Author Topic: Egg recipes needed!  (Read 4869 times)

MummyPumpkin83

Egg recipes needed!
« on: September 07, 2012, 09:46:19 PM »
So we got six chickens a few weeks ago.  :) So we now have about 4 dozen eggs in our fridge  ::)

Any and all recipes involving multiple eggs, that will hopefully encourage our kids to eat them too, would be helpful!
Mummy to 3 little Pumpkin boys!

Harriet Jones

• Super Hero!
  • Yes, we know who you are.
Re: Egg recipes needed!
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2012, 10:16:12 PM »
Deviled eggs (or just hard cooked eggs), egg salad, quiche (mini-quiches would be good for kids), breakfast casseroles (sweet or savory), french toast

I have a couple of friends who keep chickens, they sell a few dozen of their eggs each week so they don't go to waste.

NyaChan

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2012, 01:14:13 AM »
http://www.khanapakana.com/recipe/c8bb57b7-f10c-474a-9ced-8808671bdc9d/hyderabadi-breakfast-ande-ka-khagina

This one tastes pretty good if you like spices and want a variation of typical scrambled eggs.  Not what I would consider authentic for that dish, but still good. 

Steve

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2012, 03:29:18 AM »
How to feed your kids eggs and old stale bread:

When your bread is getting a bit older and harder, and is no longer very appetising to eat as a sandwich you can still make this with it, we call them wentelteefjes:
Be sure the bread is not mouldy or anything before you start.
Break an egg, add some milk to it and beat it untill it is one colour: then you soak the bread in the mixture (both sides).
You put some butter in a baking pan and you bake the bread on both sides until it is light brown.
You serve it with sugar and some cinnamon: it tastes great!

A few other favorites or my kids:
Make a hole in a slice of bread, put some butter in a pan, put the bread in the pan and break an egg in the hole, bake on both sides.

Hidden egg:
Boil an egg, get some mince meat, make a meatball around the egg and bake the meatball: there: meatball surprise :)

You can also do this as a meatloaf: less effort for the cook: you get a cake spring like this one: http://www.cuizine.be/images/ez_prod/2827/20326/tefal_patisserie_cakevorm.jpg
Butter it up so the meat does not stick. Get 2 kg of mince meat, put a pack of powdered soup in there (I  like union, but any soup will do) kneed the meat untill the soup is well distributed. Put a cm layer of meat in the form. Boil 4 or 5 eggs. Make little dents in the meatlayer and put your eggs in. THen fill up all the holes with meat. Make sure you have a nice meat layer on top and pop it in the oven. In about an hour the meat is cooked and your meatloaf is done. When slicing it the eggs are revealed :) meatloaf surprise :)

Secret egg feeding:
I use an almost raw egg in my ceasarsalad dressing, it tastes great but only works when no one sees you using it.

« Last Edit: September 08, 2012, 04:00:00 AM by Steve »

cicero

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2012, 03:49:36 AM »
shakshuka! this is a tasty and spicy israeli dish of eggs poached on a tomato sauce base. you serve one-two eggs per person and a lot of crusty bread or soft pita to scoop up the delish sauce.

There are tons of variations on a theme - some use more onion or less, some add sweet peppers as well as hot. Here is my version:

1/4 cup olive oil
1 or more hot peppers, seeded and chopped (or leave seeds in if you like spicy)
1-4 cloves garlic, crushed
1 tablspoon cumin
1 tablespoon sweet paprika
1 large can whole or crushed tomatoes with juice
1 large tablespoon tomato paste
salt, pepper to taste, pinch of sugar
1-2 eggs per person
1 tablespoon chopped parsley or coriander, optional, for serving

Heat oil in shallow wide pan with cover, add onion, cook until soft and golden. add garlic and peppers and cook for a few minutes, add remaining ingredients excpet eggs and parsley, cook for about 20 minutes. lower heat,  carefully break eggs and pour onto sauce. cover pan, let it cook on medium heat until whites are solid and yolks are still runny (or if you prefer, let them cook until yolks are firm). serve hot with bread or over mashed potatos.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

veryfluffy

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2012, 06:55:30 AM »
Having had far too many chickens and the resulting eggs for some time now, I can recommend baking (what I call "panic baking" once the eggs build up too far). 

Good recipes on the Joy of Baking site for Orange Chiffon Cake and American Sponge Cake. I can use up to 8 eggs for those.

I make a chocolate cinnamon Polish Babka bread which is amazing: this is the one I use for my breadmaker: http://frugaldrmom.blogspot.co.uk/2010/11/chocolate-polish-babka-recipe-for-bread.html , but if you google there are ones to do by hand as well.

Use spare egg yolks to make ice-cream.
Coconut macaroons are always popular, using the egg whites. If making omelettes, add a couple of extra yolks and save the whites, which freeze well.

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2012, 08:19:07 AM »
Challah bread uses lots of eggs if you bake.

Lemon curd for the yolks and angel food cake for the whites.

Your kids might like customizing their omelett doing the ziplock bag method.  Just google it.

Breakfast style casseroles are good for dinners too.  Our favorite is with frozen hashbrowns, browned sausage, and eggs mixed with milk.

Cheese souffle is also great.

Homemade mayo.

JenJay

• I'm a nonconformist who doesn't conform to the prevailing standards of nonconformity.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2012, 09:20:49 AM »
My absolute favorite breakfast!!
Preheat your oven for 400.
Butter however many ramekins you need (1 per person, 2 for big eaters).
Crack 2 eggs into each and add salt, pepper, a splash of cream and some shredded cheese.
You can also add sliced sausage links, crumbled bacon, diced bell peppers, etc. When we add extras we put them in first.
Bake for 20 minutes (When I do more than 2 it takes a few minutes longer but my oven stinks so that's not necessarily the case for everyone.)

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2012, 12:04:39 PM »
Irakuchen (Egg Cake)

The Germans on the board can tell me if I spelled that right.  We called it Patty Cake as kids.

8 eggs
3 cups milk
1 cup flour
1 lb bacon, cut into small pieces and fried crisp
1 can mushrooms - optional

Mix the ingredients together well.  Pour into a non-stick frying pan.  Let it begin to solidify then gently pull edges in to let the liquid in the centre out.  Otherwise, you'd just have scrambled eggs.  :) Once it is fairly firm all the way through, put a large plate over the frying pan, flip it over and then slide it back into the frying pan so the uncooked side is down.  Once it is cooked, flip it back out onto the plate and grate some cheese on top.  Place in the oven just long enough to melt the cheese.

My Mom's Quiche recipe:

1 9" quiche or deep pie plate lined with unbaked pastry
1 large onion, chopped
1/2 cup mushrooms, sliced
1/2 tsp oregano
3/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
2 tbsp butter
8 bacon slices, diced
1 pkg (125 g) cream cheese
1/4 cup parmesan cheese, grated
1 cup milk
3 eggs, beaten
1 cup broccoli, chopped and cooked
1/2 cup soft bread crumbs (about 1 slice)
4 tomatoes, sliced or wedged

Saute onions, mushrooms and seasonings in butter.  Fry bacon until crisp, drain and crumble.  Cream together cheeses, blend in milk.  Add beaten eggs.  Fold in broccoli, bacon, bread crumbs, onions and mushrooms.  Pour into pastry lined shell.  Arrange tomato slices around out edge.  Bake at 450 for 10 minutes.  Lower temperature to 350 and bake 25 minutes longer.  Let stand 10 minutes before serving.

Mom often served this with a salad and a loaf of crusty bread, like Italian or French.

Edited for spelling
« Last Edit: September 08, 2012, 02:28:24 PM by Outdoor Girl »
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

EmmaJ.

« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2012, 01:44:00 PM »
<snip>

Hidden egg:
Boil an egg, get some mince meat, make a meatball around the egg and bake the meatball: there: meatball surprise :)

You can also do this as a meatloaf: less effort for the cook: you get a cake spring like this one: http://www.cuizine.be/images/ez_prod/2827/20326/tefal_patisserie_cakevorm.jpg
Butter it up so the meat does not stick. Get 2 kg of mince meat, put a pack of powdered soup in there (I  like union, but any soup will do) kneed the meat untill the soup is well distributed. Put a cm layer of meat in the form. Boil 4 or 5 eggs. Make little dents in the meatlayer and put your eggs in. THen fill up all the holes with meat. Make sure you have a nice meat layer on top and pop it in the oven. In about an hour the meat is cooked and your meatloaf is done. When slicing it the eggs are revealed :) meatloaf surprise :)

I work with someone who told this story on herself:  As a very new bride, she was making this same meatloaf surprise for her husband.  Unfortunately, the recipe instructions did not specifically say "peel eggs first".

Boy was her husband surprised!!   ;D

jpcher

• Super Hero!
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2012, 01:52:27 PM »
Not much of a recipe, but just another use for hard-boiled eggs. Slice them and top your dinner salads with them.

I really like eggs with a spinach salad -- fresh spinach greens, finely chopped red onion, crumbled bacon, grated/crumbled cheese of your choice (I prefer cheddar) and sliced eggs served with a poppy-seed dressing.

eta: Or any of your favorite greens with crumbled eggs and a hot bacon dressing http://allrecipes.com/recipe/hot-bacon-dressing/
« Last Edit: September 08, 2012, 01:58:04 PM by jpcher »

doodlemor

« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2012, 01:59:24 PM »
How about spaghetti pie - some recipes even call for 3 eggs.  This can also be a great catch-all for leftovers.  Here is a link:

http://www.sargento.com/recipes/806/spaghetti-pie/

You could make custard or rice pudding, or this delicious flourless chocolate cake which takes 6 eggs:

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/La-Bete-Noire-235831

veryfluffy

« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2012, 06:06:24 PM »
Irakuchen (Egg Cake)

The Germans on the board can tell me if I spelled that right. 

Eierkuchen

Ei = egg
Eier = eggs

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2012, 06:08:22 PM »
Thanks!  My Mom was 1/2 German.  She spoke a little German, understood more but I never learned it.  Her grandmother would speak to her in German, Mom would answer in English and they understood each other just fine.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

BC12

« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2012, 10:31:10 PM »
Your kids might like customizing their omelett doing the ziplock bag method.  Just google it.

This is what I came to post. Ziploc omelets are a lot of fun. We do them on holiday mornings and for big family brunches. Everyone gets a Ziploc with their name on it and two eggs inside, then everyone prepares their own using pre-chopped additions like crumbled bacon or sausage, veggies, cheese, etc. Good for using up leftovers, too.

Bread pudding (sweet or savory) also uses lots of eggs.

Or breakfast burritos. Make a big pile of eggs scrambled with cheese, ham, whatever, then put a bit of the eggs in the center of a tortilla and roll it up. You can individually wrap these in plastic wrap and freeze them. For quick breakfasts, just unwrap and microwave for a minute or two.