Author Topic: Party at my office ~ menu help, please!  (Read 5603 times)

AstiTheWestie

Party at my office ~ menu help, please!
« on: September 08, 2012, 07:31:37 PM »
Hi everybody! First post here. I am hosting a cocktail party at my office for a friend visiting from out of town. It is not an office party, per se, just that my office is a convenient location for all. My friends are the guests, no clients.

No allergies, nothing off limits. I do have a friend bringing a dessert.

I am looking for ideas for heavy appetizers. Room temperature kind of things. I can keep things cold, I am unable to warm things up. Ideas? Thank you all in advance!

violinp

• cabbagegirl28's my sister :)
Re: Party at my office ~ menu help, please!
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2012, 07:37:52 PM »
This is what I can think of off the top of my head:
  • Mixed nuts
  • Cheese and crackers
  • Shrimp and cocktail sauce
  • Pimientio cheese (or whatever kind of sandwich) half - sandwiches
  • Deviled eggs
  • Tortilla chips and queso dip

If I can think of anything else, I'll update this post.
"It takes a great deal of courage to stand up to your enemies, but even more to stand up to your friends" - Harry Potter

QueenofAllThings

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2012, 07:58:57 PM »
I am assuming you own your own business, are the boss, or have cleared this with the people that matter?

Hummus (protein!) with chips and/or veggies
Cheese balls - roll a grape in blue cheese, then crushed pecans - or whatever you fancy
Deviled eggs
Prosciutto wrapped asparagus (or melon)
Split biscuits (mini or reg) - honey mustard and ham

AstiTheWestie

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2012, 08:23:48 PM »
Yes, you are assuming correctly. It is my own office. No need to clear anything with anyone!

I also realized, of course, after I posted, that I certainly could use a crockpot to keep something warm, if need be.

rose red

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2012, 09:05:14 PM »
Pinwheels always get all eaten up at my office.  Pinwheels are tortillas that's filled, rolled up, and gets cut up to look like little wheels.

Bagel chips with spinach dip.  Not a common combo, but really good.

yokozbornak

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2012, 01:52:44 AM »
You could do meatballs in a crockpot. 

In addition to the above mentioned items, fruit and vegetable trays are always good. 

You could do tortilla chips with salsa, guacamole, and a buffalo chicken dip. 

You also can do a tray of sweets.  Maybe mini-cheesecakes, brownie bites, or cupcakes.

cicero

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2012, 03:39:41 AM »
frittatas - can be made with all kinds of veg with cheese and eggs, and served warm temp or cold.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Oh Joy

« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2012, 07:35:17 AM »
By cocktail, I assume it's an evening event.

What kinds of drinks are you serving?  What's the tone of the party...comfortable & casual, trendy, intimate & upscale, understated, impressive & fancy...?  Do you want minimal prep work, or would you enjoy fussing around the kitchen for hours?

AstiTheWestie

« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2012, 07:47:10 AM »
Yes, a Friday evening after work event. Casual, just a get-together with the girls. There will probably be around 10 of us or so. Visiting with a friend from out of town that we all only see once a year. Everything I make will have to be made at home and transported since I don't have a kitchen at work. We will have wine, bottled water, some soft drinks on ice, and coffee.

I am very much a "presentation" person - you eat with your eyes first. So I am fussy in the presentation department. And love having different textures and colors.

Very much liking the different dip ideas, the pinwheels, the shrimp. And the small dessert bites! Thank you so much for all of your wonderful ideas!

greencat

« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2012, 08:27:20 AM »
Check with your local deli and see if they do a meat/cheese cube tray - it's filling, attractive, and delicious, and not messy.
Alternative, get a few wedges of gourmet cheeses, lovely bunches of grapes, and roll prosciutto - it will go well with the wine.

My friends always make meatballs - they buy pre-made frozen ones - in a sauce of barbeque sauce, cherry cola, and brown sugar in the slow-cooker.  They have a humungous slow cooker and everyone always empties it at parties.

I saw a lovely photo somewhere of a really simple "kebab" presentation of tomatoes, mozzarella balls, and basil - it was a fresh basil leaf pieced at both ends and kind of wrapped around a cherry tomato and a mozzarella ball about the same size (also on the skewer), all drizzled with olive oil.  It was very cheery with the red, green, and white, and it looked delicious - and easy to make ahead and store.

Sliced French bread with assorted spreads is nice and easy - it also helps sop up the sauce from the meatballs :)

Oh Joy

« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2012, 08:35:18 AM »
Hmmm...I'd be inclined to do three big focal pieces:
1) A big upscale cheese platter with a few things elevated up a few inches for height.  Several great cheeses, dark red grapes, candied nuts, colorful preserves (I had an awesome thyme marmalade yesterday), with water crackers and thin slices of herbed foccacia.
2) A dip trio (heavy stuff, like black bean dip, avocado spread, and hummus) with crudites and a heavy grainy crackers.
3) A tiered mini dessert platter with mini cheesecakes (I have an easy recipe done in foil muffin cups with a Nilla Wafer for a crust), chocolate or brownie bites, and salted caramels.

Then a few small 'nibble' bowls scattered about with things like olives, spiced nuts, candies (something minty or herby, maybe?), and such.

Other cold heavier nibbles include rye crackers/thin bread with cream cheese/Laughing Cow and salad shrimp (a tiny bit of fresh dill is pretty on there), proscuitto-wrapped melon (Queen has good taste), caprese skewers (tomato, fresh mozzarella balls, basil), and...I need to stop now - getting hungry!

And I forgot Rule #1 of hosting: buy only things you would love to eat as leftovers!

Best wishes!

OK - apparently greencat and I have the same tastes.  Posting anyway since it's already typed out.

greencat

« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2012, 08:52:59 AM »
Caprese!  That was the word I couldn't remember for the skewers!

Oh Joy

« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2012, 09:58:17 AM »
Caprese!  That was the word I couldn't remember for the skewers!

A skewer by any name, it's a good excuse to splurge on quality olive oil.  Also good with a drizze of basalmic and a crack of fresh pepper.  Mmmm...

MrsCrazyPete

« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2012, 12:19:52 PM »
I have a good appetizer that looks great but is so easy!

Slice up a loaf of French bread. Spread with herbed goat cheese. Top with a fresh basil leaf, then a slice of prosciutto. Sooo yummy!

Also I second the meatballs! Buy a bag of frozen ones, add a bottle of chili sauce and a jar of grape jelly and cook on low.

Cheese and crackers
Veggies and hummus
Caprese skewers
Deviled eggs
Shrimp cocktail

Yummo! Now I want to have a party just to eat all these things!
Sell crazy somewhere else, we're all stocked up here.

AstiTheWestie

« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2012, 01:52:39 PM »
Loving the ideas! I do love a fancy cheese plate (with "different" cheeses and grapes and such); caprese skewers; prociutto wrapped melon; hummus, spinach dip, and crab dip with an assortment of cool crackers/breads; pinwheels; meatballs; cold shrimp on ice; an assortment of mini-desserts. I have some excellent serving dishes so everything will look awesome. So excited! I am also bringing a bunch of empty chinese take-out boxes for people to take home leftovers.

I am just picturing the presentation - all the colors should be gorgeous! There is a lot of variety in the menu. And the varying heights ... wow. Ok. You are all invited!