Author Topic: The employee from hell and how to get rid of him *update post 21*  (Read 10981 times)

whatsanenigma

Re: The employee from hell and how to get rid of him
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2012, 09:51:09 PM »
On top of all this, Sam's work has been pretty bad. He takes fewer assignments than any staff member, consistently turns in incomplete work, and what is turned in is poor quality and barely usable.

You have been given lots of good advice so far, but I am wondering if the bolded above might be your way out of this.

Because it seems to me, even if you found the magic wand to wave that would magically make him have a perfect work ethic and always do exactly what he is supposed to, in terms of responding to emails and such, it wouldn't solve the problem.  Because apparently, he's not very good at actually taking pictures.

So, I am wondering, is there possibly a way to have him reassigned to another type of job? One where he will be held more directly accountable, or that he will just be better at doing, or more motivated to do?

That could be how you could focus a conversation with your higher ups, by saying that this job might not be a good fit for him on any level and is there something else he could try.

weeblewobble

« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2012, 05:31:26 AM »
Would it be possible to just stop sending him assignments?

Lexophile

« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2012, 03:15:39 PM »
Well the next day, my boss emails me because Sam stood up a client for a scheduled appointment. I don't know what his excuse could have been because Sam scheduled the appointment himself!

Next time he stands up a client and your boss emails you to find out why, say that this has become status quo for Sam and if they (the bosses) don't want to do anything about it, this will continue to happen because you've done everything you can to try and get this guy in line.
"Submission to what people call their 'lot' is simply ignoble. If your lot makes you cry and be wretched, get rid of it and take another." - Elizabeth von Arnim

Virg

• Super Hero!
« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2012, 04:03:00 PM »
Firstly, the failure to respond to email is a red herring, so you should drop it entirely from your complaint to your bosses.  You should also not take any advice that involves ignoring your boss's suggestion to text him about emails.  Sure, it's hand-holding, but your boss told you to do it so ignoring it won't make your case stronger.  Set up any email that goes to him to send an email also to the portal that sends text messages to his phone, and that'll take care of your boss's suggestion because any email you send will trigger a text to his phone so he'll know to read the email.

Next, you'll have to document what's bad about his work, and use that as the key to getting him gone.  Hoow he responds isn't going to make your bosses fire him, pointing out shoddy, incomplete or nonexistent work will.  Mentioning that he stood up a client works too.  Play down the lack of contact and play up the bad job he does when you do get hold of him, and he'll be gone soon enough.

Virg

MissRose

« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2012, 04:23:30 PM »
He is truly committing professional darwinism.  Some areas it is hard to let people go but document every communication and copy people on it too.  Gradually cut back his work too.  Someone should sit him down, and explain what he is doing with poor quality of work + lack of response, and say "Sam, your quality of work is not up to par, also you fail to respond to any emails which are a required part of the job.  You have X time to either get things up to par, or we will have to take steps to let you go.  Also, if we let you go, we will not be a reference to you for any jobs.  Have we made ourselves clear?" Also, he should sign something acknowledging the need to respond to ALL emails and get work to acceptable quality, and if he slips up, he is sacked.

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2012, 04:35:42 PM »
Firstly, the failure to respond to email is a red herring, so you should drop it entirely from your complaint to your bosses.  You should also not take any advice that involves ignoring your boss's suggestion to text him about emails.  Sure, it's hand-holding, but your boss told you to do it so ignoring it won't make your case stronger.  Set up any email that goes to him to send an email also to the portal that sends text messages to his phone, and that'll take care of your boss's suggestion because any email you send will trigger a text to his phone so he'll know to read the email.

Next, you'll have to document what's bad about his work, and use that as the key to getting him gone.  Hoow he responds isn't going to make your bosses fire him, pointing out shoddy, incomplete or nonexistent work will.  Mentioning that he stood up a client works too.  Play down the lack of contact and play up the bad job he does when you do get hold of him, and he'll be gone soon enough.

Virg

POD to this.  And instead of texting him the entire content of the email, text him that he has an email to read and respond to within 24 hours.  Do this until you get rid of him. 

Sorry your going through this but you'l find out in your career there will always be the employee that requires hand holding and babysitting. 

kitchcat

• Flickr
« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2012, 01:14:33 PM »
OP back with an update.

A couple days after posting this thread, I emailed my bosses with a detailed list of issues with Sam and stated that I did not feel I could continue working with him in the current situation. My bosses responded and we had a meeting to further discuss the issues. They decided on the following action plan:
  • Have a meeting with Sam the following day under the guise of a "just checking to see how everything is going" to reiterate what was expected of him and make sure there was no confusion.
  • Monitor his performance closely for the next two weeks for improvement
  • If there is no improvement, make the formal step to firing him. This includes drafting a formal list of issues and expectations, having Sam sign them, and if he violates any of these rules, he gets fired.

So, we had our meeting with Sam, which he was very blasé about. It was really obvious he did not want to be there and didn't answer our questions with anything more than a "yeah." We gave him a few tasks to complete by the following week, and I emailed him these tasks as well.

Well, the following night is our weekly staff meeting where I give out assignments to the photographers. Five minutes before the meeting, Sam texts me to say he can't make it to the meeting. Why? He had a fight with his girlfriend and "needs some alone time."  :o My bosses and I were both speechless. Seriously? This isn't an optional meeting. This is part of his JOB. I responded that missing the meeting was unacceptable. He never responded.

His deadline for the tasks I gave him is tomorrow and he has not turned in a single thing so far. He's not generated any new work since our meeting. So there has been no improvement, but at least my bosses and I are on the same page now about getting rid of him.
Quote from: magician5
Quote from: Kinseyanne
In the bag was two cans of kitten formula

So now ... just add water and you get kittens? What will they think of next??

HonorH

Re: The employee from hell and how to get rid of him *update post 21*
« Reply #22 on: September 20, 2012, 01:24:07 PM »
Update: WOW! To think this idiot has a job and I've been looking for work for a year and a half. I'm telling you, it crisps my booties! Does he not realize just how bad the job market is? And that behaving like this can follow him for years? I don't feel bad for him at all.
William wondered why he always disliked people who said "no offense meant." Maybe it was because they found it easier to say "no offense meant" than actually to refrain from giving offense.

--Terry Pratchett, The Truth

Queen of Clubs

« Reply #23 on: September 20, 2012, 03:43:59 PM »
I'm glad your bosses are now on the same page as regards firing him.  He couldn't have made it more plain he doesn't care about his job (or doesn't get that he can be fired!) if he'd hired a plane to skywrite it for him.

Danika

• I'm not speeding. I'm qualifying.
« Reply #24 on: September 20, 2012, 06:50:48 PM »
That's a good update. I'm glad Sam didn't put in minimal effort, just enough for the bosses to say "he's improving" and then you'd be stuck working with him for another month until the issues happened again. This way, it's over and done with.

still in va

• used to be gjcva1
« Reply #25 on: September 20, 2012, 09:29:15 PM »
sounds like a win-win to me.  kitchcat doesn't have to deal with Sam's attitude towards work (or lack of same) anymore, and Sam will get plenty of alone time.

kitchcat, this is a complete and total SCORE for you.  that's great!

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #26 on: September 24, 2012, 02:01:53 PM »
Update: WOW! To think this idiot has a job and I've been looking for work for a year and a half. I'm telling you, it crisps my booties! Does he not realize just how bad the job market is? And that behaving like this can follow him for years? I don't feel bad for him at all.

Some people think that "student" jobs just don't count when it comes to resume history. They learn the hard way when the boss gets a call and says, "We had to let him go because he was consistantly late on deadlines, stood up clients and produced shoddy work."

I had a student job in library school. I did well enough that I was invited to come back for another school year, despite only auditing classes, and I got a stellar recommendation from my boss that helped me get my current job.
If wisdom’s ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls

Brockwest

« Reply #27 on: September 24, 2012, 02:20:16 PM »
If you were the only supervisor, my advise would be to start a paper trail of documentation of errors made.
I agree with the post to text him that an e-mail was sent...it satifies your bosses statement, but still creates a papertrail. On each e-mail give a "respond by date."

Each time he commits an error, document it in writing with a request to him, in writing, to explain himself.
When he doesn't respond to the request, document that failure also, then request him to respond why he didn't respond.
Death by a million cuts.

This is important in job situations, as an employer is required to have evidence to show unemployment or the union that there was a paper trail.

That being said, I'm quite concerned that your supervisors are properly concerned. I noted the college aspect, and am also wondering if they are students.  It doesn't make sense that they are not concerned.

You should Copy your supervisors on each e-mail.

Once there are enough documented failures, then you can force a Plan of Action that he must sign, that lists the areas in which he is deficient, and that he has X amount of time to correct the errors or he faces dismissal.

Document each new failure, with the statement that he is not following the Plan of Action.

Be careful, without your supervisors full support, you are potentially putting yourself in jeopary, especially if he has the ability to cry discrimination. 

If you have the ability to use only the other workers, and assign work to only them, that is good for you. I fear it's what he wants...to get paid without being assigned work. You need to look out for yourself.

ShadowLady

• My mind is like a steel trap-illegal in 13 states.
« Reply #28 on: September 24, 2012, 03:27:35 PM »
Wow!  I wish I could use that as an excuse to miss work.  I'd fight with my husband all the time.   ;)