Author Topic: Job Hunting Tips for new state? UDATE - new question  (Read 937 times)

heathert

Job Hunting Tips for new state? UDATE - new question
« on: September 13, 2012, 02:19:00 PM »
My DH and I moved from Ohio to West Virginia to help out his parents and I knew going in that it would be hard to find a job here but I am really having a hard time considering it is a financially depressed area.

Does anyone have suggestions for this other than the ususal of going to the job websites? The nearest city is Charleston, but we live out in the country, which is most of the people my in-laws know.  I tried sales, but I am just not a natural salesperson, apparently.

Thanks for any help you might have for me.  :)

UPDATE:  I have two interviews tomorrow! Any tips anyone can share with me before the interviews?
« Last Edit: September 17, 2012, 10:23:21 AM by heathert »

bopper

• Super Hero!
Re: Job Hunting Tips for new state?
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2012, 10:48:30 AM »
Too late now but maybe you should have moved his parents to you?

Where will your husband be working? Can he find out if their are opportunities there?

ALso use your inlaw's network....have them put out the word for you.

What type of work have you done in the past?

LadyJaneinMD

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2012, 10:52:22 AM »
Get yourself to the nearest library and find out what's available there, for resources.   If there is a local paper, sign up for it Right Away.  Check out craigslist.com (very cautiously).   It's probably too late for the local county/town fair, but find out what local happenings are going on (that paper again!), and check them out.   You want to MEET people, get to know your neighbors.  Join a club that interests you.  Get involved in something on the local level, another way to meet people.
It'll take time, but the Internet makes it easier.

JoyinVirginia

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2012, 09:09:29 AM »
Agree with checking out local weekly paper, nearest big town daily paper, going to a local church, library, county parks and recreation activities, things like that. Network! Even in the country the more people you meet, the more personal connections you have, the better the chance of heating about openings of interest.