Author Topic: daddy's plum  (Read 1703 times)

Bijou

• Super Hero!
daddy's plum
« on: September 08, 2012, 05:50:39 PM »
When my dad was just a little shaver the family lived in a rural, isolated area.  He was young, maybe 6 or 7 and had come by a nickel.  Instead of spending it on himself, he went to the market and saw a huge giant plum.  He bought it so his mother could make a plum pie for the family.  When he presented it to my grandmother she thanked him, but realized what he did not...that it was an eggplant.  Poor dad.  No pie for him.   :'(  And poor Gramma...she had to figure out how to cook an eggplant.  I wonder what she did with it.

I meant to mention that this was around 1908 because my dad was born in 1902 in a little logging community way up on the California coast.  He started working in the woods when he was 13 years old.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2012, 09:09:41 PM by Bijou »
I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.

Bethczar

Re: daddy's plum
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2012, 07:38:41 PM »
Poor little guy! What a disappointment!

That reminded me of another eggplant related story:
When I was a little girl, we took trips every summer to my grandparents' farm. One time, as we were pulling up the drive, I commented that Grandma was growing eggplant in her garden this year. My mom asked me how I knew that, since we couldn't see the garden yet. I said "Her sign said  'Eggs for sale!'".
Oddly enough, Grandma was growing eggplant in her garden that year.

Bijou

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2012, 09:05:04 PM »
Poor little guy! What a disappointment!

That reminded me of another eggplant related story:
When I was a little girl, we took trips every summer to my grandparents' farm. One time, as we were pulling up the drive, I commented that Grandma was growing eggplant in her garden this year. My mom asked me how I knew that, since we couldn't see the garden yet. I said "Her sign said  'Eggs for sale!'".
Oddly enough, Grandma was growing eggplant in her garden that year.
That must have been neat going to the farm.  Love that someone else has an eggplant story.

I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.

gmatoy

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2012, 09:46:56 PM »
Here's my eggplant story: I am a substitute teacher and was in a class when another person came in and taught about vegetables and health to the children. One mentioned was eggplant and she commented that she didn't know how to cook it and I told her that I had several good recipes. I copied them and gave them to her. the next time I saw her she told me "hi" from her boyfriend, who was a teacher in another building and had told her that I was very special!