Author Topic: Funny Musical Theater (or Maybe Historical) Special Snowflake...  (Read 2031 times)

Lillie82

Funny Musical Theater (or Maybe Historical) Special Snowflake...
« on: September 15, 2012, 10:25:23 PM »
Not sure how historically accurate this is, but in the musical Evita, Eva Peron, while touring Europe, receives an invitation to have tea with the King of England...and is so offended she throws a fit.

Why?

Because she was invited to one of the lesser castles (she describes it as "some tinpot castle of his") and...ARGENTINA'S FIRST LADY DESERVES BUCKINGHAM PALACE!!![/size]

"If England can do without me, Argentina can do without England!"

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
Re: Funny Musical Theater (or Maybe Historical) Special Snowflake...
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2012, 01:15:12 AM »
Haha!  I love musicals, but unfortunately have not seen any version of Evita  :-[.  Apparently, the King is not enough for her.
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

scotcat60

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2012, 11:32:06 AM »
i have just read a book by John Barnes about Eva Peron. Apparently, when Eva was planning her Rainbow Tour to Europe, the Argentinians let it be known that she would like to visit England. The Prime Minister, Clement Attlee agreed to this, and Evita was invited to tea with Mrs Attlee. However, she expected to stay in Buckingham  Palace with the King and Queen, which the British government said was not appropriate, as it was not a state visit. Also, stories of Evita's past had circulated, and certain politicians queried whether a lady of such morals should be allowed to stay at the Palace. The British Press said that as she was the wife of a dictator, it would be innapropriate, and also claimed that her "party trick" was giving the Fascist salute.

In the event, Evita went to Switzerland instead, where her car was pelted with tomatoes, to Italy where there was a riot outside the Embassy where she was staying between the Communists and Fascists, to the Vatican. hwere she did not receive the award/ decoration that she had hoped, to Spain where she was a great success, and to France, where she drooped in the heat, but kept the models at a fashion house waiting for her to arrive before announcing she did not wish to see the clothes. It would seem the tour was only a qualified success.

Wench

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2012, 12:19:08 PM »
I always thought Eva Person didn't visit Britain because of the issues surrounding the Falklands Islands.....  Admittedly I made this conclusion up after watching Evita in the cinema.

o_gal

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2012, 02:47:09 PM »
i have just read a book by John Barnes about Eva Peron. Apparently, when Eva was planning her Rainbow Tour to Europe, the Argentinians let it be known that she would like to visit England. The Prime Minister, Clement Attlee agreed to this, and Evita was invited to tea with Mrs Attlee. However, she expected to stay in Buckingham  Palace with the King and Queen, which the British government said was not appropriate, as it was not a state visit. Also, stories of Evita's past had circulated, and certain politicians queried whether a lady of such morals should be allowed to stay at the Palace. The British Press said that as she was the wife of a dictator, it would be innapropriate, and also claimed that her "party trick" was giving the Fascist salute.

In the event, Evita went to Switzerland instead, where her car was pelted with tomatoes, to Italy where there was a riot outside the Embassy where she was staying between the Communists and Fascists, to the Vatican. hwere she did not receive the award/ decoration that she had hoped, to Spain where she was a great success, and to France, where she drooped in the heat, but kept the models at a fashion house waiting for her to arrive before announcing she did not wish to see the clothes. It would seem the tour was only a qualified success.

The Rainbow Tour lyrics: http://www.lyricsondemand.com/soundtracks/e/evitalyrics/rainbowtourlyrics.html

scotcat60

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2012, 12:25:38 PM »
I always thought Eva Person didn't visit Britain because of the issues surrounding the Falklands Islands.....  Admittedly I made this conclusion up after watching Evita in the cinema.

John Barnes doesn't mention the Falklands. Apparently the UK were quite keen at first to see her, because the Argnetine provided  the UK with lots of beef, but then the whole thing about her past etc. blew up, and she did not come.

Re: the Rainbow Tour lyrics: Evita did get a rosary from the Pope, but she also got a decoration, just not the one for which she had hoped.