Author Topic: A kindness, and a dilemma  (Read 1711 times)

RebeccainGA

• formerly RebeccainAR
A kindness, and a dilemma
« on: October 16, 2012, 08:28:35 AM »
I frequently buy myself breakfast on the way to work - a quick biscuit at one of the five or six places I pass in the morning is quick, inexpensive, and a nice treat to start my morning (I am SO not a morning person). I went through Hardee's this morning, and when I got to the window, I was told that the lady in front of me had paid for my meal. This was, of course, a very kind gesture, and normally I would offer to pay for the person behind me - but I was the last one in the line, and it being still quite early, there was no telling when someone else would come through.

I was left with a dilemma, and although I simply thanked the person at the window and moved on, I wasn't quite sure what I should have done. Did I do the right thing?

Black Delphinium

• The Black Flower
  • Super Hero!
Re: A kindness, and a dilemma
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2012, 08:58:48 AM »
Next time you have the chance, pay it forward. Just because you couldn't right then, doesn't mean you couldn't on some other day.
When angels go bad, they go worse than anyone. Remember, Lucifer was an angel. ~The Marquis De Carabas

SiotehCat

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2012, 09:01:48 AM »
Ive heard of this before, but I have always wondered...how do you pay for someone behind you when you don't know their total?

RebeccainGA

• formerly RebeccainAR
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2012, 09:12:51 AM »
Next time you have the chance, pay it forward. Just because you couldn't right then, doesn't mean you couldn't on some other day.

That was sort of what I figured - probably tomorrow, if there is someone behind me (some days there is, some days there's not - I leave for work pretty early!).

Harriet Jones

• Super Hero!
  • Yes, we know who you are.
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2012, 09:18:39 AM »
Ive heard of this before, but I have always wondered...how do you pay for someone behind you when you don't know their total?

The total's probably already in the computer ...

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2012, 10:01:47 AM »
You also don't need to pay the whole total for the person behind you.  Let's say your total is $2.50.  You can hand the cashier $5 and tell her to put the rest towards the next person's total.  If their order is the same as yours, it's covered.  If it's more, they get $2.50 off.  If it's less, you can either tell the cashier to keep the change or put it in whatever fundraising jar they have or put it towards the second person coming behind you.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

25wishes

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2012, 01:15:24 PM »
Or, if there are street people in your area, buy breakfast for one of them?

snowdragon

« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2012, 02:47:57 PM »

The total's probably already in the computer ...

You ask the cashier what the person behind you bought. If you want to pay that much, do it. If not then just say "OK".  It does not seem to phase the cashiers at all.