Author Topic: Egg recipes needed!  (Read 5106 times)

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
Re: Egg recipes needed!
« Reply #30 on: September 14, 2012, 01:29:44 PM »
I'm baking a lemon layer cake.  I just used 10 eggs for the lemon curd that will be the filling and I'll use another 2 for the icing before I'm done. 

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #31 on: September 14, 2012, 01:42:13 PM »
Hmmmmm, I would love to get that recipe if you are willing to share!
After cleaning out my Dad's house, I have this advice:  If you haven't used it in a year, throw it out!!!!.
Ontario

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #32 on: September 14, 2012, 02:03:35 PM »
It's a Cooks Illustrated recipe.  I've been making since it came out in their 2007 magazine but I found an online copy of the recipe on food.com.  I confirmed this is the same as in the magazne.  The only modification I've made is I add a about a tsp of lemon zest to the curd and about the same amount to the cake as we like a ton of lemon flavor.

http://www.food.com/recipe/ultimate-lemon-layer-cake-209312

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #33 on: September 14, 2012, 02:20:36 PM »
Thank you!  Looks fantastic.  I LOVE lemon.
After cleaning out my Dad's house, I have this advice:  If you haven't used it in a year, throw it out!!!!.
Ontario

ScubaGirl

« Reply #34 on: September 14, 2012, 04:09:25 PM »
Breakfast casserole

1 loaf of older bread, torn up
6 eggs
1 cup milk
8 oz shredded cheese of your choice
6 diced breakfast sausages or 1 package of sausage crumbles
salt and pepper to taste

Preheat the oven to 350. Lightly grease a 13 x 9 pan and add the torn up bread as a base. Combine the eggs and milk, and beat until combined. Pour over the bread mixture and then add the sausage crumbles and top with the cheese, sprinkled salt and pepper.

Bake for 30 minutes or until the middle of the casserole is set.

Slice and enjoy! I usually do this for Christmas morning so we can open presents while it's baking.

I think I love you,  I have been looking  for this recipe for years. They used to make it at the cafeteria where I used to work and no recipe I have found even looked close. thanks!

Slight variation:

13 X 9 pan - spray with Pam
Lay a base of frozen hash browns
fry up Bob Evans sausage (original or flavored)
Beat 1 dozen eggs and add a splash of milk, salt, and pepper
2 cups shredded cheese (or more, can't have too much cheese!)

Put the cook sausage on top of the hash browns
Cover the sausage with the cheese, hold some back
Pour egg mixture over top
Put remaining cheese on top

Bake in 350 degree oven for 1 hour.  Let it sit a little before cutting.

I put the casserole together the night before so in the morning all I have to do is put it in the oven.  Nice and easy.

(I also make this in an 8 x8 pan, depends upon how many guests we have.  I use 8 eggs and cut back on the sausage a little).

Sophia

• Super Hero!
  • xi
« Reply #35 on: September 14, 2012, 04:48:55 PM »
If I had a bunch of eggs, I would buy the Julia Childs Egg cookbook and just cooking at random. 

Cat-Fu

• My cat is a ninja
« Reply #36 on: September 14, 2012, 05:12:14 PM »
Another fun option is genoise cakes. They only use eggs for leavening, so you have to use quite a few! You can also use the genoise batter to pipe out ladyfingers, then make tiramisu (which also uses eggs)! Just keep in mind that you really have to soak a genoise in sugar syrup. An unfrosted and un-syruped genoise also freezes really well—make a bunch of smallish cakes, freeze them, and you're all set if you have unexpected company!

Also, tortillas espanola. Mmm. Total comfort food!
“Poetry is a sword of lightning, ever unsheathed, which consumes the scabbard that would contain it.” PBS

greencat

« Reply #37 on: September 14, 2012, 05:58:24 PM »
I needed to use up a bunch of eggs in a hurry once.  I hate peeling hardboiled eggs.  I realized that I could grease up a muffin pan really well, crack an egg into each cup, and then bake them for about 10 minutes at 350 and they'd pop right out, fully cooked - then I could put them in a container in the fridge and whenever I wanted egg for breakfast, on a salad or sandwich, or to make eggs Benedict, I could just pull one out.  Convenience eggs :)

I used a hamburger recipe that called for an egg per half-pound of meat to help them stick together - I froze individual burger patties (four to a bag in gallon freezer bags laid flat).

You could also use up some eggs battering stuff to be fried.

MamaMootz

• I'm a lumberjack and I'm O.K....
« Reply #38 on: September 14, 2012, 06:08:44 PM »
I needed to use up a bunch of eggs in a hurry once.  I hate peeling hardboiled eggs.  I realized that I could grease up a muffin pan really well, crack an egg into each cup, and then bake them for about 10 minutes at 350 and they'd pop right out, fully cooked - then I could put them in a container in the fridge and whenever I wanted egg for breakfast, on a salad or sandwich, or to make eggs Benedict, I could just pull one out.  Convenience eggs :)

I used a hamburger recipe that called for an egg per half-pound of meat to help them stick together - I froze individual burger patties (four to a bag in gallon freezer bags laid flat).

What a great idea on the hard boiled eggs! I am totally going to use that as DD loves hard boiled eggs and I'm usually the one that gets stuck peeling them for her.
"I like pie" - DD's Patented Bean Dip Maneuver

greencat

« Reply #39 on: September 14, 2012, 06:30:52 PM »

What a great idea on the hard boiled eggs! I am totally going to use that as DD loves hard boiled eggs and I'm usually the one that gets stuck peeling them for her.

Well, they come out as little egg circles, not as a whole egg-shaped egg - they taste rather more like pan-fried or poached eggs.  I suppose if you used a mini-muffin pan they'd be more like a hard-boiled egg though!

Harriet Jones

• Super Hero!
  • Yes, we know who you are.
« Reply #40 on: September 14, 2012, 08:26:17 PM »

You can hard-cook eggs (in the shell) in the oven and they're easier to peel than when you cook them in water. http://www.food.com/recipe/hard-cooked-eggs-in-the-oven-baked-eggs-61856

Sophia

• Super Hero!
  • xi
« Reply #41 on: September 14, 2012, 11:30:42 PM »
I have an egg cooker.  It is one of those appliances that are wonderful if you love love love what they do, but useless if you don't.  I love eggs.  It steams the eggs and I have never had a problem peeling them.  Even when I haven't gotten the egg into the ice water until a long time later.  With this, it isn't a big deal to hard-cook just one egg for a salad, or a couple for deviled eggs.