Author Topic: Unsent thank you notes!  (Read 1882 times)

faithlessone

Unsent thank you notes!
« on: September 24, 2012, 06:20:37 AM »
This weekend, I've been cleaning out my desk, and I just discovered a bag full of unsent thank you notes!!

They're from my graduation party, which was a little over two years ago. As far as I can tell (they were all unsealed), this is all the ones I wrote, so no one got a thank you note from me.

I feel horrible now, even though no one's ever mentioned it. Everyone was able to make it on the day, so they were all thanked in person, but the notes obviously never made it out.

What do you guys think I should do? I've seen all these people multiple times since the event, and, as I said, it was more than two years ago. Am I okay to just forget them?

NyaChan

Re: Unsent thank you notes!
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2012, 06:22:57 AM »
I'd probably pen a quick note with the story, apologize for the delay, and give them the thank you note anyways.  I bet some people will think it is funny & sweet that you would make the effort two years after to make up for it.

Penguin_ar

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2012, 06:24:43 AM »
Two years later?  Yes, I'd chuck them.
If you have any family or friends who mentioned something (that you remember!), or that are sticklers for etiquette, you could always bring it up in conversation:  "Oh, the other day I was cleaning out my drawer and  guess what I found?  The thank-you cards I wrote and addressed 2 years ago after my graduation!  I spent so much time writing them and then they never got sent, I feel so embarassed! Hahaha! "

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2012, 07:38:10 AM »
I'd stick stamps on them, seal them, and write on the back of the envelope:
"Look what I found buried in my room! Aak! sorry"
And then add a short sentence like, "say hi to Joey for me" or "how's your new job?"

Treat the back of the envelope like a postcard.

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2012, 09:19:02 AM »
I just found 2 weeks ago thank you notes that my DD had written 4 years ago and had got put back in the box waiting for me to get some addresses for her.  I put them in a separate envelope with a note from me explaining the delay.

yokozbornak

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2012, 09:19:33 AM »
I can so sympathize. DH and I moved to another state shortly after our wedding and the again a few months later when we bought a home.  A couple of years after the last move, I was digging through a cabinet and found a box full of thank-you notes that I had written for wedding gifts!  I ended up not sending them because many of the gifts came from people I didn't know well (friends of DH's parents, DH's former coworkers, etc) so it felt weird trying to send them several years later. We did let everyone who we were still in contact with know what happened. I am still embarrassed about it!

WillyNilly

• Super Hero!
  • Mmmmm, food
    • The World as I Taste It
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2012, 10:05:29 AM »
I'd stick stamps on them, seal them, and write on the back of the envelope:
"Look what I found buried in my room! Aak! sorry"
And then add a short sentence like, "say hi to Joey for me" or "how's your new job?"

Treat the back of the envelope like a postcard.

This is exactly what I'd do... aw heck I'll admit it, I have done this.

SamiHami

• No! Iz mai catnip! You no can haz! YOU NO CAN HAZ!
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2012, 11:10:26 AM »
I'd probably pen a quick note with the story, apologize for the delay, and give them the thank you note anyways.  I bet some people will think it is funny & sweet that you would make the effort two years after to make up for it.

^This exactly.

What have you got? Is it food? Is it for me? I want it whatever it is!

faithlessone

« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2012, 11:17:04 AM »
Right, will do!

Most of them are for family (I come from a massive family), so I'm sure they'll find it hilarious!! ;D

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2012, 11:41:04 AM »
In fact, I would say that the funnier you can make the note on the back, the better it'll all go over.

And hey--ANY contact w/ people is a good thing.

The Wild One, Forever

« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2012, 02:12:24 PM »
I just found 2 weeks ago thank you notes that my DD had written 4 years ago and had got put back in the box waiting for me to get some addresses for her.  I put them in a separate envelope with a note from me explaining the delay.

This is exactly what I did several years ago when I found unsent TY notes from my son's First Holy Communion stuffed into the back of a desk drawer.  The event had taken place over a year prior and I don't know when I'd have found them, had it not been for the fact that we were packing for a move.   I am thankful for two things.  One, I have very good natured and understanding friends and family.  Two, I'd mailed my mother-in-law's note the very day after my son's party.  TY notes are her "big thing",  and she's right about that.  It actually hurts her feelings not to receive prompt thanks in writing, and for all the issues she and I have had throughout the years, I respect her and don't want to cause her any distress.

I also agree that written communication is always most welcome.  It thrills me to go out to the mailbox and find personal correspondence. 
Soft silly music is meaningful, magical

ttaylor

« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2012, 01:07:28 AM »
I would probably mail them and blame the post office... LOL just kidding... kinda  ;)