Author Topic: "I love X"..."I think X stinks!"  (Read 4349 times)

KenveeB

• Super Hero!
Re: "I love X"..."I think X stinks!"
« Reply #45 on: October 11, 2012, 10:56:37 PM »
I think that the response depends a lot on the flow of the conversation. If I was chatting with someone about a show we both liked and someone else felt the need to jump in with "I can't stand that show!", I'd be taken aback and feel a bit attacked. If I asked someone what they thought of a show and they had the same response, I wouldn't feel the same way. My rule of thumb is that I don't jump into a conversation to say I hate something. (Unless the conversation is about how much people hate X. ;)) But I'll respond honestly if asked. I dislike the LOTR books, so I'm used to conversations on it going both ways.

Also, there are ways and ways to respond. I've definitely heard the "ugh, Twilight fans are vapid, shallow twits"-type response, which I think is rude and immediately downgrades the speaker in my perception. But "I don't care for the writing style" or "I didn't really like the portrayal of relationships" is just a normal difference of opinion.

HonorH

Re: "I love X"..."I think X stinks!"
« Reply #46 on: October 12, 2012, 12:59:29 AM »

I also like what others are saying about shutting down conversation as opposed to opening it up. It's easy to just proclaim The Truth about the latest pop-culture phenomenon, but you'll soon find yourself shy of conversational partners.

Remember that you can proclaim The Truth from the positive side as well!  And people who love something can "slam the door" conversationally.

People who love something can shut the conversation down just as much as people who didn't like it.

True enough. "X is brilliant. If you don't like X, you must not have a SOUL!" is just as rude as its opposite number. And we've all met people who gas on and on and ON about their favorite thing, ignoring all attempts to turn the conversation . . .
William wondered why he always disliked people who said "no offense meant." Maybe it was because they found it easier to say "no offense meant" than actually to refrain from giving offense.

--Terry Pratchett, The Truth