Author Topic: Accidental injuries, adult on child  (Read 6603 times)

SleepyKitty

• Quid plura?
Re: Accidental injuries, adult on child
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2012, 09:59:37 AM »
Timely thread! I was grocery shopping yesterday and trying to navigate out of a busy aisle. There was a little girl - maybe six? or seven? - darting around while her mother would occasionally murmur "Look where you're going". She ran out in front of my cart twice, so I was actively trying to watch out for her, but as I was exiting the aisle she managed to run in front of my cart just as I pushed forward; my cart was pretty full and heavy at this point and I couldn't stop. I basically ran her over, knocking her down. She immediately started to wail, I stood there horrified, and mom reached forward, grabbed the girl's arm, and hauled her out of the aisle and somewhere else in the store before I had a chance to sputter out anything other than "Ohmigosh, I'm so..."

The worst part was that she continued crying loudly for the next twenty minutes. You know how sometimes when you're grocery shopping, you seem to see the same people in every aisle? I was haunted by the sounds of her crying for the rest of my trip - and so was everyone else in the store.

I wish I had the chance to finish the apology, but it happened so fast!

SPuck

« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2012, 12:23:28 PM »
I think an apology might help relieve your anxiety over the collision SleepyKitty, but a kid running around grocery store of people with laden carts is not that much different than the example I mentioned with the kid playing chicken with their foot and a moving rocking chair. It was kind of the little girl's fault she was hurt because she wouldn't stay still.

twoferrets

« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2012, 09:42:36 AM »
I accidentally tripped a 2 or 3 year old at my nephew's 1st birthday party recently.  I was trying to get a picture of the kids playing on the little trampoline and I took a step backwards, and at the precise instant Toddler Typhoon zipped behind me and clipped my heel.  He faceplanted on the lawn and came up with grass all around his mouth & chin-- I was HORRIFIED.  But before I could even check him for injury he zoomed off again and his dad, who had apparently been warning him to calm down a bit, was more amused by my frantic apology than anything else.  It's all attitude-- Dad would likely have been a lot less forgiving if I hadn't been so clearly remorseful.

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2012, 12:18:28 PM »
I was once playing tag with a group of children under my supervision. I don't remember exactly HOW it happened, but one of the little boys and I collided. He fell, I stumbled, and his hand and my foot ended up landing in the same spot in that order. I immediately apologized, and went to seek medical care. To everyone's surprise, when he was asked who he wanted to accompany him to the ER, he chose me because, 'I know you didn't mean to step on me.' Fortunately, no bones were broken. His father was OK with it- he was of the opinion that accidents happen. I wonder if the boy even remembers it...or me...

I would betcha he does! he remembers that you apologized and were worried about him, and made him feel cared for.

Sterling

• Oh Stupid Me- Blogs about Things That Drive Me Crazy
« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2012, 04:41:46 PM »
1) Give a sincere apology to the child even if the child was at fault.
2) Notify the child's parent. That way, your version of the story gets told first rather than a child's version. It can help prevent misunderstandings and you can clear the air immediately.

Definitely number 2 there.  I was a teen visiting with family during Thanksgiving when my cousin's daughter sneaked  up behind us and I stepped back elbowing her in the face.  I apologized but didn't think to go find her mom.  She went and told her mom that I slapped her on purpose and called her a brat.

My cousin's wife and I have never been close after that because she was determined to believe that I purposely hurt her child.
93 93/93

suzieQ

« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2012, 09:36:08 PM »
1) Give a sincere apology to the child even if the child was at fault.
2) Notify the child's parent. That way, your version of the story gets told first rather than a child's version. It can help prevent misunderstandings and you can clear the air immediately.

Definitely number 2 there.  I was a teen visiting with family during Thanksgiving when my cousin's daughter sneaked  up behind us and I stepped back elbowing her in the face.  I apologized but didn't think to go find her mom.  She went and told her mom that I slapped her on purpose and called her a brat.

My cousin's wife and I have never been close after that because she was determined to believe that I purposely hurt her child.

Hmph. Sounds like she *was* a brat to tell tales like that.
Check out my crocheted cross body bags for phones!

http://phlings.blogspot.com/

grannyclampettjr

« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2012, 09:47:27 PM »
Hasn't happened to me very often, thank goodness, but I apologize, check for injuries, and if the parent/caregiver is near, look for cues as to whether or not to hug and kiss or not over react. 

Cause many kids are drama llamas and many parents want to nip that in the bud.   ;D