Author Topic: Cash bar and invitations  (Read 7152 times)

audrey1962

Re: Cash bar and invitations
« Reply #30 on: October 05, 2012, 01:50:09 PM »
I would go with, "appetizers and drinks will be served. Additional food and drink available for purchase. Valet parking $6."

I'm sorry for your loss.

kareng57

• Super Hero!
« Reply #31 on: October 05, 2012, 03:16:36 PM »
This may not be a popular opinion, but - typically, if you are hosting, you either serve alcohol or you don't.  Cash bars are a no-no.  Now, a memorial is a different thing from a wedding or cocktail party, but you may want to consider one of the two following options. Either a) serve only soft, with no bar in the room - anyone who wants to wander over to the hotel bar may do so - or b) pony up for softs, beer and wine. I wouldn't have a full bar in the room if guests are expected to buy drinks - I wouldn't expect to pay for anything at a memorial service (valet service is an exception - that's out of your control).

It could be completely out of the hosts' hands, though.  While I realize that a funeral reception and a wedding reception are not at all the same thing - the facility where DS and his fiancee are thinking of having their wedding stipulates that in the absence of a hosted bar, the facility reserves the right to set up their own cash bar in the room.  (This facility does have several very large rooms, probably none small enough for a funeral reception, but it might still be a common practice among hospitality-providers for any kind of event).

So, even if the hosts want to provide just punch and soft drinks (perfectly acceptable), the restaurant might put a cash bar in the room anyway - and of course people will always remember that Mary and Mark "had a cash bar at their wedding".

bopper

• Super Hero!
« Reply #32 on: October 10, 2012, 02:05:38 PM »
And if anyone at the reception asks about alcohol, just say "We are providing soda and juice here, if there is anything else you want you can purchase something at the restaurant bar."

Mikayla

« Reply #33 on: October 17, 2012, 11:30:57 PM »
I think that as long as you have beverages available - soda, punch, water, etc. - there is no need to even mention the bar.  People will figure it out, if they want a drink.

I wouldn't even worry about mentioning that the hors d'oevres will be vegetarian/pescatarian.  Again, people will figure it out and eat those items that appeal to them, avoid those that don't.

I would mention the valet parking, though, since some may want to avail themselves of that option.

I'll give it a go:

Please join us from 5:00 to 7:00 pm at X location for a celebration of Mom's life.  Light refreshments will be served.  Valet parking is available, if you wish, at a cost of $6.

I'm sorry for your loss.

I've read through to the end, and this is still what I like best.

Magzilla, I too am sorry for your loss.  I lost my mom in college and it's really hard.  I think what you're doing sounds lovely, and I also don't think there are any hard and fast rules about what needs to be stated in the invites. 

"Light refreshments" perfectly explains what you're serving, and I don't think people need prior notice that a cash bar also happens to be available. 

ACBNYC

« Reply #34 on: October 24, 2012, 10:15:27 PM »
I like what Outdoor Girl and jpcher suggested. People will figure out that they can purchase drinks at the bar pretty easily.

I'm very sorry for the loss of your mom. I lost my mom early last month and it's really hard, but I trust those who have told me it gets easier with time. Many hugs to you and your family.