Author Topic: Creative Brownies  (Read 3145 times)

Mikayla

Creative Brownies
« on: September 20, 2012, 09:57:39 PM »
I have a basic package of brownies for a 13x9 pan.  I need to do something creative with them to take to a neighborhood pot luck thing Saturday evening.  It doesn't matter if it's some kind of frosting or something to add to the mix.  Anyone have ideas? 

Valentines Mommy

Re: Creative Brownies
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2012, 10:00:22 PM »
Cream cheese swirl to make the cheesecake brownies?

Peanut butter swirl?

alkira6

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2012, 10:03:32 PM »
Buy a large symphony bar (toffee and almond) and break it into pieces. Make your batter, adding 2-3 tblespoons of brewed coffee.  Layer the bottom of the pan with 1/2 the batter and smooth down, space the candy bar out over the batter. Cover with remaining batter. Bake according to regular directions. Let cool and sprinkle with 2-3 tablespoons mor brewed coffee.

NyaChan

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2012, 10:06:18 PM »
This is my favorite brownie recipe:

Preheat 350 degrees

1)  Combine until well mixed
- 1 cup Butter, melted
- 2 1/4 cups brown sugar
- 2 eggs

2) Combine and add to step 1
- 2 cups + 1 TBL flour
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans (optional)

3) Melt while stirring in a pot
- 12 oz chocolate chips
- 14 oz condensed milk (the thick sweetened stuff, not the milk for tea)
- 2 TBL butter

4) Spread the step 2 flour mixture in a 9x13 or 10x15 pan (reserve some if desired)

5) Pour chocolate mixture over the dough, swirl for design or dot with reserved dough

6) Bake 30-35 minutes until golden but make sure chocolate doesn't burn

7) Cool completely before cutting (but these taste really yummy when all warm and gooey).

ETA:  Whoops! Sorry, I didn't catch the part where you already have mix for this occasion.  If it is for adults, I like to sub in some creme de menthe or kahlua for an extra kick of flavor.  I also love mixing in the baking chips they make of peanut butter, butterscotch, etc. or swirl in some jam.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2012, 10:08:02 PM by NyaChan »

singingserpent

• I like pie.
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2012, 10:12:32 PM »
I just made something called "slutty brownies"--don't know why they are called that.  You take chocolate chip cookie dough (premade) and smash it in a thin layer to cover the bottom of the pan. Cover with one layer of oreo cookies and then pour the brownie mix over the top of all. Cook according to the brownie instructions.  They are very rich and need to be cut into small pieces so would go a long way.  The recipe has been all over pinterest lately so you should be able to get more detailed instructions online.

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2012, 12:41:51 AM »
Buy a large symphony bar (toffee and almond) and break it into pieces. Make your batter, adding 2-3 tblespoons of brewed coffee.  Layer the bottom of the pan with 1/2 the batter and smooth down, space the candy bar out over the batter. Cover with remaining batter. Bake according to regular directions. Let cool and sprinkle with 2-3 tablespoons mor brewed coffee.

But warn the people about the coffee! I loath coffee and am nearly a chocoholic, so I gagged and spit the stuff out. What a waste. At least I didn't throw up like I usually do.

I couldn't smell it because of all the other stuff around.

Aeris

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2012, 12:48:12 AM »
Add 1 tsp of almond extract to the batter. Add a layer of sliced salted* almonds to the top of the batter just before popping into the oven.

*the salt makes a big difference.

Ceallach

• This Is It
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2012, 01:38:39 AM »
I'd probably just go with some creative decorating - quick but looks good.   So make up the brownies, frost them, then cover in sprinkles, cut into small finger-sized portions, then finish with a cherry or similar in the centre of each piece. 

But really it's hard to go wrong with brownie - they'll fly off the potluck table!   ;D
"Nobody can do everything, but everybody can do something"

CrochetFanatic

« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2012, 02:14:55 AM »
I stumbled across something good; adding two teaspoons or so of cinnamon, and spreading a chocolate ganache on top.  This last isn't hard to make, it's basically just chocolate melted in hot heavy cream, and it sets in a sort of icing.  You can find recipes all over the 'net.

I tried the "slutty brownies" recipe once.  Sooo good...but very rich!

blarg314

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2012, 03:58:13 AM »
The simplest thing to do would be to mix in add-ins - mini marshmellows, nuts, dried fruit, that sort of thing.  You could do mini-mashmallows, nuts and white chocolate chips for a rocky-road sort of thing, or dried apricots and pecans for something a bit more refined.

If it's a cake-like brownie mix (rather than fudge-like) you could slice it in two and layer it with a raspberry sauce.

Oh, and I suppose "special" brownies aren't what you're looking for here.  ;D

wx4caster

• Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!
    • wx4caster's Crafty Albums
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2012, 09:48:38 AM »
Add chopped maraschino cherries (or chopped walnuts) and package of chocolate chips. There's no such thing as too much chocolate.
The days are long but the years are short.

Zilla

• Super Hero!
    • Cooking
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2012, 11:20:06 AM »
I just made something called "slutty brownies"--don't know why they are called that.  You take chocolate chip cookie dough (premade) and smash it in a thin layer to cover the bottom of the pan. Cover with one layer of oreo cookies and then pour the brownie mix over the top of all. Cook according to the brownie instructions.  They are very rich and need to be cut into small pieces so would go a long way.  The recipe has been all over pinterest lately so you should be able to get more detailed instructions online.

I second this slutty brownies.  (It's slutty since it's overboard in what's in it)

I also like Paula Deen's Candy Bar Brownies.  Buy your favorite candy bars (any will work) or buy the bite sized and pour half of the brownie batter in the pan.  Do a layer of the candy bars, pour the rest of the batter on top and bake like normal.

Miriam

« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2012, 01:15:27 PM »
Mud pie brownies:

crush up chocolate cookies (my favorite type are oreos)
heat up a bit of butter and mix with cookie crumble, then smooth the mix on the bottom of the pan.
mix brownie batter with miniature marshmallows and chocolate chips, pour on top of cookie crust
once out of the oven and cooled drizzle with caramel sauce.

"All Was Well"

GirlyGirl

« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2012, 07:23:45 PM »
I like to make these, but I put salted peanuts under the chocolate layer:

http://www.bettycrocker.com/recipes/peanut-butter-truffle-brownies/c5c602e4-007b-43e0-aaab-2f9aed89524c

jpcher

• Super Hero!
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2012, 03:39:29 PM »
Turtle brownies:

Melt caramel squares (1/2 - 1 package, depending on how much you love caramel) with a few tablespoons of milk.

Put 1/2 of your brownie batter on the bottom of the pan

drizzle the caramel over the brownie layer

sprinkle with a bunch of lightly crumbled pecans (amount varies to taste)

cover with the rest of your batter then gently swirl the top layer with the caramel (try not to go all the way down to the bottom layer of brownie mix)

bake according to your mix instructions.

Sooooo yummy! ;D