Author Topic: First Date Popcorn Hoarding? What do you think? more info 16 update pg 8, 10  (Read 49061 times)

greencat

Re: First Date Popcorn Hoarding? What do you think? more info 16 update pg 8, 10
« Reply #210 on: September 17, 2012, 11:08:38 PM »
Also chiming in with "Don't be scared to date!"  My current squeeze is appreciate of me being a little zaftig at the moment.  I wish he could have a talk with my favorite pair of jeans though...

My last ex also, despite the comment about my weight, never actually made comments about my eating.  The one ex that did try to control my eating was bulimic - although his control issues were about content rather than quantity, as he was a near-vegan and he kept trying to force me to stop eating meat.

Raintree

• Super Hero!
Re: First Date Popcorn Hoarding? What do you think? more info 16 update pg 8, 10
« Reply #211 on: September 18, 2012, 01:27:36 AM »
What a guy, to get ants in his pants over a *side.* Or popcorn, for that matter. That terrible 100 calories will surely do in any woman's svelte figure!  ::)

Well....at the risk of thread-jacking, we're not talking 100 extra calories here. I recall reading some years back that a large serving of movie theatre popcorn was worse than downing two Big Macs and a large fries and a shake, or something like that (I didn't remember the exact stats, but I remember some amazing comparisons with McDonalds). That is because it is popped in oil, not in air like the stuff you might make at home. Add the buttery topping and you have a heart attack in a bag.

Google "movie theatre popcorn" and you get articles like this:

http://www.webmd.com/food-recipes/news/20091119/movie-theater-popcorn-a-calorie-bomb

and this:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/health/story/2009/11/19/popcorn-movie-theatre-salt-fat.html

"A large untopped popcorn has 1,120 calories...."

Disclaimer: I am NOT defending the popcorn hoarder!!! Not in any way, shape or form. I enjoy the occasional movie popcorn myself, and although I have never been to Nando's, if I went there starving after a workout I am sure I would order whatever I thought it would take to satisfy my hunger!!

Tigger

• Always having fun
  • Life is hard. After all, it kills you - K Hepburn
« Reply #212 on: September 18, 2012, 11:43:11 AM »
I am a mother of a son.  I am trying to teach him to eat healthy, exercise and have treats in moderation.  I will also be teaching him how to treat a women properly and not like a piece of meat he owns.  Come to think of it, he will also learn by example from my DH.

My DH HATES and I mean HATES exercise.  He sees it as a form of torture.  Yet he's 5"9" and 160 pounds.  Why???? He knows he will not exercise so he watches what he eats.  Don't get me wrong he's not a sloth  ;)  He loves to take DS hiking and out for walks. We go to the park almost everyday.  But if I were to say to him let's go for a jog he would turn green  ;D

It's a rare person that can eat anything and never gain weight. 

Ontario

NyaChan

« Reply #213 on: September 18, 2012, 11:50:14 AM »
So, I'd never heard of Nandos and looked it up - very cool website & the food looks so yummy.  Wonder if we'll ever get one here...

Snooks

« Reply #214 on: September 18, 2012, 01:44:55 PM »
So, I'd never heard of Nandos and looked it up - very cool website & the food looks so yummy.  Wonder if we'll ever get one here...

I think it's quite a common first date restaurant, I've certainly sat next to people who sounded like they were on a(n unsuccessful) first date.  I was thinking Mr Picky wouldn't have liked me because I don't like their chicken quarters, which is what I suspect he wanted her to order, so I normally get one of their pitas plus their yummy rice (and eat some of DH's spicy fries).

Danika

• I'm not speeding. I'm qualifying.
« Reply #215 on: September 18, 2012, 02:24:31 PM »

POD. The website is very very cool looking. I design websites for a living. However, I couldn't find any restaurant locations! So it's not too helpful or easy to use. But it sure is cool looking.

greencat

« Reply #216 on: September 18, 2012, 02:58:45 PM »
I had to click through several sub-pages to find a page that tells me there's only one U.S. location?  Except then I have to click through to another website and that site tells me that there are several locations, but all of them are in the Washington, D.C. area.

shygirl

« Reply #217 on: September 18, 2012, 03:06:14 PM »
There's in Maryland in some shopping center called The Rio (?).  Not exactly sure if that's the name of the shopping center.

The first time I had Nando's was when we went to Zimbabwe to visit my husband's family.  It was really, really good! 

ETA:  I found the place  http://www.washingtoniancenter.com/dining.cfm?id=5
« Last Edit: September 18, 2012, 03:10:00 PM by shygirl »

Virg

• Super Hero!
« Reply #218 on: September 18, 2012, 03:21:21 PM »
My cat is a ninja wrote:

"I'm home alone tonight, I'm eating way more than one piece of popcorn! I may squeeze in an extra cupcake in his honor, though."

It's OK, you can always run it off later.

(dives for cover)

Virg

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #219 on: September 18, 2012, 03:48:01 PM »
My MIL visited today and not only brought MickeyD's, she also brought a dozen donuts from Dunkin Donuts.  HAH!!  >:D
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #220 on: September 18, 2012, 03:56:47 PM »
The one I go to is in Bethesda, next to the Elm St Garage. The Rio is further north in Gaithersburg if I remember correctly.

In the fall and winter they have a yummy roasted squash and cranberry side. 

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #221 on: September 19, 2012, 10:38:23 AM »
The one I go to is in Bethesda, next to the Elm St Garage. The Rio is further north in Gaithersburg if I remember correctly.

In the fall and winter they have a yummy roasted squash and cranberry side.

It is; I have cousins in Germantown and near the Shady Grove metro, and we go there all the time.  To the center, nevr been to Nando's

Corvid

• Etiquette Hell Thread Assassin Squad
« Reply #222 on: September 21, 2012, 07:41:03 AM »
This is my BIL.  He weighs, literally, 500lbs or more and is of average looks.  He refuses to even consider a woman who is not supermodel beautiful and considers it 'lowering his standards' - he posts long FB rants about how he won't 'settle' for just anyone and if that means he'll be alone forever, then that's ok with him. (except he whines, so no it's not).  He also has the charming habit of posting nasty jokes about women he sees on dating sites.  Not specific women, but he'll pos a picture of an ugly animal and say,'Most of the women on <dating site> look like this!!!!!'.  Charming.  He also gripes a lot about 'SIFs' - Secret Internet Fatties.  He asserts that most women post overly flattering photos, and are all really extremely obese and unattractive.

Is it any wonder he can't get a date?

Please tell me he's not also one of those self-described "Nice Guys" who complain that women aren't interested in him because they only go for jerks.

Hillia

« Reply #223 on: September 21, 2012, 12:14:37 PM »
Oh yeah, he is. And as someone pointed out upthread, all women are shallow because they won't look past his exterior.  Any that do are only after his money. (he doesn't have any).

He's currenly moaning on facebook about how hard it is to be a romantic and wear his heart on his sleeve, only to have it broken over and over.  He developed a mad crush on a cute young (nearly 15 years his junior) college student, very slim and attractive, and she's now the love of his life and it breaks his heart every time she doesn't return a text, etc.  For the record she seems perfectly nice and friendly, just not interested in him romantically.  And since he just moved back home with his parents, 1500 miles from where she lives...yeah, that one's kinda doomed.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Danika

• I'm not speeding. I'm qualifying.
« Reply #224 on: September 21, 2012, 03:26:05 PM »
Please tell me he's not also one of those self-described "Nice Guys" who complain that women aren't interested in him because they only go for jerks.

^^^ YES! The theme song of most of the emotionally abusive and manipulative men I've dated!