Author Topic: Pumpkin  (Read 7604 times)

POF

Re: Pumpkin
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2012, 02:29:20 PM »
I've made a beef stew that is cooked in a hollowed pumpkin, then you scoop some of the roasted flesh with the stew. Very good.

I make pumpkin bread, pumpkin jelly roll, and sometimes soup

JonGirl

• I'm a JonGirl forever.
    • http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBAa6CvY-TQ
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2012, 08:07:30 PM »

Why, you eat it mashed in with mashed potato of course!
So it looks orange instead of white. Yummmmmy!!
Stewart/Colbert '16

Betelnut

« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2012, 08:10:44 PM »
Just today I had some pumpkin, oatmeal and butterscotch chip cookies.  They were divine!
Native Texan, Marylander currently

Gwywnnydd

« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2012, 08:11:45 PM »
I love pumpkin pie, and I make a pumpkin peanut soup that has surprised most who try it with how good it is...

I'll carve jack o'lanterns, but I don't try to eat them. The cultivars used for carving pumpkins are bland.

oz diva

• The Classics are SO last Century
« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2012, 10:16:15 PM »
It's true the pumpkin we eat is far sweeter than the one's you'd carve. Here we eat Qld Blue, Japp or substitute Butternut Squash.  This is fresh pumpkin, not canned. I've never seen canned pumpkin for sale here.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2012, 12:31:35 AM by oz diva »

Victoria

Ereine

« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2012, 11:30:57 PM »
I'm in Finland and pumpkin isn't used much here. Some people grow it and I think that it's sometimes available in larger grocery stores and in recent times they've started stocking carving pumpkins even in smaller stores. The only common use seems to be in salads, small quite bright yellow cubes that I presume have been pickled. I think that they ruin the salad.

kareng57

• Super Hero!
« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2012, 11:42:39 PM »
I've always tossed the Hallowe'en Jack-o-Lantern into the compost heap, to be honest.

I've used canned-pumpkin in many recipes (pies, muffins etc.) - but it seems that, according to the ingredient-list, the product is mainly squash, anyway.

veryfluffy

« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2012, 02:53:17 PM »
In Austria, they make pumpkin seed oil. It is incredible on salads or for dipping bread.

Oh Joy

« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2012, 03:35:29 PM »
I use canned pumpkin and peanut butter as the base for a curry sauce with whole wheat spaghetti noodles, after being introduced to this awesome recipe years ago (I think I was searching the 'net for pumkpin recipes after being inundated in my CSA box):

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/rachael-ray/pumpkin-peanut-curry-noodles-with-five-spice-seared-scallops-and-shrimp-recipe/index.html

Mmmmmm...

melbelle39

« Reply #24 on: September 14, 2012, 06:04:34 AM »
Also in Australia so pumkin is boiled/roasted and served as a vegetable as part of dinner... occasionaly used for soups or scones... I also add it to risottos or curries when its handy.

I couldn't get my head around pumpkin pie as a dessert until an american friend made it - but its full of cream, butter and sugar (and is also delicious)  I dont get pumpkin cheesecake or lattes or anything else really and the thought of pumpkin in a can makes me feel ill.

Green Bean

« Reply #25 on: September 21, 2012, 09:06:58 PM »
I also use in chili. I had a recipe that called for cans of condensed tomato soup-helped with the texture. I cringed every time b/c it's just a can of red salt. The pumpkin works the same way, is healthier, and doesn't change the flavor noticably.

Of course, pumpkin pie is great, too.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #26 on: September 21, 2012, 09:23:16 PM »
Pumpkin pie, pumpkin bread with cream cheese filling, or rolls rather, but the bread is good too.  Pumpkin chocolate chip bread, muffins and cookies, pumpkin soup...

I made the last today and I was the only one who liked it. My family will never become vegetarians, as much as they turn their noses up at soup without meat in it, so it's a good thing that's not my aim!
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

marcel

« Reply #27 on: September 22, 2012, 12:48:36 AM »
Mostly pumpkin soup, but also pumpkin pie, stir fry or stew.
Wherever you go..... There you are.

katycoo

« Reply #28 on: September 22, 2012, 06:44:15 AM »
It's true the pumpkin we eat is far sweeter than the one's you'd carve. Here we eat Qld Blue, Japp or substitute Butternut Squash.  This is fresh pumpkin, not canned. I've never seen canned pumpkin for sale here.
You can get it, but usually only at specialty stores where other US products are specially imported.  My mum uses it for pumpkin bread.  Easier/quicker than roasting and pureeing your own.

PastryGoddess

• Super Hero!
    • My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #29 on: September 22, 2012, 07:16:44 PM »
I got some pumpkin today from the farmers market along with butternut and acorn squash.  I'm going to roast it and puree it into soup.  I've got half a roasted chicken in the fridge and I'm debating whether or not to make chicken stock tonight to add to the soup.