ever heard anyone use the phrase 'family wedding photos' to refer to pictures of the bride and groom only, with no one else. Then they'd just be 'wedding photos'.*

It's hugely common to have 'brideandgroom and bride's parents/siblings', then 'brideandgroom and groom's parents/siblings', etc.

*I could see someone using the phrase 'family wedding photos' to refer to a bride and groom with children shot, but as it doesn't appear that this particular bride and groom have children, it's not that relevant.

NyaChan

Aeris' interpretation is the one I am most familiar with as well.  When I've heard the phrase family photos at a wedding, it has never meant photos of just the bride and groom.  It always includes people other than the bride and the groom, but in some cases doesn't even have the happy couple in it.