Author Topic: Hosting a steak dinner as thank you, and looking for suggested sides  (Read 4203 times)

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
Re: Hosting a steak dinner as thank you, and looking for suggested sides
« Reply #30 on: October 03, 2012, 10:52:27 AM »
Potato pie.

This is best with left-over mashed potatoes but fresh made will work well too.

Mix well-buttered mashed potatoes with bits of ham and some grated cheddar cheese.  Finely chopped sautéed onions are a nice addition. 

Press into a 9x9 inch Pyrex pan and sprinkle more cheese on top. Bake until the top is nicely browned. 

Serve in scoops.

This was a specialty at a steak house we used to frequent.  Everybody who knew the place never ordered any other sort of potato. 

NyaChan

« Reply #31 on: October 03, 2012, 12:02:58 PM »
Potato pie.

This is best with left-over mashed potatoes but fresh made will work well too.

Mix well-buttered mashed potatoes with bits of ham and some grated cheddar cheese.  Finely chopped sautéed onions are a nice addition. 

Press into a 9x9 inch Pyrex pan and sprinkle more cheese on top. Bake until the top is nicely browned. 

Serve in scoops.

This was a specialty at a steak house we used to frequent.  Everybody who knew the place never ordered any other sort of potato.

This sounds so interesting, I'll have to try this minus the ham.

Peregrine

« Reply #32 on: October 03, 2012, 07:13:40 PM »
One of my favorite late summer appetizers is Salami tomato salad.

Thinly sliced good salami

Marinade salami for 3-8 hours in the refrigerator in the following ingredients whisked together thoroughly:
1/2 cup olive oil
juice of 1 lemon
1 tsp lemon zest
clove of garlic crushed
2-3 TBSP chopped parsley

About a half hour before serving remove marinated salami from the refrigerator to come to room temp.  Thickly slice your best tomatoes, salt and pepper them liberally. Then lay a slice or two of salami over each tomato.  Drizzle leftover marinade over the salami and tomatoes for service.  Utterly delcious with your best quality tomatoes.

Can also be made with a little slice of buffalo mozzarella, but I find just the salami and tomato to really be good.  This is a hearty and man pleasing appetizer and been a favorite for many years in my family.

jpcher

• Super Hero!
« Reply #33 on: October 03, 2012, 08:16:53 PM »
I don't want this dinner to be "formal" - I want everyone to relax, enjoy good food, wine and company before plunging back into the work week.  But, due to my great appreciation of the special effort these friends made for me - I would like to have something new or special to serve.

I getcha . . . you want to make a special splash.

Someone upthread mentioned doing the specialty items as appetizers. I tend to agree with this. If it's a long party rather than just a sit down for dinner, specialty WOW! apps can go a long way. Take your time, nosh and enjoy. I love parties like this! ;D

Stuffed mushrooms . . . baked in the oven with a crab-meat/cream cheese stuffing is delish for a warm app and partners well with a bruschetta. You could also do the asparagus wrapped in Prosciutto for an app.

On the grill for dinner? Outdoor Girl's potatoes are close to mine and they are awesome and different.

Shrimp-stuffed tomatoes on the grill would be a nice and different side with the meal.

For the main meal I would keep it simple with a steak (ribeyes are the best! ;D), a salad, a potato and a veggie.

Make your splash with the apps.

Don't forget the fresh horseradish! ;D