Author Topic: "Open House" Interviews  (Read 2357 times)

CocoCamm

• Leader of the 3 ring circus
"Open House" Interviews
« on: September 14, 2012, 03:13:04 PM »
Oh wise Ehellions I was hoping you might be able to give me some pointers regarding an open house interview.

BG: I applied for a marketing position within Equity First Financial (I'm specifically mentioning the name b/c my google search hasn't come up with anything other then job posting from them and if its a scam I would love the heads up). Today I get an email back stating that they love my resume, think I would be a great fit, blah, blah, cut and paste, blah and that they want me to come to an "open house" interview.

Now my question is...is there anyway I can politely inquire for 1) a little more info on their company and 2) a personal interview?

I'm not sure if I'm being too nieve and this is definitely some sort of bait and switch or if because I have been duped before (Vector Marketing) I'm being too suspicious. Basically I dont want to waste my time or theirs if this is not going to be a good fit.

Any advice/thoughts would be appreciated :)

~Courtney

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
Re: "Open House" Interviews
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2012, 03:18:19 PM »
Of course there is a way to politely inquire about more information on their company!

"I would like to learn more about your company in order to prepare for the interview. Unfortunately I haven't been able to find the details I'd like on my own. Where is your company headquartered? Is there a corporate website? Who are your customers or clients?"

I wouldn't bother asking for a personal interview. If it's a scam, they won't bother; if they're legit, they won't want to break the policy (if they did, they would have already).

Pippen

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2012, 03:43:09 PM »
Sorry but I think it is a scam. Just my opinion but there is a dearth of information about them and odd things about what you can pull up. I can't think of any well respected brokerage firm that would recruit in such a way. You can still request information but go into it with your eyes open, which it appears you are.

Just a couple of things below you might want to consider...

They didn't meet the industry regs and were struck off

http://www.dfs.ny.gov/banking/ea090112c.htm

They call themselves a different name (First Financial Equity)  in the job ad

http://www.indeed.com/cmp/Equity-First-Financial

artk2002

• Super Hero!
    • The Delian's Commonwealth
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2012, 04:00:58 PM »
Frankly, the fact that they have no web presence other than the job listing is an issue for me. Unfortunately, it's a popular name and it's not clear if all of the various versions are related. Pippen found the NY suspension that I saw. There's one in FLA that has an 'F' rating from the BBB.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain

Pippen

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2012, 04:16:15 PM »
Frankly, the fact that they have no web presence other than the job listing is an issue for me. Unfortunately, it's a popular name and it's not clear if all of the various versions are related. Pippen found the NY suspension that I saw. There's one in FLA that has an 'F' rating from the BBB.

Yeah they seem to be all over the place. I don't know how it works in the US but I am guessing each state can have a company of the same named registered. Here your company name has to be unique across the entire country. It could be that each of the brokers act as independent contractors and all use the same company name to make it look like a big organisation or they are piggy backing off legitimate businesses.

Oh and if you follow the links through from the job ad it goes to the company

http://www.ffec.com/about/

Which has a 'similar' name. I would call them and ask if they are aware of a recruitment drive.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2012, 04:20:34 PM by Pippen »

CocoCamm

• Leader of the 3 ring circus
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2012, 04:23:04 PM »
Thanks everyone for your replies, my hinky meter was was going off but I didn't want to throw away a potentially good opportunity, especially in this economy.

Soooo I guess the question now is; do I even need to respond to the "open house" interview email or just let it go? 

Pippen

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2012, 04:40:12 PM »
Thanks everyone for your replies, my hinky meter was was going off but I didn't want to throw away a potentially good opportunity, especially in this economy.

Soooo I guess the question now is; do I even need to respond to the "open house" interview email or just let it go?

People with more sense than me would let it go but I like to find out as much as I can about these sorts of things so I would play along just so you are better informed on how these things work in the future. If it is a scam you are onto them already and highly unlikely to get sucked in. I've done this before on a number of occasions and the results have been interesting to say the least.

Surianne

• Super Hero!
    • Prince ShimmerShine Moondream's Blogging Adventure
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2012, 05:34:25 PM »

People with more sense than me would let it go but I like to find out as much as I can about these sorts of things so I would play along just so you are better informed on how these things work in the future. If it is a scam you are onto them already and highly unlikely to get sucked in. I've done this before on a number of occasions and the results have been interesting to say the least.

Actually I think that makes a lot of sense.  Find out what their standard party line is, get an idea of the language they use, so you can recognize it again if you come across a scam company.

Of course that could be just me justifying my own curiosity...but I think it might be useful.

Cat-Fu

• My cat is a ninja
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2012, 05:41:29 PM »
I don't know if I would advocate actually going to the interview... unless you are 117% certain that you will have the confidence to get up and walk out as soon as the sketchiness starts, I'd just avoid it completely. A lot of these scammer companies depend on desperation, trusting natures, and a desire to avoid making waves to get their profit. I'd stay clear.
“Poetry is a sword of lightning, ever unsheathed, which consumes the scabbard that would contain it.” PBS

Pippen

« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2012, 06:03:40 PM »

Actually I think that makes a lot of sense.  Find out what their standard party line is, get an idea of the language they use, so you can recognize it again if you come across a scam company.

Of course that could be just me justifying my own curiosity...but I think it might be useful.

Oh and to answer the OP's question on how to respond. Make sure you don't give out personal information about yourself. Without knowing your email address I could assume it includes your name or part there of? If that is all they have at the moment keep it that way. Don't give them any details about your address or a contact number. Email them back a short email along the lines of...

"Thanks for you prompt reply. Could you please provide details of the interview and what I will be expected to bring with me. Also do you have any further information on the role such as a job description or company prospectus. Kind regards"

What they send back or what they request of you will give you a fair bit of insight into what their agenda is. The open group interview is highly suspect and is a good way of indoctrinating people. I can imagine it will involve an enthusiastic presentation of how wonderful they are and the great opportunity it offers and then you will be paired off with one if not 2 current 'employees' who do the hard sell on you.

Chickadee

« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2012, 09:22:23 PM »
OP, beware. I'm job searching too, and I have received several e mails of the type you mention, as well as phone calls (my resume at one point listed my mobile number).

During the first (and last) call I took the man on the phone was very aggressive with his questions. He did not ask for my SSN, but he wanted all kinds of previous work info, including my recent work history. Yet he would provide me with no concrete information about his company. The only question I asked was if the job was in sales, as that was certainly not what I was looking for. He attempted to dance around my question until I told him I would hang up if he did not give me an honest reply.

I terminated the call when I was met with silence.....

RooRoo

• I’m out of my mind. Please leave a message.
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2012, 10:08:09 PM »
The Better Business Bureau gave them an "F" rating - that isn't good. Here's their comment:

According to complaints, the consumers did not think they would be charged until the savings were realized. The consumers were charged as a result of the company merely calculating the potential savings based on information provided by the consumer and a conference call with the creditor.

Even if you did get a job with them (I mean a real one with wages or a salary), it sounds as if that job would be for you to scam people.

Here's the phrase I used to search:

Equity First scam

Oh, and I am suspicious of cattle call open house interviews in general, as they are so often used to sell MLMs.

Good luck in your job search.  :)
"Someday we must write a book of Etiquette for sensible people," said Mrs. Morland, "though apart from a few rules it really boils down to an educated mind and a kind heart." ~ Angela Thirkell, Never Too Late

O'Dell

« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2012, 10:50:19 PM »
Do you have a LinkedIn account?  www.linkedin.com/pub/equity-first-financial/55/982/a66 (The CEO has 3 connections?  ???)

This is the website I come up with: http://equityff.com

Don't waste your time.

Do I contradict myself? Very well, then I contradict myself, I am large, I contain multitudes.
Walt Whitman

GeauxTigers

• Runs with scissors
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2012, 01:47:22 PM »
Continuing on with the BBB information, we have this:

Business Category

Credit Repair Services - Advance Fee, Credit & Debt Counseling

Products & Services

According to information obtained by the BBB, this company promises to save you a minimum of $2500 dollars by reducing your interest rates on your credit cards or mortgage restructuring . The company charges and advance fee for membership of up to $1000 for its services.

Alternate Business Names
The Finance Dept., Your Debt Solutions

My advice: steer well clear of this outfit.