Author Topic: Thank you for a thank you?  (Read 1527 times)

KrisLee

Thank you for a thank you?
« on: September 10, 2012, 12:05:44 PM »
I can't tell if I'm overthinking this so I could use some help!
The project team I work on at my mid-sized (1000) company just finished a big project. As a thank you, we were all given tickets to a local event. We got the message from our supervisor, who told us the president wanted to thank us for our hard work. Now that the event has passed, do I write a thank you to the supervisor? The president? Can we send one from the group or should they be individual? I guess the short question is, Do you send a thank you note for a thank you gift? Thanks!

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
Re: Thank you for a thank you?
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2012, 12:18:51 PM »
I don't think you have to send a thank-you note for this.

Dropping an email to the president to say, "I enjoyed the event. It was really nice to know that you recognized all the hard work. I felt proud of what I had done, and of my coworkers, but it's really good to know that what we do is valued at the highest levels of the organization."

So the FEEDBACK is really what's most important.
And the public-relations effort can't hurt.

But I wouldn't write a paper note--this is not a personal gift. And I wouldn't do a group one.

Redsoil

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2012, 08:53:20 AM »
I don't think it hurts to let someone know in a business situation that you appreciate their recognition of work done, and thank them for their generous gesture that was very much appreciated.
Look out... 
It's one of the Aussie Contingent!

KrisLee

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2012, 02:50:48 PM »
Hi all - Thanks for the advice. On the thank you for a thank you.  :)
I used the wording you suggested and sent an email. I got one in response, too, so I think it was the right way to go. Thanks again for the advice!

EanieBeanie

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2012, 01:50:18 PM »
Longtime lurker here.  I'm glad I found this thread as I had a similar question.  I work in a large accounting firm where you can send out thank you points to colleagues and they can save them up or trade them in on gift cards or gifts.  I recently received some thank you points.  Once I trade them in for gift cards to buy a new leather jacket, I think I'll send a nice email that mentions what I chose with a thank you for the recognition.  A thank you card for thank you points seems too formal.