A Civil World. Off-topic discussions on a variety of topics. > Food

Pickles

(1/3) > >>

CakeEater:
I've been watching too much Sesame Street with DD recently. Are sandwiches often served with a green pickle on the plate in the US?

On the same topic, do children take their slice of pickle off their burger at McDonalds there? It seems like it's almost a ritual here. The workers put it on, and every child I've ever seen eat a burger, pulls theirs apart and takes the slice off.

On the same topic, we would usually call it a gherkin, here. (Australia)

miritree:

--- Quote from: CakeEater on September 09, 2012, 11:38:56 PM ---I've been watching too much Sesame Street with DD recently. Are sandwiches often served with a green pickle on the plate in the US?
Yes.
On the same topic, do children take their slice of pickle off their burger at McDonalds there? It seems like it's almost a ritual here. The workers put it on, and every child I've ever seen eat a burger, pulls theirs apart and takes the slice off.
I guess it depends if they like pickles on their burger or not. :)
On the same topic, we would usually call it a gherkin, here. (Australia)
Some people call them gherkins here in the US. I've seen them labeled as such in the store when they are a little smaller.

--- End quote ---

lovepickles:
Pickles are awesome. Yes, people eat pickles are often served with sandwiches at decent deli's but lately they ask before including them. I can't comment on McDonalds because we do not eat there. Have I mentioned how much I love pickles?

:D

Thipu1:
Yes,  in NYC, pickles are often served with a deli sandwich.  It's not so common with something like a BLT.

Also, gherkins here are usually sweet pickles rather than sours or dills. 

WillyNilly:

--- Quote from: Thipu1 on September 10, 2012, 09:06:04 AM ---Yes,  in NYC, pickles are often served with a deli sandwich.  It's not so common with something like a BLT.

Also, gherkins here are usually sweet pickles rather than sours or dills.

--- End quote ---

In my NYC experience all sandwiches, and burgers, at diner's are served with a pickle on the side, except egg sandwiches.  At an actual deli - generally take out food - you have to pay extra for a pickle.  But deli pickles are better then diner pickles.

Street fairs often have a "pickle guy" as one of the booths - a stand with big wooden barrels filled with various pickles for sale (to take home, or to buy individually to eat as you walk through the fair).  Most pickles are cucumber pickles, although other pickled veggies aren't totally uncommon (cauliflower, green beans, carrots, etc).  Some people eat pickled watermelon rind, pickled eggs, or pickled pigs feet but my understanding those are more southern things.  Cucumber pickles come in different varieties: dill (often kosher dill), garlic, sweet (sometimes called bread & butter), sour, etc.

Its my understanding a "gherkin" is a specific type of small sweet pickle.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version