Author Topic: Boss pretends to be someone she's not  (Read 7930 times)

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
Re: Boss pretends to be someone she's not
« Reply #45 on: September 24, 2012, 06:49:34 AM »
Her phoniness also plays into the horrible stereotype of women who can't face reality about themselves.

Having said that, the only thing that would make this the OP's battle to fight is if and when this interferes with work.  That is when upper echelons need to be approached.

Anniissa

« Reply #46 on: September 24, 2012, 11:19:02 AM »
Elanore Roosevelt said: There is a special hell for women that do not help eachother. I would say in this case: Cut her some slack.

That makes me uncomfortable. No one person in my life deserves more help than any other person in my life simply because she is female.

It's actually kind of sexist, and I generally have a tin ear when it comes to that.

I completely agree. Why is this being made into a 'sisterhood' issue. It very much isn't. If this boss was a man, I'm sure nobody would have a problem with decrying him as a phony and a showboat. Why should a woman be treated more leniently?

I agree that it is not about the fact she is a woman. I have worked with two people who presented themselves in ways that were far from the reality of their lives. Both were male. With both, they obviously felt the need to create new, more exciting lives for themselves. Actually I found it incredibly sad that they felt unable to rely on their true personalities but it was not something that I could change. I had to get along with them in a working environment so had to focus on the work side of things and ignore the rest as it really did not affect me (other than making me inwardly groan at some of the stories). One thing I did need to be careful of was not to get drawn into the inevitable gossiping and moaning from other colleagues. I could vent with friends outside work (and see the funny side of things sometimes) but I don't think it is professional to discuss other colleagues behind their backs.

bopper

• Super Hero!
« Reply #47 on: September 24, 2012, 02:08:39 PM »
TootsNYC:

I know about her blog because she sent me the link and regularly drops in things like 'I expect you've read my blog', or 'how did you like my latest blog post' or 'gosh I have so much blogging to do, I shall be up late tonight'.

"I do so like your posts...you should make a novel out of them."

Ha, good idea. Maybe she'll get so busy with her novel that she won't bug you anymore. :P

Also the novel because it would be full of fiction.