Author Topic: Pasta Feed Help  (Read 3759 times)

audrey1962

Re: Pasta Feed Help
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2012, 11:55:06 AM »
ETA: I would also skip the sauteed veggies.

The bread and oil can serve as app's.

CakeBeret

« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2012, 12:21:23 PM »
I would do a homemade marinara sauce. It's so much cheaper and easier, especially if you can get the tomatoes in bulk, and you can make it vegan.

For a secondary sauce, you could also do a roasted veggie sauce. Similar to marinara, but roast tomatoes, onions, garlic, and mushrooms together before cooking into sauce.

Do you have an Aldi or similar discount store in your area? I can get a pound of pasta for 60 cents at my Aldi.
"From a procrastination standpoint, today has been wildly successful."

greencat

« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2012, 12:48:24 PM »
Even better is if you know someone with a membership to a warehouse club that is willing to take you shopping (bring your cash though, as they often insist that if the purchase is made with a credit card, that it match the member name).  They sell huge bags of pasta for really cheap - I think I bought a ten-pounder at Sam's club for $3 or $4.

Dollar stores are not necessarily good places to buy pasta, if your grocery store brand is less than a dollar a pound.

wx4caster

• Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!
    • wx4caster's Crafty Albums
« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2012, 01:50:47 PM »
Personally, I would go for pesto instead of the Alfredo sauce and roasted vegetables instead of sauteed - something with red peppers, eggplant and lots of garlic (one of my favourites: http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Pasta-with-Roasted-Vegetables-Tomatoes-and-Basil-105764 but I do add more garlic)
The days are long but the years are short.

rose red

• Super Hero!
« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2012, 02:42:29 PM »
Since I don't like red sauce or pesto (not that I'm going to be there), I suggest bowtie pasta with oil and garlic with broccoli (plus mushrooms and/or chicken if it's in the budget). 

Does pasta salad count or does the main meals have to be hot?  This can be made the night before and fairly inexpensive.

Zilla

• Super Hero!
    • Cooking
« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2012, 03:12:25 PM »
I second the meatballs.  You can do ground turkey or chicken for a "healthier" version and add spices/herbs, breadcrumbs and parm to it for alot of flavor.  And meatballs can be cooked separately and added to the tomato sauce (leaving the sauce vegan style for others) or pesto if you go that route.  The chicken/turkey will do well with pesto as well.

I would get 2 pounds of meat which can make about 40 small meatballs.  (about 20 per pound)  Cook them on cookie sheets in the oven and then put them in a crock pot to keep warm with a tiny bit of chicken stock for steaming.

Making your own bread would be cheap as well, especially if you do the artisan 5 minute bread recipe. [size=78%]http://www.nytimes.com/2007/11/21/dining/211brex.html?_r=0[/size]

For 30 people, I would do 10 loaves.  You can add garlic to the dough and make it garlicky.  You would need 3 bags of flour and 10 packets of yeast if you used the above recipe.  I make it all the time and love it.

Good luck!

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2012, 03:22:56 PM »
One lacto-vegetarian dish I've found that satisfies carnivores is a baked ziti with a good marinara and plenty of mozzarella on top. 

I would add my voice to the suggestion that green bell peppers be excluded from everything but the salad.  Those things are always top dog in any cooked dish and remain so for hours after eating. 

Dump the Alfredo and go with the pesto.  Pesto keeps better.  It's friendly to more diets and basil by the bunch should be within your budget.  Don't depend on that poor little plant of yours to provide everything. 

Pesto and maninara available with linguini and bow-ties should take care of things nicely.

Whatever you decide to do, the meal sounds like something I'd love to   

mbbored

• Super Hero!
    • Budget Grad Student
« Reply #22 on: September 11, 2012, 07:36:02 PM »
This is what I would do:

One sauce: Marinara (a vegan sauce or make your own)
Two types of pasta: one short noodle (such as penne), one long noodle
Put everything else on the side, including the meats and cheeses

I would only add a second sauce (pesto, since basil is available). Easy to make, cheap if you substitute the pine nuts and it freezes well in case of leftovers.

Have you thought of drinks yet?

I like this set up with sauce options. I might do sauteed ground Italian sausage for something more exciting. As a vegetarian, I don't feel comfortable doing more than browning preground meat, so I think the meatballs will be out. Drinks I'm keeping simple, since our group doesn't seem to drink soft drinks so I'll just be providing water, iced tea, and lemonade. I can't buy alcohol with the money provided, so I put on the invitation that if they have a favorite beer or wine, feel free to bring some to share.

Ms_Cellany

• The Queen of Squee
  • Super Hero!
  • Big white goggie? No. Hasn't seen him.
« Reply #23 on: September 11, 2012, 08:29:05 PM »
Some caveats to keep in mind for the vegans:

Pesto is usually made with cheese
Some pasta contains egg
Current foster kittens: Friday (F: green collar), Duffy (M: blue), Fez (M: orange), Kipling (M: pink), Thirteen (F: yellow).

audrey1962

« Reply #24 on: September 11, 2012, 08:31:13 PM »
I have a great vegan pesto recipe if you're interested.

mbbored

• Super Hero!
    • Budget Grad Student
« Reply #25 on: September 11, 2012, 08:36:20 PM »

I love to try it! I've got one myself, but I've found I can never have enough vegan recipes.

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #26 on: September 12, 2012, 01:36:23 AM »
I third that :)
My Photography Gallery
http://www.ctartisticphotos.com/

audrey1962

« Reply #27 on: September 12, 2012, 09:07:36 AM »
Version 1

Poor Man's Pesto Sauce
3 cups loosly packed fresh basil
6 T pine nuts
2-4 large cloves of grlic
3/4 teas. coarse salt, or to taste
6 T fruity extra-virgin olive oil

Combine the basil, pine nuts, garlic, and salt in a food processor fitted with a metal blade or in a blender. Process or blend until the ingredients are finely chopped, scraping down the sides of the work bowl as necessary. Add the oil and process until smooth and creamy. If not using immediately, store tightly covered in the refrigerator for up to 2 days, or place in ice cube trays, cover tightly with plastic wrap, and store in the freezer no longer than 1 month for the best flavor.

Tip: Because pesto freezes well, you might want to make more, if you have lots of basil on hand. For every extra cup of loosely packed basil leaves, add the following to the recipe: 2 T pine nuts, 1 clove garlic (or to taste), 1/4 teas. coarse salt (or to taste), and 2 T olive oil.

—Donna Klein (From The Mediterranean Vegan Kitchen)

sweetonsno

« Reply #29 on: September 12, 2012, 04:30:18 PM »
Some caveats to keep in mind for the vegans:

Pesto is usually made with cheese
Some pasta contains egg

Additional caveats for the vegetarians: many commercial sauces are flavored with meat (check the label) and lots of cheeses contain animal rennet, which isn't vegetarian (for instance, real parmesan cheese is always non-vegetarian). The tricky thing with cheese is that it isn't always labeled as vegetarian or non-vegetarian. (Often, you just see "enzymes," which doesn't tell you much.)

http://cheese.joyousliving.com is a great resource for finding vegetarian cheeses. It includes lists by brand and lists by type. For instance, Kraft is pretty much all non-vegetarian, but Tillamook usually is (with the exception of their aged white cheddars).

Dried semolina pasta is usually vegetarian-friendly.

And Audrey, that pesto looks great!