Author Topic: Low carb/sugar cheesecake  (Read 1699 times)

littlelauraj

• My world
Low carb/sugar cheesecake
« on: September 19, 2012, 12:53:11 PM »
This is the recipe that I use for cheesecake.  It was the subject of a thread in the entertainment section and there were some requests, so here it is.  :)  I originally got this one from the 1997 edition of Fran McCullough's The Low-Carb Cookbook, and I've adapted it slightly.   If anyone else has a good low sugar cheesecake (QueenofAllThings, I'm looking at you!) please feel free to post them on this thread.

Have all ingredients at room temperature.

1 (15)ounce container whole-milk ricotta
2 cups sour cream
16 ounces cream cheese
1 cup Splenda
8 tablespoons butter, melted
3 extra-large eggs
3 tablespoons flour
3 tablespoons cornstarch
2 tablespoons vanilla extract
2 tablespoons lemon juice

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and set a baking rack in the middle of the oven.  Butter a 10-inch springform pan.

Put the ricotta in the workbowl of a feed processor and process until smooth  Add the sour cream and cream cheese and process until smooth.  Add the remaining ingredients through the feed tube and process until well combined.

Pour the mixture into the prepared pan and bake for 1 hour. Turn off the heat and leave the cheesecake in the oven with the door ajar for one more hour.  Cool on a rack.  The cheesecake can be made two or three days in advance and kept, covered with plastic wrap, in the refrigerator.  You can also freeze it for up to three weeks; defrost before serving. 

Makes 12 servings.  Carb count (according to the app on my phone) is 8 g per serving.

Zilla

• Super Hero!
    • Cooking
Re: Low carb/sugar cheesecake
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2012, 01:03:51 PM »
A friend at a potluck made this and it was delish,

http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/desserts/r/lcarbcheesecake.htm

This one I used agave syrup as my sweetener.  And I have made it with and without the crust.

Nutritional info: Each serving has 2 grams [/size]effective carbohydrate[/color][/size] plus 1 gram fiber, 6 grams protein, and 221 calories.[/color][/size][/color]

doodlemor

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2012, 06:16:32 PM »
Thanks for sharing your recipe, littlelauraj.  It sounds scrumptious.

There's a no bake cheesecake recipe on the back of the Knox gelatin package.  I've made this a number of times with Splenda, and it worked well.  I used an Atkins recipe nut crust, also made with Splenda.  Not as fancy or large as a "real" cheesecake, but very easy.

White Lotus

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2012, 10:36:27 PM »
I am going to try this with Stevia rather than Splenda, using the almond meal crust from the other recipe.   If you do not like the texture of gelatin (many recipes contain it) or are vegetarian (gelatin is a meat product) try kanten, also known as agar-agar.  Much nicer texture, and it is a vegetable. This sounds delicious!

littlelauraj

• My world
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2012, 07:03:22 PM »
Another good vegan pectin product is Pomona pectin.  I use it a lot in my sugar free jams.

QueenofAllThings

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2012, 09:11:15 PM »
I make a regular old cheesecake recipe with only 1 tablespoon of sugar in it. It's delicious! I also make the crust with walnuts replacing 1/2 the graham cracker, so that reduces the carbs.