Author Topic: Special food for special people  (Read 9732 times)

littlelauraj

• My world
Special food for special people
« on: September 17, 2012, 05:54:34 PM »

I'm not sure about this one, so I'd love to see some responses and get some varied opinions.

Background:  Every fall we throw a big party and invite everyone we know.  It's open house, so guests are coming and going all day.  We usually have around 150-200 people attend.  Even though it's not a potluck, many people bring food, which means we could have 20 or 30 desserts and treats at the party in addition to the various dips and side dishes that guests bring. 

As you can imagine, this is a huge temptation for someone on a restricted diet.  My husband is a diabetic, and he, my daughter, and I are all on a carb-restricted diet.  So is one of our guests, a friend of my daughters' who is also diabetic.  I make a really good low carb, sugar free cheesecake that I am thinking of making for the party so that those of us with restrictions can enjoy ourselves.  Unfortunately, it really is a good cheesecake and most of my friends have had it before and love it.  I am going to make a regular cheesecake, too, but I want a way to make sure the sugar free stuff gets to the people who need it.  Does that make sense?

Unfortunately, I can't think of a polite way to do this.  Knowing me, I'm probably over thinking it.  How rude would it be to put the sugar free cheesecake in the fridge and only serve it to certain people?  Probably pretty rude, but I'd like some input. 

rashea

• Super Hero!
Re: Special food for special people
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2012, 05:57:18 PM »
Why not make two sugar free? I may not be carb restricted, but sugar free doesn't sound like a bad option to me.
"Manners change, principles don't. It's about treating people with consideration, respect and honesty." Peter Post

Vermont

sourwolf

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2012, 06:02:07 PM »
I agree with Rashea, I'd just make two of the sugar free ones.  Just make sure they are labeled that way in case anyone is allergic to artificial sweetener.

Pippen

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2012, 06:08:19 PM »
Not rude at all. It's practical. You are simply ensuring that people who are restricted get a share. If you put it out it may well get wolfed down by others who don't realise.

QueenofAllThings

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2012, 06:17:38 PM »
As an aside to sourwolf, my best cheesecake recipe has no sweetener in the cheesecake at all - it's delicious! Sometimes, I'll add a tablespoon or so (just because I feel I should) but it really doesn't need it. Now, there IS sugar in the crust, but you can omit the crust all together - so sugar- and carb-free!

sourwolf

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2012, 06:20:27 PM »
As an aside to sourwolf, my best cheesecake recipe has no sweetener in the cheesecake at all - it's delicious! Sometimes, I'll add a tablespoon or so (just because I feel I should) but it really doesn't need it. Now, there IS sugar in the crust, but you can omit the crust all together - so sugar- and carb-free!
You know what? I looked back at the OP and she doesn't actually say anything about artificial sweeteners so it might be like your recipe where there is no need for a special label.

jpcher

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2012, 06:34:12 PM »
With 150-200 people attending, I see absolutely nothing wrong with putting out a sign that states "Diabetic, sugar-free, whatever eating restriction Only!" Just the same that you can set aside a group of food with a sign that states  "Vegetarian/vegan friendly."

rose red

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2012, 06:38:37 PM »
Even with two cheesecakes, it may get all gobbled up since there's hundreds of people attending.  I would put the cheesecakes out on the table so they don't think a few guests are served "better" stuff, but I don't see a problem with hiding away a few slices for those who can't eat the other desserts. 

lady_disdain

• Super Hero!
    • Contemporary Jewelry
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2012, 06:47:36 PM »
I would keep some of the sugarless away as well. Let the girl know when she arrives that you have a piece of cheesecake for her in the fridge and either let her get it when she likes it or have her ask you for it.

miritree

« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2012, 07:02:04 PM »
This special person would love a copy of that recipe.  ;)

Oh Joy

« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2012, 07:10:38 PM »
Hmmm...a gathering that large makes it tough to have a special food in limited quantity.  But I'm not comfortable having something restricted to certain people (which is different from providing a certain dish that anyone's welcome to).

Could you put a note on the dessert table that a sugar-free cheesecake is available and to ask you for it?  That way anyone who can't/shouldn't/would rather not eat the sweetened stuff can get it, but it won't 'go' as fast.

Have fun!

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2012, 07:23:23 PM »
Could you put a note on the dessert table that a sugar-free cheesecake is available and to ask you for it?  That way anyone who can't/shouldn't/would rather not eat the sweetened stuff can get it, but it won't 'go' as fast.

I like this idea!
After cleaning out my Dad's house, I have this advice:  If you haven't used it in a year, throw it out!!!!.
Ontario

CakeEater

« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2012, 08:11:09 PM »
I think it's completely fine to put away a few pieces of the cheesecake for someone in particular. I wouldn't even give it another thought.

littlelauraj

• My world
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2012, 08:20:06 PM »
Thanks for the replies, everyone.  My recipe does indeed call for artificial sweetener, so I am concerned about that.  I don't want anyone to get sick, although I do consider that if a guest has allergies or sensitivities it's up to them to ask about certain ingredients, so I'm not too worried.  It never occurred to me to just make both cheesecakes sugar free.  I knew I was over thinking!  I could do that in addition to putting a few portions away.  Then if we do run out there is still some left, and if we don't then there are leftovers.  Perfect!  (I guess that was RoseRed's suggestion, so thanks!)

Queen, I'd love to see your recipe if you'd like to share.  I'll try to post mine soon.

Isometric

« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2012, 08:40:04 PM »
I hope it's not rude, since I have done it before! At our engagement, we had a wonderful, glutenous cake. For the few attendees who were Gluten Free, I baked some cupcakes and left them aside to give to those people.

Or, when having a party, I will tell the GF people, "everything on the purple platter is GF" so they can swoop in.