Author Topic: Egg recipes needed!  (Read 5093 times)

jaxsue

• Super Hero!
Re: Egg recipes needed!
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2012, 08:04:17 AM »
How to feed your kids eggs and old stale bread:

When your bread is getting a bit older and harder, and is no longer very appetising to eat as a sandwich you can still make this with it, we call them wentelteefjes:
Be sure the bread is not mouldy or anything before you start.
Break an egg, add some milk to it and beat it untill it is one colour: then you soak the bread in the mixture (both sides).
You put some butter in a baking pan and you bake the bread on both sides until it is light brown.
You serve it with sugar and some cinnamon: it tastes great!

A few other favorites or my kids:
Make a hole in a slice of bread, put some butter in a pan, put the bread in the pan and break an egg in the hole, bake on both sides.

Hidden egg:
Boil an egg, get some mince meat, make a meatball around the egg and bake the meatball: there: meatball surprise :)

The first recipe we call "french toast" here. Challah bread makes the best french toast, IMHO. The best way to cook it is on a skillet - at least for me.

The hidden-egg recipe is very similar to scotch eggs, except those have sausage meat wrapped around them, are dipped in bread crumbs, then deep fried. Absolutely delicious!

Redsoil

« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2012, 08:09:51 AM »
Pavlova (an Aussie dessert) tends to use a lot of eggs, and tastes delicious!

http://www.taste.com.au/recipes/14966/pavlova
Look out... 
It's one of the Aussie Contingent!

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2012, 09:22:14 AM »
Onion Tart

1-1 1/2 lb. sliced sweet onion (Maya Sweet or Vidalia)
butter
sea salt
4 large eggs
1  9" pie crust

Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.  Slightly salt onions and saute in butter until caramelized.  Place in pie crust.  Beat eggs until slightly frothy, pour into crust.  Bake until fork inserted in center comes out dry, about 35-45 minutes.  Excellent appetizer.

I added green food dye to this (1 drop per egg) for St. Patrick's Day this year.  Big hit!

MamaMootz

• I'm a lumberjack and I'm O.K....
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2012, 05:26:31 PM »
Breakfast casserole

1 loaf of older bread, torn up
6 eggs
1 cup milk
8 oz shredded cheese of your choice
6 diced breakfast sausages (precooked) or 1 package of sausage crumbles
salt and pepper to taste

Preheat the oven to 350. Lightly grease a 13 x 9 pan and add the torn up bread as a base. Combine the eggs and milk, and beat until combined. Pour over the bread mixture and then add the sausage crumbles and top with the cheese, sprinkled salt and pepper.

Bake for 30 minutes or until the middle of the casserole is set.

Slice and enjoy! I usually do this for Christmas morning so we can open presents while it's baking.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2012, 04:13:19 PM by MamaMootz »
"I like pie" - DD's Patented Bean Dip Maneuver

MummyPumpkin83

« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2012, 11:22:40 PM »
Pavlova (an Aussie dessert) tends to use a lot of eggs, and tastes delicious!

http://www.taste.com.au/recipes/14966/pavlova

Is it bad that as a fellow Aussie I have never made a proper pavlova? I have brought the premade shells and put on the filling and cream.

May have to try this one.
Mummy to 3 little Pumpkin boys!

MummyPumpkin83

« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2012, 11:25:24 PM »
I googled the "ziploc omlette". The page that I found with the recipe also posted a message about the relative safety of doing this due to the type of  plastic in the bags. Anyone had any problems?
Mummy to 3 little Pumpkin boys!

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2012, 02:14:52 PM »
I googled the "ziploc omlette". The page that I found with the recipe also posted a message about the relative safety of doing this due to the type of  plastic in the bags. Anyone had any problems?

No, we've not had problems with the bursting.  Since we do this with Boy Scouts, we always get heavy duty Ziploc brand freezer bags for them to use.

There are articles that discuss the concerns with cooking in plastic.  Here's a source that sites several different articles with good information so people can make their own decision.

http://www.trailcooking.com/content/are-freezer-bags-safe

MrsCrazyPete

« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2012, 05:34:47 PM »
Onion Tart

1-1 1/2 lb. sliced sweet onion (Maya Sweet or Vidalia)
butter
sea salt
4 large eggs
1  9" pie crust

Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.  Slightly salt onions and saute in butter until caramelized.  Place in pie crust.  Beat eggs until slightly frothy, pour into crust.  Bake until fork inserted in center comes out dry, about 35-45 minutes.  Excellent appetizer.

I make this often! I've found it's even more delicious if you use a crescent roll sheet instead of a pie crust. I also add crumbled bacon!
Sell crazy somewhere else, we're all stocked up here.

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #23 on: September 10, 2012, 05:42:08 PM »
I may try that crescent roll dough sometime.

I can't wait until the cool weather stays.  I want to start baking again!

Cleargleam

« Reply #24 on: September 10, 2012, 06:09:14 PM »
4 eggs (as fresh as possible!)
2 cups cream
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 tsp almond extract
pinch each nutmeg, allspice and saffron
9" deep unbaked pastry shell

Mix eggs, cream, sugar and spices. Pour into deep unbaked pie shell. Bake at 450 for 10 minutes, then 300 for 30 minutes.

Optional: cover bottom of pastry shell with sliced strawberries before filling.

Miriam

« Reply #25 on: September 11, 2012, 11:34:01 AM »
I have a non food recipe: shiny, strengthening hair mask.

1 egg yolk
2 TB of hair conditioner
1 tsp. honey
1/2 tsp. olive oil

whisk around and leave on 15 minutes. egg whites are also great, but they dry the hair out faster if you leave it in longer. don't add heat or the eggs will cook. rinse out: shiny and strong egg hair!
"All Was Well"

snowdragon

« Reply #26 on: September 11, 2012, 01:13:25 PM »
Breakfast casserole

1 loaf of older bread, torn up
6 eggs
1 cup milk
8 oz shredded cheese of your choice
6 diced breakfast sausages or 1 package of sausage crumbles
salt and pepper to taste

Preheat the oven to 350. Lightly grease a 13 x 9 pan and add the torn up bread as a base. Combine the eggs and milk, and beat until combined. Pour over the bread mixture and then add the sausage crumbles and top with the cheese, sprinkled salt and pepper.

Bake for 30 minutes or until the middle of the casserole is set.

Slice and enjoy! I usually do this for Christmas morning so we can open presents while it's baking.

I think I love you,  I have been looking  for this recipe for years. They used to make it at the cafeteria where I used to work and no recipe I have found even looked close. thanks!

lowspark

« Reply #27 on: September 11, 2012, 01:36:23 PM »
This only uses three eggs but it's really good and really easy to make. I doubled the recipe once and made some with meat (it calls for ham but whatever meat you like is fine - I usually use sliced little smokies) and some with frozen broccoli for my vegetarian son. They make a great on-the-breakfast. I originally acquired the recipe from a Deen Brothers cookbook but found it on the web for posting here. These freeze well too so you can make a bunch and have them on hand for when you need a quick reheatable breakfast.

Oh, also, the cheddar cheese is flexible. I used jalapeno jack once, and have used other cheeses as well. By varying the meat/filling and cheese type, it makes a nice variety.

Game Day Breakfast to Go

(Adapted from "The Deen Bros. Get Fired Up")

1 (12-ounce) can refrigerated buttermilk biscuits (10 count)
3 large eggs
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/3 pound sliced deli ham, diced (or leftover ham)
1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons grated cheddar cheese

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Generously grease a 12-cup muffin pan. Using a sharp knife, slice each round of biscuit dough in half horizontally (making two rounds) and place one round in each of 10 muffin cups. In a bowl, whisk together the eggs, salt, and pepper. Sprinkle the ham evenly over the biscuit rounds in the muffin cups. Spoon about 2 tablespoons of the egg mixture over the ham, dividing it evenly among muffin cups. Top each with the 1/2 cup cheddar cheese and cover each muffin cup with a remaining biscuit round. Sprinkle the remaining cheddar cheese on the biscuit tops. Fill the two empty muffin cups halfway with water to prevent scorching. Bake until the biscuits are golden and firm and the egg is cooked through, about 20 minutes. Let cool slightly. Use an offset spatula to loosen the edges of the biscuits and  pop the biscuits out of the pan. Serve immediately or let cool completely and wrap in aluminum foil for on-the-go snacking.

blarg314

• Super Hero!
« Reply #28 on: September 12, 2012, 07:17:50 PM »

Use the yolks for custards, and the whites for meringues (or just do a lemon meringue pie).

Make a big quiche (egg pie).

MamaMootz

• I'm a lumberjack and I'm O.K....
« Reply #29 on: September 14, 2012, 01:19:40 PM »
You can also use the egg whites to bake meringue cookies, which are pretty easy to do. I have a food blog, so here is the link to my lemon meringue pie recipe as well as one for meringue cookies.
http://healthyadventuresincooking.blogspot.com/2012/05/its-meringue-day.html

p.s. Snowdragon, no worries - we love having that casserole. It is so EASY and also, great for breakfast potlucks.

"I like pie" - DD's Patented Bean Dip Maneuver