Author Topic: Party Parking - When metered is the only thing available  (Read 2648 times)

CluelessBride

Party Parking - When metered is the only thing available
« on: September 16, 2012, 08:55:16 PM »
I'm hosting an event for a friend in a few months.  Because she has requested a rather large invite list, it's unfortunately not possible to host in my home.  After many hours and tons of phone calls, I've finally found a place within budget.

The only problem is parking.  It's in the downtown area of a city and the only available parking is metered.  Is this okay?  Should I warn the guests or is it on them to figure it out?  I'm not really sure what the meter rates are, only that its metered, but I could probably find out.  But it will probably be no more than $1 for the entire event.

What's the etiquette of providing parking for a hosted event at a venue not your home?  Does it change if it's a gift giving occasion?

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
Re: Party Parking - When metered is the only thing available
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2012, 08:59:44 PM »
I don't think you have to worry about the parking.  It might be a good idea to warn people that there is only metered parking available.  It might encourage the guests to car pool.

Something that I've done in the past is arrange a meeting point with free parking where people can then car pool to minimize what they have to spend.  But if it's only a couple of dollars, I wouldn't worry about that at all.  When I did it, it was for parking that was $20 a car.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

demarco

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2012, 09:03:49 PM »
I think it would be a kindness to include information about parking along with the invitation, on a separate sheet, perhaps.  Someone unfamiliar with the area might otherwise circle around looking for another option.

Bramble

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2012, 09:10:54 PM »
The other concerns with metered parking is the time limits and knowing when/if it switches over to free.  For example if most of the parking is a 2 hour limit, but becomes free after 6pm that's fine for an evening party.  However if its an afternoon party the hassle of having to feed the meter may turn people off from staying longer.

Isometric

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2012, 09:13:39 PM »
I also agree that you're fine, and that's coming from a person who begrudges paying for parking! $1 per person is more than reasonable.

And including that info is a good idea, so people can make sure they have a little change, or organize catching public transport/getting a lift with someone else if they don't agree.

CluelessBride

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2012, 09:19:47 PM »
Phew.  Glad to hear it seems reasonable as I'm running out of options!  I managed to find the rates on the city's website (I don't live near this city, so I'm unfamiliar with the area too), and it looks like it is $0.50 per hour, with no relevant time limit.  It's a 2 hour party, so guests could get away with $1 or $1.50 to be safe. 

I think I'll go ahead and book but include a note with a map showing the location of the nearest lot with respect to the restaurant in the invitation. 

So much stress!

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2012, 10:40:07 AM »
I'd scout out metered parking v. paid parking lots/garages, etc. and just let everyone know, as an FYI.  I know if I don't carry change, so if I ended up having to park on the street, at a meter, and all it took were coins, I'd be SOL!  But letting everyone know allows them to make sure they have change, arrange to carpool etc.

And you're not really "providing" parking; you're hosting, and I'd like to think as its in a downtown area, most people will figure out they might have to pay to park.

LifeOnPluto

• Super Hero!
    • Blog
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2012, 11:29:43 PM »
I definitely don't think you need to pay for people's parking. But as PPs have said, it would be nice to let guests know that metered parking is available. Then, it's up to them to decide whether they want to drive (and pay for parking) or catch public transport or a taxi, etc.

SoCalVal

« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2012, 03:16:26 PM »
I agree it's nice to let guests know.  I recently attended a wedding in our downtown area, and the reception was held in a hall that did not have its own parking (so it was metered parking up until a certain hour or pay to be in a parking garage).  I parked in the garage, and it never occurred to me until now that the HC should've mentioned the parking issue (some guests stayed at one of hotels that was close enough to walk from but that also wasn't mentioned on their wedding website).

O'Dell

« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2012, 05:39:15 PM »
Let guests know what their parking options and pay options are. Not everyone carries change with them. There's no need to pay for parking for guests.
Do I contradict myself? Very well, then I contradict myself, I am large, I contain multitudes.
Walt Whitman

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2012, 09:24:01 AM »
Let guests know what their parking options and pay options are. Not everyone carries change with them. There's no need to pay for parking for guests.

I'd actually be quite pleasantly surprised if the hosts paid for parking!  But a simple heads up as to the parking situation is all that's needed.