Author Topic: Pasta Feed Help  (Read 3992 times)

Mikayla

Re: Pasta Feed Help
« Reply #30 on: September 12, 2012, 04:53:01 PM »
Some caveats to keep in mind for the vegans:

Pesto is usually made with cheese
Some pasta contains egg

I agree. Also, I learned the hard way that vegans don't eat any tomato product that contains "natural flavors".  I think tomato paste is ok, but pasta sauces in jars, tomato sauce, and ketchup are not.  Someone upthread mentioned Newman's, and I also think any organic sauce works.  You just need to make sure it doesn't have natural flavors listed.

blarg314

• Super Hero!
« Reply #31 on: September 12, 2012, 07:24:55 PM »

For pesto, you can use walnuts instead of pine-nuts, which can make it cheaper. The cheese is the last thing added, so you can keep some back for a vegan version.

For vegan sauce, I'd go with canned tomatoes and make my own, as I think natural flavours aren't usually added to the canned ones. For a simple marinara, use big cans of tomatoes, diced onions, garlic and herbs. For a more complicated sauce, add finely diced carrots, celery and onions, and for a meat sauce, start with sauteed ground beef or pork.

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #32 on: September 12, 2012, 10:11:57 PM »
Beware of canned tomatoes as some of them are canned with tons of sodium.  I use one brand that I know by sight, but of course can't remember the name of.  *sigh* I am way to young to be having senior moments ::)