Author Topic: Special food for special people  (Read 9519 times)

Only me

Re: Special food for special people
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2012, 08:50:13 PM »
HI

I would be interested in seeing the recipes from both OP and Queen. My brother has gone low carb and one of the kids is diabetic. But the family loves cheesecake.

Onlyme

blarg314

• Super Hero!
« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2012, 10:47:17 PM »
I think what I'd do is either make the cheesecake part of the regular offerings, but keep a bit back so that it doesn't run out before they people who need it get it, or serve regular cheese-cake, but have the sugar free stuff in reserve for those who need it.

I agree that in a group that big it's difficult to put out reserved food - the odds that someone else will have it are too big. They key in having special items kept back for people with restrictions is to not have it seem like they are getting something *better* than the rest of the gathering. So if they're the only ones who get cheesecake, it could cause disgruntlement. But if they get a sugar free cheesecake while others get regular, then it shouldn't be an issue.

As an aside - I've seen this happen often with vegetarian pizzas. There are a lot of non vegetarians who prefer veggie pizzas, or at least ones not loaded down with meat. So when you order pizza for a group, you either need to defend the vegetarian table with great vigor and a lot of questions, or have two piles of veggie pizza - one for regular consumption, and one for vegetarian only.

hannahmollysmom

« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2012, 01:04:58 AM »
I would make a little flag and put it on a toothpick and insert it into the cheesecake. Most people who aren't sugar free will most likely leave it for those who are. You can always make a 2nd one and keep it away in case it is needed.

I've been diabetic for almost a year now, and make sugarfree low carb items. The first thing my adult children ask when I serve something is "is this real food?" meaning none of my experiments with sugarfree/low carb flours.  ???

And, I would love the recipe too!

WillyNilly

• Super Hero!
  • Mmmmm, food
    • The World as I Taste It
« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2012, 10:42:15 AM »
I think the idea of two sugar free cheese cakes is good, as well as labeling it.  And also, perhaps try to have a large selection of 'good to everyone, safe for everyone' treats.

As everyone has noticed often the 'special' foods get eaten by 'regular' people.  And absolutely as a 'regular' person I totally sympathize; it must be frustrating to not have foods you can eat at an event. 

But I also have to say, just because I can eat any of the foods, doesn't mean I want to.  The reason I'm not diabetic (like both my parents) is in great part due to the fact that I follow an almost diabetic diet.  I also eat low gluten - I have no gluten intolerances, but I also don't want to develop one!  And while I'm not a vegetarian I don't tend to eat more then 1 or 2 servings a meat a week, if that much, but I do make sure to get a minimum of 4 servings of veggies a day, often more. 

And I know a lot of people who eat like me.

So when we go to a party it can be a minefield for us too.  We want to eat the low sugar, low gluten, low processed foods, high veggie dishes.  But often we are pushed towards the high calorie, processed foods because the other stuff is being saved for those who need it. But its a paradox - if I eat too much "regular" food chances are, based on family history, that I'll become a diabetic.  So while I technically can eat it, I really shouldn't.  But you know that's really not a conversation I feel like I should have to have with anyone - while my own medical condition is my private business to share if I want, sharing my parents medical conditions is absolutely unacceptable - its not my business to tell anyone!

So in my opinion is if you have recipes everyone can eat, and they are tasty and popular with everyone, just make those - that way everyone is equal and everyone is happy.

Zilla

• Super Hero!
    • Cooking
« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2012, 10:50:17 AM »
Could you put a note on the table, For those following the sugar or carb free diets, a sugar free/carb free cheesecake is available and to ask you for it?  That way anyone who can't/shouldn't/would rather not eat the sweetened stuff can get it, but it won't 'go' as fast.

I like this idea!

I love this idea, with the bolded change.

bah12

• Super Hero!
« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2012, 12:38:49 PM »
I would make two sugar free cheesecakes and label them as such so that those on restricted diets know that they are ok.  I'd also make an extra one to keep in the kitchen for your family.  Since I'm assuming that you are the only ones (or ones of just a few) that will be there all day, I see nothing wrong with having the extra in the back for them to snack on in between entertaining guests.

doodlemor

« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2012, 12:56:35 PM »
I would make two sugar free cheesecakes and label them as such so that those on restricted diets know that they are ok.  I'd also make an extra one to keep in the kitchen for your family.  Since I'm assuming that you are the only ones (or ones of just a few) that will be there all day, I see nothing wrong with having the extra in the back for them to snack on in between entertaining guests.

I really like the idea of having a whole extra sugar free cheesecake left as a back up in the fridge.  So many people are health conscious nowadays that I suspect the sugar free cheesecake on the buffet will be very popular.

littlelauraj

• My world
« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2012, 12:53:58 PM »

sweetonsno

« Reply #23 on: September 19, 2012, 04:55:56 PM »
I like the idea of making all of the cheesecake sugar-free (as others have said, definitely label it as such, including an indication of which sweetener you're using. . . some folks are allergic/averse to some types but not others). I think bah12's suggestion is good as well. Make an extra cheesecake for your family and keep it in the fridge. If any of the diabetic or carb-restricted people show up later and nothing is available for them, you could give them some of your stash.

I'm glad you're thinking of them. I understand that folks without dietary restrictions can eat anything they want, but it's definitely frustrating to come to a party with the understanding that there will be options for you to find that there are none.

SuperMartianRobotGirl

« Reply #24 on: September 19, 2012, 05:42:24 PM »
I would personally just put it up with a sign that says "diabetic sugar/free cheesecake. uses artifical sweetner." People who don't need it are likely to go for something else with the sign. You might have a piece or two taken by someone who doesn't care, but usually when people go to a potluck they aren't in it for sugar-free desserts. But then it's available for people who DO need it without having to hunt around for someone and wait to get it. I don't know how many people would go through that trouble.

bopper

• Super Hero!
« Reply #25 on: September 21, 2012, 11:54:53 AM »
Another idea is to make the SF cheesecake and keep it in the fridge until dessert time. Then get it out, serve some to the people who need it, and then put it out with the rest with a little sign saying this is SF Cheesecake.

Stacey

littlelauraj

• My world
« Reply #26 on: September 21, 2012, 05:26:53 PM »
Bopper, I would do that except this an open house style party.  That means that people are coming and going literally all day long.  That's how we can easily host hundreds of people and never feel crushed and crowded. 

blarg314

• Super Hero!
« Reply #27 on: September 21, 2012, 09:00:40 PM »

What about a sign saying "diabetic/carb free desserts available by request" on the dessert tray?

That way people who need it know that it's available, but you can monitor how fast it gets eaten. Using the term diabetic rather than sugar free makes it sound more medical - ie, you're more likely to have diabetics ask for it than people who are on a diet.

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #28 on: September 21, 2012, 10:43:51 PM »
My Lil Sis has a bad reaction to all artificial sweeteners.  She had put off trying Splenda & Stevia - due to her reactions being painful and somewhat prolonged - someone tried to make their cooking "healthier" and used Splenda to sweeten something.  She now refuses to even think about trying Stevia or any newer ones now.  She actually allergic to flax seed, which is ground & added to food for extra fiber, to the point that some people have forgotten what they are adding to food she's being offered - until the warning prickle starts in her mouth.  By which time she has probably already swallowed the first bite....

Please be sure to let people know if it is has "no added sugar" or if has been artificially sweetened to keep down the carbs - because it can make a difference to some of the people who'd think about eating it.  But having a diabetic friendly dessert in the kitchen is a great idea - that way the people who can eat other things will try what is out on the dessert table and the ones who need to restrict carbs can ask for the other dessert option.

And now I want cheesecake - since I could serve a slice to VorGuy (diagnosed as diabetic earlier this summer - he is NOT happy about it, either).
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #29 on: September 21, 2012, 11:32:24 PM »
I would make a little flag and put it on a toothpick and insert it into the cheesecake. Most people who aren't sugar free will most likely leave it for those who are. You can always make a 2nd one and keep it away in case it is needed.

I've been diabetic for almost a year now, and make sugarfree low carb items. The first thing my adult children ask when I serve something is "is this real food?" meaning none of my experiments with sugarfree/low carb flours.  ???

And, I would love the recipe too!

I make sugar-free pumpkin pie and banana bread.  You can't tell the difference.