Author Topic: Interviewing for a position vs. interviewing with a recruiter  (Read 1836 times)

jmarvellous

Interviewing for a position vs. interviewing with a recruiter
« on: September 21, 2012, 04:01:00 PM »
I have my first recruiter interview Tuesday. I'm used to interviewing for a specific role, generally with people who are at least somewhat familiar with the work I do and the work I'll be doing at their company.

This recruiter specializes in my field in a very general sense (think "media" jobs of any stripe, not "my specialty" jobs); I haven no idea whether the recruiter agent who's going to interview me will have any detailed knowledge of my specialty.

Is there anything I should keep in mind for this type of interview?

Any recruiter success stories to give me hope?

I'd prefer a permanent role, full- or part-time, but I would accept a temporary one or temp-to-perm. Any good way to convey this without seeming desperate?

alice

Re: Interviewing for a position vs. interviewing with a recruiter
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2012, 04:45:21 PM »
Remember that no matter how friendly they seem, their job is to get the best person for their client.  They will be paid by the client..not you.  So don't get to comfortable and spill anything you would not tell the hr person.

From my field, Accounting, recruiters have some knowledge but not a lot of detail.  You may have to help them understand what you do-the positions they offer might be close, but not on target.

Good luck!

jmarvellous

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2012, 05:12:47 PM »
Thanks, alice! Those are excellent points!

(I guess I came into this with an etiquette query but didn't remember to put it in. Etiquette-wise, is there anything different about these situations? Formality, preparation, etc.?)

The follow-up email for our phone call about the interview was decidedly casual.

cicero

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2012, 12:48:59 PM »
I've worked with recruiters from both from a job seeker and an administrator looking for employees. I've also worked through temp agencies as well as placement agencies.

While it is true that the recruiter is being paid by the client and not you, i've found that it works best to be honest with them. if you are looking for FT job but are willing to do PT /temp work - tell them. Ask them to go over your CV and help you jazz it up if necessary. things like that. IOW - treat it like a regular interview but also a bit like two people trying to work out a win-win situation - you want a job, she wants her fee.

good luck!

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Ceallach

• This Is It
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2012, 12:26:40 AM »
The advantage of a recruiter is you can be much more honest with them.   Their goal is to sell you into a job - that's how they get paid - so they genuinely want to find something that you will accept and that you will be good at.  Whereas when you interview for 1 specific role you're more focused on trying to sell yourself into *that* role, rather than selling yourself as a candidate in general. 

It's fine to say "My goal is FT work but I'm happy doing temp or contract even part-time until the right opportunity comes up".   Just don't go in there and say "I'll do anything, either FT, PT, whatever!" As that can reek of desperation.  And I say that because it's one of my own main frustrations as a recruiter - after all, if I don't know what they really want, how can I help them?   Likewise, if there's something you really don't want to do (such as a particular company or type of role), then be open about that.  Just don't come on too strong or too negative in any particular thing.  Let the interviewer drive the process - they'll have set questions they want to get through.  But they'll also want you to ask questions and be interactive. 

My number one interview advice is to be honest and open, and relax.   After all, there is nothing to lose.   Good luck!
"Nobody can do everything, but everybody can do something"

bopper

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2012, 02:14:17 PM »
I would imagine that it would also be good to say what kind of media jobs you would accept and which ones you wouldn't...I am sure they want to place a person in a job...so you could tell them that you are interested in TV jobs but not radio for example...or whatever key words you are interested in and which ones you aren't.

jmarvellous

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2012, 06:11:37 PM »
UPDATE: I used the techniques here, and it went OK. The interviewer knew a lot about the industry but maybe less about my particular field, as expected. She told me she'd be in touch with leads.

But today, I accepted a full-time offer at an unrelated company! I am employable! I will remain employed! I'm so relieved.