Author Topic: Parking tickets and other things:   do they affect your driving record?  (Read 10914 times)

marcel

Re: Parking tickets and other things:   do they affect your driving record?
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2012, 09:53:36 PM »
In the Netherlands, I believe that there is a point system for beginning drivers nowadays, but not for everybody.

I do not know if all tickets you receive are kept on record, but tickets for egregious violatiopns will be. If you then commit an traffic violation for which you lose your license, the DA or judge will take previous violations into account when deciding on when you get your license back.

as for tickets to the owner or the driver. For practical reasons, parking tickets, and speeding/red light tickets made by camera's go to the owner. If you are stopped by the police, the ticket goes to the driver.

One more thing I notice from forums and tv. In the US. tickets go on the record for your insurance, that is unheard of here.  In the Netherlands, insurance companies have no information about tickets you have ever received, and this will not influence your premiums in any way. The only records they have is about accidents you have had, and this does influence your premiums.
Wherever you go..... There you are.

kareng57

• Super Hero!
Re: Parking tickets and other things:   do they affect your driving record?
« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2012, 10:43:57 PM »
In the Netherlands, I believe that there is a point system for beginning drivers nowadays, but not for everybody.

I do not know if all tickets you receive are kept on record, but tickets for egregious violatiopns will be. If you then commit an traffic violation for which you lose your license, the DA or judge will take previous violations into account when deciding on when you get your license back.

as for tickets to the owner or the driver. For practical reasons, parking tickets, and speeding/red light tickets made by camera's go to the owner. If you are stopped by the police, the ticket goes to the driver.

One more thing I notice from forums and tv. In the US. tickets go on the record for your insurance, that is unheard of here.  In the Netherlands, insurance companies have no information about tickets you have ever received, and this will not influence your premiums in any way. The only records they have is about accidents you have had, and this does influence your premiums.

Unpaid highway/bridge tolls also go on your record here (Canada) - you will unable to renew your vehicle insurance until the tolls are paid up.  (I'm referring to systems where they take a picture of the license plate as you approach, rather than physical toll-booths).  And you have to pay-up beforehand; the insurance offices are not equipped to take toll payments.