Author Topic: baby gear  (Read 5412 times)

Pippen

Re: baby gear
« Reply #30 on: September 14, 2012, 05:17:46 PM »
Slightly off topic.

My brother and his partner were bring their new baby over from Oz for a wedding. Mum was talking about this with the elderly neighbours who insisted we borrow their portacot and highchair they had stored in their garage. We were just going to buy a new cot because they aren't that expensive. Still they dropped it round anyway and set it up when we were out. It must have been 40 years old and made out of cavnas. It was filthy. Covered in dust and all sorts of things that come out of babies. The smell was awful. We took one look at it and were all 'Hell no! You can't put a child in there!' It was like the baby version of being sent to the Gulag. So we went out and brought the new cot as intended and guess who was ordered to spend several hours cleaning the old one before sending it back unused.

violinp

• cabbagegirl28's my sister :)
« Reply #31 on: September 15, 2012, 01:19:12 AM »
Slightly off topic.

My brother and his partner were bring their new baby over from Oz for a wedding. Mum was talking about this with the elderly neighbours who insisted we borrow their portacot and highchair they had stored in their garage. We were just going to buy a new cot because they aren't that expensive. Still they dropped it round anyway and set it up when we were out. It must have been 40 years old and made out of cavnas. It was filthy. Covered in dust and all sorts of things that come out of babies. The smell was awful. We took one look at it and were all 'Hell no! You can't put a child in there!' It was like the baby version of being sent to the Gulag. So we went out and brought the new cot as intended and guess who was ordered to spend several hours cleaning the old one before sending it back unused.

Oh man, that's even worthy of the Gross Out thread! You're a champ for cleaning that.
"It takes a great deal of courage to stand up to your enemies, but even more to stand up to your friends" - Harry Potter

Pippen

« Reply #32 on: September 15, 2012, 05:10:24 AM »
Slightly off topic.

Oh man, that's even worthy of the Gross Out thread! You're a champ for cleaning that.

I resented every second of it. Mum said we couldn't send it back in that condition. ???? What? the condition it arrived in? I am fully onboard with improving things but this was a bridge too far. I was brought up on a farm so gross things are few and far between for me but this really was something else. If I had swabbed it I am sure it would have tested positive for leprosy, plague and west nile virus.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2012, 05:19:22 AM by Pippen »