Author Topic: Mommy, where do kittens come from?  (Read 763 times)

Jocelyn

Mommy, where do kittens come from?
« on: September 16, 2012, 04:51:18 PM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CaSpFPrWyxU

It's a very nice film about Sparta, who comes to get her people (and their camera) to keep her company while the kittens are arriving. Nice editing...the kittens just sort of appear in Sparta's bed. The film covers the first month of the kittens' lives, ending with a trip outdoors.
I know a lot of you have kids, and this is something you could share with kitten-lovers of all ages.

Pippen

Re: Mommy, where do kittens come from?
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2012, 04:59:43 PM »
When I was about 3 our cat Miss Pussy had kittens in my bed. I woke Mum and Dad up about 3am to tell them. Mum was not well pleased.

Jocelyn

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2012, 05:07:40 PM »
 If it had been me, I'd've been upset that you hadn't waked me up in time to see the whole show. Cats who WANT people with them while they're having kittens are so rare, it's hard to imagine being anything but thrilled. I've always wanted to foster a pregnant queen...but alas, I've proven to myself that I cannot foster, it's only a fancy term for 'adopt', so that dream will have to go unfulfilled. Maybe someday I will get a chance to catsit a pregnant cat while her family are temporarily out of town, and she'll oblige me by having the kittens on my watch...but then I can run away quickly before I succumb and adopt the whole litter. ::)

greencat

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2012, 05:29:03 PM »
My parents' home is at the end of a dead end street, and when and where I grew up, it was not common to spay and neuter, and the solution for suddenly pregnant cats was to drop them off at the end of a dead end street.  I've had cats have kittens in my closet, behind my bed, under my bed, in every single one of my dresser drawers, and on my bed.  I was in it it for one or two of the on-my-bed ones.  I had one have kittens literally under my feet as I was writing an essay for school - I was probably 13 at the time. That one not only wanted me there with my feet where she could touch them, she wanted her brother in the box with her.  He helped her deliver and raise the kittens :)

Pippen

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2012, 05:36:52 PM »
If it had been me, I'd've been upset that you hadn't waked me up in time to see the whole show. Cats who WANT people with them while they're having kittens are so rare, it's hard to imagine being anything but thrilled. I've always wanted to foster a pregnant queen...but alas, I've proven to myself that I cannot foster, it's only a fancy term for 'adopt', so that dream will have to go unfulfilled. Maybe someday I will get a chance to catsit a pregnant cat while her family are temporarily out of town, and she'll oblige me by having the kittens on my watch...but then I can run away quickly before I succumb and adopt the whole litter. ::)

This one was a kitten factory. She was half feral but would always make a nest in my room somewhere to have her kittens so have seen loads of them being born. It's quite fascinating.

BB-VA

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2012, 08:14:01 PM »
Both my brother-in-law and one of my cousins actually had litters in their laps.  I guess the mama cats were the clingy kind.
"The Universe puts us in places where we can learn. They are never easy places, but they are right. Wherever we are, it's the right place and the right time. Pain that sometimes comes is part of the process of constantly being born."
- Delenn to Sheridan: "Babylon 5 - Distant Star"

Reader

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2012, 01:29:46 PM »
My cat Delilah is one of the rare ones.  Both times she got out before I could get her into the vet to get fixed  :-\, so we had to delay her fixing after 2 litters.  Both litters she refused to stay in the area I had fixed up in my closet for her unless I sat with her.  Her last litter she met me while in labor at the door when I got off from work at 5 the poor thing.