Author Topic: Ratting out your coworker  (Read 2528 times)

VltGrantham

Ratting out your coworker
« on: September 11, 2012, 10:00:49 AM »
I posted a long time ago about issues I had with my coworkers wanting to hang out in my office for long periods of time here - http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=113849.msg2647934#msg2647934.

I followed everyone's suggestions and they seemed to work pretty well with Diane, but David is still oblivious.  He has moments of clarity but they are few and far between and usually arise only from when I've talked to him, yet again, about staying out of my office.  I've talked to my boss about this several times and he always promises to take care of it, but rarely does.

The final straw came week before last when, 30 seconds after I had just told David I had a deadline and needed quiet/not to be disturbed and he came into my office with an "urgent" printing request that turned out to be a compilation of his personal CD collection.  If I had known that before printing the document, I'd have probably blown a gasket.  As it was, I sent him on his way to get him out of my hair.

At my earliest convenience I told him that his behavior was completely out of line that day.  He was fine...for a day.  Then two days later he came in and unplugged my speakers to plug in his MP3 player so that I could listen to a song he loved.  I told him I wasn't interested in listening and to get out of my office none too politely.

Last night we had a board meeting which I am required to attend but David does not.  During the meeting, several of the board members mentioned that things were going awry--items which are on David's list of duties.  Also complicating matters are the facts that David is now receiving several personal phone calls per day and visitors--which I am fielding and the fact that every time I have gone to look for him I have found him in a classroom chatting with a group of teachers and other leaders--not actually doing his job.

After the meeting, I told my boss I needed 3 minutes of his time and briefly outlined all the issues I have been dealing with in regard to David.  He was shocked, which stuns me since I've mentioned the problems many times before.  He told me that I should have spoken up at the meeting--which I don't think was at all appropriate.  He said that he would take care of the issue when he returns from a business trip in a week.

My issue is, if he doesn't take care of it, should I remind him and offer to approach the personnel committee myself?  Or should I just approach the personnel committee?  I can't take much more of David's behavior.  It really is appalling and I'm afraid I'm going to blow a gasket if something isn't done about it soon.

JenJay

• I'm a nonconformist who doesn't conform to the prevailing standards of nonconformity.
  • Super Hero!
Re: Ratting out your coworker
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2012, 10:29:16 AM »
I'd wait a couple of days after your boss gets back and give him a chance to handle it. If he doesn't I'd email him, something like "Per our conversation on Date, I would like to discuss the ongoing issues with David and how to resolve them." Then briefly reiterate the other times you emailed him, the issues and what you've been doing to redirect David. End it by mentioning you feel it may be time to approach the personnel committee. Hopefully he'll step up but if not you've got documentation that you tried, repeatedly.

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2012, 10:48:55 AM »
You are not ratting out a coworker - you are revealing that job duties are in need of being covered and other workers are being distracted by his "socializing" at work, to the detriment of everyone's work load.

I'd say remind your boss when he gets back.

If it hasn't been addressed (or you don't see any changes in a week after your boss gets back and does talk to him) - is there any member of the board that might be primed to ask you a general question that would cause this to come up in the next meeting?  Not to put any pressure on the boss - but some people just hate to step up and come down on someone because they want to be "nice" - and they need to be reminded that they aren't there to be "nice" - they are there to be the boss and keep things running smoothly.

And David is putting a lot of bumps in every process he touches - or fails to touch, as the case may be.
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

Mikayla

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2012, 06:35:32 PM »
The only mistake I can see that you might have made was telling the boss you needed "3 minutes of his time".  This is a major issue, and it minimizes the importance when you word it that way. 

I think you need to summarize all the specifics (your two OPs are about 90 percent of the job!) and then, when boss gets back, tell him you've put it in writing, and suggest that he read it and then the 2 of you go over it.

If he drags his feet, it's impossible to guess what to do next, because each office has its own chain of command, especially when there's a board involved.  But I think you need to remind him that not only is this interfering with your ability to perform your job, it's now having negative results beyond you. 

I'd also do up a separate version of this summary where you write in any convos you had with your boss about any of this.  His actions indicate he might be a PA type who could throw you under the bus if it comes to that, especially that comment that you should have spoken up at the board meeting.