A Civil World. Off-topic discussions on a variety of topics. > Trans-Atlantic Knowledge Exchange

S/o of a couple of things - Fortnight: Unusual or not

<< < (18/18)

Ceallach:

--- Quote from: oz diva on November 12, 2012, 12:06:59 AM ---And what is a weekend? /Downton geek

--- End quote ---

Lol yes that cracked me up too on Downton - we sometimes forget that "weekend" is a modern concept.    In the olden times from what I understand the days were somewhat irrelevant to the wealthy, and to the poor most days were working days (or perhaps they'd have one day off - Sunday maybe), the "working week" and "weekend" as we know it are relatively modern concepts.

Slartibartfast:

--- Quote from: Ceallach on November 14, 2012, 03:07:29 AM ---
--- Quote from: oz diva on November 12, 2012, 12:06:59 AM ---And what is a weekend? /Downton geek

--- End quote ---

Lol yes that cracked me up too on Downton - we sometimes forget that "weekend" is a modern concept.    In the olden times from what I understand the days were somewhat irrelevant to the wealthy, and to the poor most days were working days (or perhaps they'd have one day off - Sunday maybe), the "working week" and "weekend" as we know it are relatively modern concepts.

--- End quote ---

AFAIK Sundays still would have been church days - which would often have been a much longer affair than modern services usually are  :) 

cabbageweevil:

--- Quote from: Slartibartfast on November 14, 2012, 04:09:28 AM ---
--- Quote from: Ceallach on November 14, 2012, 03:07:29 AM ---

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

AFAIK Sundays still would have been church days - which would often have been a much longer affair than modern services usually are  :)

--- End quote ---

One gathers that "the lower orders" made the best of the situation as described, however bleak. As in the eighteenth-century ballad "Sally In Our Alley", by Henry Carey -- the "speaker", a downtrodden apprentice in whose life the only bright spot is his girlfriend and, he hopes, future wife:

"Of all the days that's in the week,
 I dearly love but one day --
 And that's the day that comes betwixt
 A Saturday and Monday:
 For then I'm drest in all my best
 To walk abroad with Sally;
 She is the darling of my heart
 And she lives in our alley.

My master carries me to church
 And often I am blam-ed
 Because I leave him in the lurch
 As soon as text is nam-ed;